dcsimg

The Hack Hall of Fame V4

Viewing 5 posts - 881 through 885 (of 885 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Once I opened the door for the guard for the pulley. I saw that the key was missing from pulley. Someone had a bolt thread in the key way.

That was not very nice. Keyways are not that hard to find. If you can’t find an exact fit buy a bit bigger and hand file to size.

No it wasn’t. I guess this a good reason. You should never pay too much for used equipment. Yes your right keyways are not to hard to find. Just alittle difficult now with Covid. I would have to say this took place before Covid. I remember my Dad filing a keyway to make fit when I was a kid.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Once I opened the door for the guard for the pulley. I saw that the key was missing from pulley. Someone had a bolt thread in the key way.

That was not very nice. Keyways are not that hard to find. If you can’t find an exact fit buy a bit bigger and hand file to size.

Exactly, but that would be doing it right, and involve a hand tool, too many people prefer quick and are afraid of hand work 🙂

Very good point. Alot of people couldn’t be bothered taking the time to do things right. I am sure if they are just lazy or they feel they fixed it right by the way they did it. Honestly I don’t think we will ever know.

Greg

Exactly, but that would be doing it right, and involve a hand tool, too many people prefer quick and are afraid of hand work 🙂

Oh man , I don’t know how many times I’ve seen younger guys pull out the high speed grinder , grind it down super fast , but after a few weeks or day’s of the motor turning high speed in both directions , doesn’t take too long before it’s snagged because of backlash 🤷‍♂️ , definitely hand filling is better sometimes

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

, definitely hand filling is better sometimes

What do you mean by sometimes?? 🤷‍♂️

Greg

, definitely hand filling is better sometimes

What do you mean by sometimes?? 🤷‍♂️

I mean as apposed to using power tools by hand 🤷‍♂️

Power tools are good , but sometimes not for everything

In aircraft , we use pulleys and sprockets , but our tolerance is closer than what is needed for a bandsaw
    So hand filling will get you closer in tolerance as apposed to grinding to much then having backlash

Viewing 5 posts - 881 through 885 (of 885 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.027 seconds