dcsimg

The Hack Hall of Fame V4

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 903 total)
  • Author

Working in this crawlspace I loved some insulation and found somebody with less brain than advertised had left multiple live, cut wires just shoved up in there…most were just simply cut so the neutral and hot were as far apart from each other as they are inside the jacket! I can’t believe it didn’t short, arc or start a fire down there! I can’t believe someone would do that! It’s an old house so it looks like someone started replacing the older wiring with newer stuff and just got lazy/ made some bad assumptions about what was live or not, but all it took was my little circuit tester to plainly show that these were not good to go. So I took some time and individually capped and wrapped each exposed wire, live or not.

Yikes
    That’s not a good find
    Can you put it in a plastic junction box until you or she gets a sparky to look at the rest of the wiring

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Working in this crawlspace I shoved some insulation and found somebody with less brain than advertised had left multiple live, cut wires just shoved up in there…most were just simply cut so the neutral and hot were as far apart from each other as they are inside the jacket! I can’t believe it didn’t short, arc or start a fire down there! I can’t believe someone would do that! It’s an old house so it looks like someone started replacing the older wiring with newer stuff and just got lazy/ made some bad assumptions about what was live or not, but all it took was my little circuit tester to plainly show that these were not good to go. So I took some time and individually capped and wrapped each exposed wire, live or not.

No wonder electrical screw ups is the leading cause of house fires. Amazing it never caught fire on them. Are the homeowners aware it needs to be properly redressed?

I let the lady know right away and went and took care of it. I just wonder how much more there is like that. Luckily (for her) I’ll be pulling a lot of the insulation out, at least around the foundation, and exposing a lot of the potential problem areas, so if there are more then I should be able to address them as I go.

They are lucky you found it and have now taken care of it. It sure makes you wonder what people thinking when they do stuff like that.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Working in this crawlspace I loved some insulation and found somebody with less brain than advertised had left multiple live, cut wires just shoved up in there…most were just simply cut so the neutral and hot were as far apart from each other as they are inside the jacket! I can’t believe it didn’t short, arc or start a fire down there! I can’t believe someone would do that! It’s an old house so it looks like someone started replacing the older wiring with newer stuff and just got lazy/ made some bad assumptions about what was live or not, but all it took was my little circuit tester to plainly show that these were not good to go. So I took some time and individually capped and wrapped each exposed wire, live or not.

Yikes
    That’s not a good find
    Can you put it in a plastic junction box until you or she gets a sparky to look at the rest of the wiring

Just install octogons with covers for all of the one’s you come accross. You should be doing that at a min. Just tape and marret is not adequate. What if she never calls a sparky.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Yikes
    That’s not a good find

That’s a good idea Brian. I will do that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Charlie

Instagram

CB
    Spectator

Found a semi ridgid smooth wall aluminum gas line at end of day yesterday.

Still scratching my head how the inspector passed it. I found it kinked wall to wall in four places. I cleared the area and asked the home owner to feel each kinks with her own fingernail.

Aluminum, not corrugated, can only tolerate one bend, much less one constrictive kink, before another move fatigues the kinked area into a crack. The crack can release gas into the closed room even when there is no demand for gas by the appliance it serves, and as soon as a light switch or the electric motor of the adjacent appliance turns on…

Again, I can’t believe this aluminum tubing for gas passed inspection. I shut the branch down. At least there was a valve between the iron pipe and the aluminum branch to do so. The aluminum tubing went from the water heater feed to the attic, all the way to another room. I went back to the property today to follow the line in the attic, and it was pinched in various places along the rafters, but not totally kinked as it is in the laundry room.

Still, I think it all needs to come out. Wouldn’t you say so?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Doesn’t gas usually go through a copper line up there?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Copper for gas? I’ve never heard of that – I’ve only ever seen black iron pipe…that’s interesting. Is it still a low pressure delivery system? Ours is right around 2 PSI – pretty sure anyway.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Again, I can’t believe this aluminum tubing for gas passed inspection.

That doesn’t seem right, aluminum is too brittle for a gas line.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@CB wow that could have been deadly
    Here we use black steel galvanized or corrugated stainless steel for more flexibility
    Good luck with that hopefully it gets taken care of properly

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Copper for gas? I’ve never heard of that – I’ve only ever seen black iron pipe…that’s interesting. Is it still a low pressure delivery system? Ours is right around 2 PSI – pretty sure anyway.

Copper is used here from the black iron distribution line to individual appliances. I have never heard of aluminum being used for gas.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

@cb Glad you found that. I am amazed at some of the stupid things people do. When it comes to electric or gas it should always be done by someone that knows what they are doing.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

@cb wow that could have been deadly
    Here we use black steel galvanized or corrugated stainless steel for more flexibility
    Good luck with that hopefully it gets taken care of properly

I had friends that worked installing gas services. They had the welder make them firewood racks from the gas pipe they used. The gas pipe had a yellow plastic coating on it.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Found a semi ridgid smooth wall aluminum gas line at end of day yesterday.

Still scratching my head how the inspector passed it. I found it kinked wall to wall in four places. I cleared the area and asked the home owner to feel each kinks with her own fingernail.

Aluminum, not corrugated, can only tolerate one bend, much less one constrictive kink, before another move fatigues the kinked area into a crack. The crack can release gas into the closed room even when there is no demand for gas by the appliance it serves, and as soon as a light switch or the electric motor of the adjacent appliance turns on…

Again, I can’t believe this aluminum tubing for gas passed inspection. I shut the branch down. At least there was a valve between the iron pipe and the aluminum branch to do so. The aluminum tubing went from the water heater feed to the attic, all the way to another room. I went back to the property today to follow the line in the attic, and it was pinched in various places along the rafters, but not totally kinked as it is in the laundry room.

Still, I think it all needs to come out. Wouldn’t you say so?

You sure it’s not flexible stainless steel?

monman1
    Pro

Here are some good pics of other framers in my area. The plywood was nailed but all the nail where shot thru the plywood. And then there was the fascia boards, there just so bad.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Here are some good pics of other framers in my area. The plywood was nailed but all the nail where shot thru the plywood. And then there was the fascia boards, there just so bad.

Wow, that’s some serious curve!

Charlie

Instagram

CB
    Spectator

Found a semi rigid smooth wall aluminum gas line at end of day yesterday.

You sure it’s not flexible stainless steel?

Sorry, I had missed this question earlier.

Reminded me of how to distinguish Frito Lay potato chips.

https://youtu.be/_0zxGMOo3zU

Doobie

Reminded me of how to distinguish Frito Lay potato chips.

https://youtu.be/_0zxGMOo3zU

I totally don’t get that. What do Ruffles Chips have to do with this?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Wow, that’s some serious curve!

2 of them: one in the middle and another one at the end.
    They didn’t cut the rafters to be equal.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Definitely not your quality of work. That looks really bad.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That would be unacceptable by even an amateur like me. These guys call themselves pros?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 903 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.753 seconds