dcsimg

The Hack Hall of Fame V4

This topic contains 608 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 8 hours, 53 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 609 total)
  • Author

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ohj brother.. ive been installing wood siding on a place out of town…. typically the guy who sides it dows the aluminum cladding.. however on this job the roofing is red metal so all box end returns, fascia and metal soffit was done by the roofers… they made a absolute mess of it

soffit. its up and down worse than a roller coaster.. they didnt snap chalk lines to set their f channel too. also about 20% of the soffit isnt locked into itself or installed square coming off the building

box end returns.. first rule of box ends is level and plumb… these guys have them installed upwards of 1″ out of level on 16″ and 1″ out of plumb on 9 ” .. its pathetic

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

ohj brother.. ive been installing wood siding on a place out of town…. typically the guy who sides it dows the aluminum cladding.. however on this job the roofing is red metal so all box end returns, fascia and metal soffit was done by the roofers… they made a absolute mess of it

soffit. its up and down worse than a roller coaster.. they didnt snap chalk lines to set their f channel too. also about 20% of the soffit isnt locked into itself or installed square coming off the building

box end returns.. first rule of box ends is level and plumb… these guys have them installed upwards of 1″ out of level on 16″ and 1″ out of plumb on 9 ” .. its pathetic

Even without pics, I can visualize this! That’s pathetic!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Taking lumber home from the big box

Good golly what an idiot.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Clev08
    Pro

I was in a house this weekend that had 5, yes 5 different kinds of casing within 20 feet of each other.there was also wide open inside and outside corners of base, proud nails on the transitions between wood and tile, and unfilled nail holes everywhere.

Doobie
    Pro

I was in a house this weekend that had 5, yes 5 different kinds of casing within 20 feet of each other.there was also wide open inside and outside corners of base, proud nails on the transitions between wood and tile, and unfilled nail holes everywhere.

That’s gotta be a HO job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

There are plenty of “professionals” doing that kind of work and getting paid well for it, too.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

There are plenty of “professionals” doing that kind of work and getting paid well for it, too.

Agreed. I met one this week that actually had the balls to ask ME to sub for HIM at half of my normal rate!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    @jkirk wrote:

Did you have to take it all down and start all over again???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

The guys that did it we’re sent back out to redo two of the box and returns. we will be straightening out the crooked fascia ourselves though.

All of the metal is fastened with the rubberized washer metal screws so we can just back them off to fix it

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That’s explainable: they left the space to allow for the usual MDF movement. You know, it dries, it expands, it needs a bit of space. Like any other wood.
    At least that’s my theory 😀

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The guy I mentioned above (hack in his own right) asked me to look at a job because he couldn’t get to it…while there looking at some wood rot, I noticed that ALL of the trim was installed with drywall screws! Worse yet, the next piece over from the one pictured is actually backward and clearly stamped with James Hardie logos every 24 inches or so.

Attachments:

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s explainable: they left the space to allow for the usual MDF movement. You know, it dries, it expands, it needs a bit of space. Like any other wood.
    At least that’s my theory 😀

Haha yeah that’s what I thought also, a bit of latex caulking, and presto won’t even notice it Lmao.
    But to be honest, I have never encountered any door casing like that before?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

too.

Agreed. I met one this week that actually had the balls to ask ME to sub for HIM at half of my normal rate!

LOL really? How did you handle that situation?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie
    Pro

ALL of the trim was installed with drywall screws! Worse yet, the next piece over from the one pictured is actually backward and clearly stamped with James Hardie logos every 24 inches or so.

That’s pretty bad. If that’s been there for some years it may be a bunch of screws just snapping on you trying to remove them.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The guy I mentioned above (hack in his own right) asked me to look at a job because he couldn’t get to it…while there looking at some wood rot, I noticed that ALL of the trim was installed with drywall screws! Worse yet, the next piece over from the one pictured is actually backward and clearly stamped with James Hardie logos every 24 inches or so.

Some guys just know more than the manufacturer; ask them, they will tell you, no problem. lol

Doobie
    Pro

Some guys just know more than the manufacturer; ask them, they will tell you, no problem. lol

And Hardie is something you need to do right. Water or wet snow not being able to drain away or stay in prolonged contact is the worst thing for it. You need to stay away 8in from grade and 2in from where walls meet roofs. I don’t think that that top edge of that piece used as horizontal trim like that is recommended at all even if it has a painted edge and caulked.

I just can’t believe anybody would use drywall screws in any outdoor application especially with the corrosive nature of cememt board. Obviously done by someone who never even glanced at their install manual.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Well, he is clearly a smooth talker. Even got you to go look at a job. That fits the stereotype of contractor we see a lot of in this thread.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Thats just a shame and a waste, when working with a nice product like that.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I noticed that ALL of the trim was installed with drywall screws!

Man that is bad. What amazes me is what the customer will accept.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I noticed that ALL of the trim was installed with drywall screws!

Man that is bad. What amazes me is what the customer will accept.

That’s the biggest problem, Bill, the average consumer doesn’t know the difference and the contractor doesn’t care. No pride of workmanship at all.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 609 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.869 seconds