dcsimg

The Hack Hall of Fame V3

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author
    Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I will try to get some better pics next week on a home we are buying. Roof was installed less than 3 years ago, and is one of the worst I have ever seen. Plywood not breaking on trusses, zero flashings, vents/boots install wrong, visible fasteners, and smaller shingles pieced in in the field.

Initially I though maybe I could do a few band aids since I have so much other work to do, but I now realize all of the roof must be redone before I get any drywall installed. I am sure this thing leaked the first time it rained.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I will try to get some better pics next week on a home we are buying. Roof was installed less than 3 years ago, and is one of the worst I have ever seen. Plywood not breaking on trusses, zero flashings, vents/boots install wrong, visible fasteners, and smaller shingles pieced in in the field.

Initially I though maybe I could do a few band aids since I have so much other work to do, but I now realize all of the roof must be redone before I get any drywall installed. I am sure this thing leaked the first time it rained.

I hope you are getting this house for a good price, sounds like you have some work to do on it!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here is the pic of hack job I mentioned in a previous post.

Why is that an open frame wall? Is that in the garage?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

maybe you can do a video of the whole project, could be interesting to see what steps you will take.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

quite a nice bow in that 2×4. seems to be in a basement or so?!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Somebody really sucks at basic framing skills. Rip it out and redo imo. It’s beyond any bandaid solutions.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Using up all the leftover bits of 2×4’s?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I hope you are getting this house for a good price, sounds like you have some work to do on it!

We did get a pretty good price, but the whole roof deal almost blew it. Homeowner got about 9k for wind damage to the roof 3 years ago and didn’t disclose it initially. I did my own inspection, and knew the roof was but a few years old. I found several issues and was going to try to band aid it for the time being. After they revealed the settlement, I went over and did a very thorough inspection of just the roof. Turns out my band aid would have been wasted money, as nothing is worth saving. I was tempted to renegotiate, but I knew that could open the place back up for other offers, so I just accepted it.

We have about 40-45000 planned in reno, plus another 40k to add a really nice garage. The whole first floor is gonna be reworked, as the location of the kitchen, bath, and laundry will all get moved. I have a 40 yard dumpster coming Friday, so we are gonna jump on it and get things rolling.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Somebody really sucks at basic framing skills. Rip it out and redo imo. It’s beyond any bandaid solutions.

I don’t know but I assume that the 2×4 bowed in the drying progress. Might have looked perfect when the wall was framed.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

RyanF
    Pro

Why put a remodel can in the cavity when you can put it in the bottom chord of a truss?

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

And they hacked apart the girder truss too… solid.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Why put a remodel can in the cavity when you can put it in the bottom chord of a truss?

Nice work. LOL Guess they figured that extra board was there just for looks.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Obviously. The decision of where it has to go matters a lot more than where the cavities happen to be

Obviously. The decision of where it has to go matters a lot more than where the cavities happen to be

Maybe they wanted to make sure it would be solid Lmao 😉

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Going for how it looked on the outside rather on how it was installed.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Why did you cut the bottom cord of the guider ???? You never cut a truss or guider.
    Edit==== sorry I’m in the hack thread,,, Some people just have no idea. Sad.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not only is this “thing” ugly and just plain weird…it was built like crap too!

The 6×6 posts are apparently original, but all of the cladding as replaced last fall. 245 tubes of caulking AND window glazing compound later, and it’s fall I g apart!

The pine cladding was installed with a 16ga nail gun and as 23 vs pinner. None if the fasteners are outdoor rated either!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That sire is interesting. Kind of a pergola walkway?

What are you going to do with it?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Not only is this “thing” ugly and just plain weird…it was built like crap too!

Jon I believe that is for grapevines. A lot of people construct those and then plant grapevines that work their way up and eventually provide shade as well as fruit. My grandparents had a set up like that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Clev08
    Pro

Found this one in the basement of a new build we are trimming. I first noticed the dip in the floor when i was walking over it. It’s just under a half inch dip in the floor.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 1,002 total)
  • The topic ‘The Hack Hall of Fame V3’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.163 seconds