dcsimg

The Great Sandpaper Debate

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Here’s the Abranet HD, super agressive open coat discs. It’s the go-to option for Abranet discs below 80 grit.

That is an aggressive looking cutting surface. For rough work they look to be more aggressive than sandpaper.

More than any of the other types/grits of Abranet, this stuff looks quite a lot like a drywall sanding screen. I know that they are all designed in the same format, but given the huge gullets in the disc, they are certain to hog off the material! Hopefully, the swirl marks will be minimal as they are with other grits vs the competitions paper in the same grit.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I may have to pick up a box of this the next time I need to do some hardcore stock / finish removal, I mostly use 80 grit and above.

Will

I’ve been using Mirka with good results. I recently tried a sheet that came with a new ROS that TackLife sent me and the stock paper was HORRIBLE. So it is extremely obvious to me that the paper makes a HUGE difference. I only tried the stock paper because it had 180 grit which I do not have in Mirka supply. Needless to say I will NOT be using that stock paper. As for Festool I wouldn’t know. I’ve never owned and black and green.

I will use 40 grit for removal of a very rough piece. Other than that I will start at 80 > 120> 220 for cutting boards.

I see in an email yesterday that Festool has announced their own line of Granat mesh sandpaper discs which enhance the ability to capture the dust. $39 for 50 discs. Guess they saw the light on this type of sanding material.

Doobie

I see in an email yesterday that Festool has announced their own line of Granat mesh sandpaper discs which enhance the ability to capture the dust. $39 for 50 discs. Guess they saw the light on this type of sanding material.

I’ll have to check that out. I wonder if they are making it themselves or just using a third party.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@pi_woodworker
    , where did you find them?

I can only find European stores!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

The email was from Festoolproducts.com:

https://www.festoolproducts.com/accessories/sanders/abrasives/ets-ec-125-abrasives/festool-granat-net-for-5-125mm-sanders-80-400-grit-50-pack.html

Sorry I was off on the price – $55 per box of $50. I note they have nothing in stock so I would take it this is too new to be here yet.

Doobie

@pi_woodworker, where did you find them?

I can only find European stores!

The email was from Festoolproducts.com:

https://www.festoolproducts.com/accessories/sanders/abrasives/ets-ec-125-abrasives/festool-granat-net-for-5-125mm-sanders-80-400-grit-50-pack.html

Sorry I was off on the price – $55 per box of $50. I note they have nothing in stock so I would take it this is too new to be here yet.

Toolnut is a USA retailer. Shane Holland formerly of the FOG and Festool USA works for them now so it would seem legit to me.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wonder if it comes with that wonderful Festool price?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

There’s actually quite a few things new coming out from Festool. Along with new pads for their sanders and new Abranet type sanding discs, their CT vacs are getting a facelift and BT capable. The hoses are redesigned as well. Domino hardware connectors for the 500 Domino model. Bunch of cool stuff frankly including a mortar/cement mixer.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-sales-dealer-area/new!-bluetooth-remote-new-accessories-new-abrasives-new-mx-1200-mixer-(us)/?topicseen

Let’s try to stay on the topic of sandpaper and not steal this thread on new Green Koolaid though. I was just looking for more on the Abranet sanding stuff from Festool for NA and tripped over all the other new stuff which I couldn’t find info on anywhere else.

Doobie

I was moving stuff around yesterday and had to pull this storage unit I have for my Ridgid oscillating spindle sander drums. I bought the sander around 15 years ago and this storage unit for it with all the drums has been semi buried for years and it’s kind of embarrassing explaining the history behind this and why I have so many and how I’m gonna look like a real toolnut/glutton, but here goes.

I had just bought my Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander and in and around the same time HD decided that they were clearing out their stock of the spindles for this sander which were sold individually and were now going to package the spindles in multi-packs. Not knowing much at the time of how frequently I would need to use the spindles or how fast I’d go thru them in usage and seeing they were at a great price on clearance, I went and bought all I could get my hands on.

The stocking/shelving unit was actually the one they had in one of the HDs that they had built themselves to display them for sale that I went to buy their remaining stock of spindle drums where the dept manager offered it to me for free since I was clearing out all his stock anyways and he had no use for it otherwise. I can’t complain as it has been certainly better than making something similar myself or having them all strewn about in a box otherwise.

Here’s the thing, what has happened is I rarely ever use the spindles at all with my unit. Almost 100% of the time I just have it set up in belt sanding mode. The spindle sanding medium is actually decent quality and seem to last a long time as well, but I’ve maybe used the spindles a dozen times in all the time I’ve had this sander. I frankly think I’m never gonna use all these spindles in my lifetime but I’m reluctant to do anything other than keep them somewhere in case I do go thru them at some excessive rate for some unknown as yet job in the future.

Now, I’ve got to figure out where to put this thing. The place it was tucked into for years is no longer available which was basically in wifey’s office under her desk. She gave it the boot when we were organizing furniture and stuff in there for a new desktop computer for her and my son to use instead of their laptops. Had a feeling when that can of worms got opened I was gonna need to find it a new home for it….Doh!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I had the same problem with a chop saw, table saw, and a miter saw, eventually bought a tool cart that can hold all 3 and wheel it to wherever i need it rather than bury them under stuff.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I had the same problem with a chop saw, table saw, and a miter saw, eventually bought a tool cart that can hold all 3 and wheel it to wherever i need it rather than bury them under stuff.

I put everything on wheels wherever I can. It just makes shop life much easier.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.922 seconds