dcsimg

The Great Sandpaper Debate

This topic contains 73 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author

JerrySats
    Pro
    Swedesboro, New Jersey

I use nothing but Granat on my power sanders I find it last a long time . To me its worth the extra money .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Abranet is all I use now.

I saw those at HD and really need to try them out. Looks like they will last a bit longer and still cut.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

After trying the Mirka Abranet for a while, I’ve concluded that its much better than the Festool Rubin 2. Not only does it last longer, but it leaves a better finish and virtually no swirl marks in comparison. From what I can gather, it lasts quite a bit longer too (certainly doesn’t cake up when sanding pine or similar).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

After trying the Mirka Abranet for a while, I’ve concluded that its much better than the Festool Rubin 2. Not only does it last longer, but it leaves a better finish and virtually no swirl marks in comparison. From what I can gather, it lasts quite a bit longer too (certainly doesn’t cake up when sanding pine or similar).

Same conclusion for me as well. I’ve transitioned everything I can over the years to using Abranet.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

staker
    Pro

I have only tried Diablo as it’s at HD. I find it works for me.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Same conclusion for me as well. I’ve transitioned everything I can over the years to using Abranet.

I’m having a bit of an internal debate here…should I buy a bunch of Abranet now and keep the basically full boxes of Rubin 2 or wait until the Rubin is gone before buying the Abranet…

Unfortunately, the Rubin 2 paper is in boxes of 50, most of which have 40 or so sheets in them…

I’ve never used it, as HD is about 45 minutes from me. Does it leave red marks on stuff like their saw blades?

Jon P.
    Instagram

I’m having a bit of an internal debate here…should I buy a bunch of Abranet now and keep the basically full boxes of Rubin 2 or wait until the Rubin is gone before buying the Abranet…

Use the Rubin except for the final sanding. Then switch to the Abranet. That should get your money’s worth out of most of it.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Use the Rubin except for the final sanding. Then switch to the Abranet. That should get your money’s worth out of most of it.

When I went thru that I simply kept my good paper backed discs as backup stock mostly. I still use it up on occasion.

Some of the more cheapo papers I had I gave away with an old B&D sander to a friend who helped me out I knew I would never use again.

Some of my old papers get used up for simply roughing up painted surfaces before repainting where swirly marks won’t matter.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

I have really liked the Abranet as compared to the dozen other varieties I have used, occasionally I try and use up some of the other stuff I have and it reminds me why I like the Abranet. I also purchased some Autonet to try, it is supposed to be a slightly cheaper version of Abranet for the “competitive” market of autofinishing.

Will

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have really liked the Abranet as compared to the dozen other varieties I have used, occasionally I try and use up some of the other stuff I have and it reminds me why I like the Abranet. I also purchased some Autonet to try, it is supposed to be a slightly cheaper version of Abranet for the “competitive” market of autofinishing.

@wbembrid Isn’t the Autonet supposed to be thinner? Does it tear more easily?

If I had one complaint about the Abranet, it would be that the edges are easily damaged. Is the Autonet worse in this regard?

Jon P.
    Instagram

@wbembrid Isn’t the Autonet supposed to be thinner? Does it tear more easily?

If I had one complaint about the Abranet, it would be that the edges are easily damaged. Is the Autonet worse in this regard?

It does seem to tear more easily, however the tearing happens at the edges when you impact with another surface or are trying to push it into a corner, compress it or around a sharp corner. I have not had it tear when sanding a flat or gently curved surface, which is what I assume it is designed for.

Will

staker
    Pro

staker wrote:

I’ve never used it, as HD is about 45 minutes from me. Does it leave red marks on stuff like their saw blades?

I use the 120 for rough and 220 for finish and no marks.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

They have a type they just released last year with more durable edges, but IIRC it is only available in a few of the coarser grits. I think I linked about this not too long ago.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/mirka-powers-ahead-abranet-ace-hd?utm_source=Canadian+Woodworking+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e476f28d6a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_490231050d-e476f28d6a-78214013

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Recently used Diablo’s mesh pads. SandNet or something. Used 80 and 120 grit on bosch ROS20 sanders with vac hose connected. We had about 40 hours of sanding and ended up going back to diablo 80 grit pads. The mesh wasn’t holding up to proud edges on mitered joints but worked well on flat surfaces and really well on fills and for blending the transition between filler and wood on larger fills. They’re pretty good but I’ll want to use the remaining pads on some other various projects to know whether they’d be worth the extra cost. Right now I feel like they’re great for most sanding but not worth it to me. I’m always having to correct edges and joints and they don’t hold up for that. The pads are seeming to be best all around use and cost as of yet.

j

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

For me I’ll just stick with regular snadpaper. The alternatives always have some kind of limitations as a trade-off.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

For me I’ll just stick with regular snadpaper. The alternatives always have some kind of limitations as a trade-off.

I have found the same thing, Bill. There is always some sort of limitation with the premium systems. Mesh sanding discs are very appealing for dust collection but durability is the trade off.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

I have found the same thing, Bill. There is always some sort of limitation with the premium systems. Mesh sanding discs are very appealing for dust collection but durability is the trade off.

Against snags, I agree. But on smooth-is surfaces, they get a much longer life.

I stick to traditional below 100 grit, have both in the 100-180 range, and start on Mesh only as of 220 or so, up to 2000 (my highest grit generally)

Mesh on raw wood is just going to rip, but once at 120 or so it rarely will, and by 220 only if you do something really really wrong

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks like my post concerning Abranet HD was filled in a recent server issue….

Here’s the Abranet HD, super agressive open coat discs. It’s the go-to option for Abranet discs below 80 grit.

Jon P.
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here’s the Abranet HD, super agressive open coat discs. It’s the go-to option for Abranet discs below 80 grit.

That is an aggressive looking cutting surface. For rough work they look to be more aggressive than sandpaper.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Looks like my post concerning Abranet HD was filled in a recent server issue….

Ok then, I will have to have a second look at this product. Good to know there is an option for the coarse grits.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.463 seconds