dcsimg

The Great Sandpaper Debate

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 2 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

There are just too many options out there…some good, and a bunch of junk.

I recently got a Festool Rotex 150 and bought a decent supply of their Rubin 2 discs for it (I primarily sand bare wood). Needless to say, the Festool paper is expensive…but I’m less than thrilled with the longevity of the Rubin 2. This led me to research a bunch of alternatives.

Prior to Rotex, I used Mirka Gold paper, with similar results to the Rubin 2 (at a substantially lower cost). I was okay switching discs given the price, but I’m over doing that at Festool prices!

A couple questions: Is the Festool Granat actually a longer lasting paper? Should I buy into the Mirka Abranet?

Other paper related questions are certainly welcome here too!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Great thread, Jon, and one that we can all benefit from.

I don’t have a wide experience to draw on but I have used Bosch paper from Amazon, Sia from my local industrial supply and Klingspor PS33 from Skookum tools. The Klingspor is the cheapest (.25/5″, .33/6″ each) and far outperforms the others in my experience. Results are based on Dewalt 5″ ROS and Bosch 1250DEVS 6″.

I have heard about good results as well from Norton and Gator.

Edit: https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/sanders/sanding-discs

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

The “big” names in abrasives got big for a reason. 3M, Norton, Klingspor and a few others are worth the money. It isn’t just the consistency in grit, it is also what the grit is, and the bonding material used, as well as the backing it’s stuck to. Cheap paper just isn’t worth it. Particularly when you think that it is the last thing the wood sees before the finish goes on.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have an abrasives company in the industrial part of town and they can cut up any shape and size and do the holes where ever needed for the best price but you need to buy a good supply.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’ve gradually gone Abranet wherever I can. It lasts a long time versus any paper backed papers and they cost less in the scheme of it all. You also don’t have to try lining up the holes like in other papers.

While I don’t have any yet, Abranet came out with their discs with a reinforced edging about a year ago which prevents the edges from fraying/wearing as quickly. Can’t recall what they call it off hand versus their regular disks.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve gradually gone Abranet wherever I can. It lasts a long time versus any paper backed papers and they cost less in the scheme of it all. You also don’t have to try lining up the holes like in other papers.

While I don’t have any yet, Abranet came out with their discs with a reinforced edging about a year ago which prevents the edges from fraying/wearing as quickly. Can’t recall what they call it off hand versus their regular disks.

@doobie, is it Abranet HD or Ace maybe?

Jon P.
    Instagram

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Custom door shop and cabinet shops I worked at used Mirka Gold disks. So in my shop I have continued purchasing Mirka – no complaints using them with the Dewalt ROS’s I use.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ve only ever used SIA abrasive and Gator, and the difference was incredible. The Gator just did not last as long, or cut as nice.
    I tend to stick with what I know, and for the amount of sanding I do, SIA has met the mark for me. I am waiting for the Diablo Sandnet to show up locally though.
    Oh, and all of the above was in use on a Dewalt 5″ ros.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

I have the Rotex also and bought the Rubin paper. I like Doobie, have moved on to the Mirka Abranet and am very pleased with it. I have been using primarily 120 to 220 grit and the finish is smooth as silk when done. It definitely lasts longer. The Festool Rubin is being used for initial sanding 60 to 80 grit.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I think it’s the Ace product Jon. Has a tougher mesh.

Kevin.

A couple questions: Is the Festool Granat actually a longer lasting paper?

I find Granat lasts longer than Rubin or Rubin 2 – it is my preferred Festool paper. I have lots of Rubin 2 which I use for base wood and like the finish, but Granat is better overall in my opinion and that is what I will replace the grits with as I use my supply.

Orange County, CA

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

I’ve had good experiences with 3m, Diablo and Norton disks. I’m about to try out the diablo sandnet disks in a couple of weeks but have not used them yet. They look good.

j

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like 3M and Norton. Have used them both since the 70s. Blowing out the paper or using an abrasive cleaner helps.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I think it’s the Ace product Jon. Has a tougher mesh.

I found the article I read it from this past July. While the standard Ace is a stronger mesh the Ace HD is an even stronger mesh but it only available in the coarser grits.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/mirka-powers-ahead-abranet-ace-hd?utm_source=Canadian+Woodworking+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e476f28d6a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_490231050d-e476f28d6a-78214013

@jponto07

Kevin.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Klingspor and 3M for me. Mostly 3M as it’s more easily available in store. But when I order online I get Klingspor. For hook and loop discs (5inch) I use Diablo (by Freud) from Home Depot.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have nothing too add. I looking forward to following along.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I just added a Festool ETS EC 150/3 to my sanding lineup. if it doesn’t take to the Rubin 2, I’m going to jump into the Abranet I think. I spend far too much time sanding to deal with subpar abrasives.

Jon P.
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

We’ve talked here about material removal, durability, price, availability and so on but there is another factor. What are we comfortable using? The paper I use is easy to get, effective for my needs and I really don’t see any need to change. It may not be “the best” paper by some standards but it works for me.
    Reliability, I guess, is the most important consideration for me.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

Our local NAPA store carries Norton in sheets, so that is what I usually go for. There have been exceptions, like when I found bundles of 3M at the Habitat Re-Store cheap. I keep sheets from 80 grit to 2000 grit on hand for the variety of work I do.

For the disc sander I have used both Home Hardware brand and Gator and have not been overly impressed or disappointed, it is only recently I got some Klingspor and that is a lot nicer. Sometimes you don’t know until you are exposed to a better alternative than what you are used to.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I just added a Festool ETS EC 150/3 to my sanding lineup. if it doesn’t take to the Rubin 2, I’m going to jump into the Abranet I think. I spend far too much time sanding to deal with subpar abrasives.

You are going to love that sander by the way. It is my go-to sander. Going to the Abranet, get the backer pad they make to save the sander’s pad from wear.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.750 seconds