dcsimg

The Game Changer

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

No use of those but they sure look interesting with the carbide tip. Do you do a lot of metal cutting?

It is not heavy metal cutting. A lot of downspouts, gutters, random metal here and there and I notice that I really burn through the metal blades. With fall here and the leaves coming off the trees I am in the process of cleaning gutters and downspouts and as I do this I like to check for any that are split on the seam or just in need of replacement. The downspouts are thin but for some reason they are real rough on the blade. It could be that brand new 18v fuel saw that I am using them in.

Carbide tip sounds great, Just make sure you get the ones made for thin metal (more teeth per inch) for cutting downspouts and gutters.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

No use of those but they sure look interesting with the carbide tip. Do you do a lot of metal cutting?

It is not heavy metal cutting. A lot of downspouts, gutters, random metal here and there and I notice that I really burn through the metal blades. With fall here and the leaves coming off the trees I am in the process of cleaning gutters and downspouts and as I do this I like to check for any that are split on the seam or just in need of replacement. The downspouts are thin but for some reason they are real rough on the blade. It could be that brand new 18v fuel saw that I am using them in.

Carbide tip sounds great, Just make sure you get the ones made for thin metal (more teeth per inch) for cutting downspouts and gutters.

Learned that the hard way a couple of years ago…Need more teeth! Good advice to anyone that may be learning…The more teeth the better the cut with thin metal

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Learned that the hard way a couple of years ago…Need more teeth! Good advice to anyone that may be learning…The more teeth the better the cut with thin metal

I always keep a few 12″ hacksaw blades in my toolbox that are 24 teeth per inch. There are times just having to pull one out to use for something.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

What is the best way to cut spouting? I always have a hard time cutting them. I cut the downspouts with a hacksaw and sometimes it comes out ok and sometimes the seam comes apart. Cutting the spouting I use tin snips and that works ok until I get to the bottom and it looks like I used a can opener.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What is the best way to cut spouting?

I would think a chop saw with something inside the spout to keep it from collapsing. But I am sure there is an easier way to get a nice neat cut.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

this is what I use, you poke the sharp point through the spout then it works like a shear to cut it. Works well on round ductwork also.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What is the best way to cut spouting? I always have a hard time cutting them. I cut the downspouts with a hacksaw and sometimes it comes out ok and sometimes the seam comes apart. Cutting the spouting I use tin snips and that works ok until I get to the bottom and it looks like I used a can opener.

A cutting wheel on a grinder work like butter too.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The wifes ex does exteriors; siding, trough, roofing. When he was doing some spouts for us he was using a utility knife. Quick, clean and easy. Same thing with openings in the trough for the spouts — utility knife!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think I like the @DirtyWhiteBoy idea. I have never seen snips like that before @kurt@welkerhomes.com . I cut long straight lines with my knife and snap it off but I don’t understand how you would cut the profile side of spouting with a knife.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I cut long straight lines with my knife and snap it off but I don’t understand how you would cut the profile side of spouting with a knife.

I have done the straight line thing myself. And it works well, But I don’t see it for the spout hole cuts?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think I like the @DirtyWhiteBoy idea. I have never seen snips like that before @kurt@welkerhomes.com . I cut long straight lines with my knife and snap it off but I don’t understand how you would cut the profile side of spouting with a knife.

He’s been doing this for 30 odd years. Just poke the knife through and pull. I was fascinated watching him doing it.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I will try the knife next time just to see what happens. I am thinking it may involve some stitches if you slip.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I will try the knife next time just to see what happens. I am thinking it may involve some stitches if you slip.

Ours is an older 2 storey home. PO had messed up with spouts when he had it reroofed so we asked Frank to come and fix the mess. He relocated the spouts in 4 places; used about 100′ of new spout and was done in a little over 2 hours.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I did 75′ on the back of my house about a month ago. It took me 2 days!
    Ladders on a hill was the biggest slow down and I took all the old spouting down and painted before putting up the new.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I like these blades.

I used to use the Lenox blade for cutting cast iron pipes. These are about 50% cheaper, and they cut fast. I mean faster then the Lenox blades. I pretty much use these blades for CI pipe cutting now.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I did 75′ on the back of my house about a month ago. It took me 2 days!

Yeah moving ladders can be a real pain and it is what slows you down. Paint, move, paint move, up and down.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.288 seconds