dcsimg

The End Of An ERA

This topic contains 39 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  crotalusco 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If you plan on competing with the big box you’d better offer something unique and better.

My lumberyard did a great job of servicing. They are even expanding.

Yes I agree! I hope everybody will support their local shops as much as possible.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I saw that article and thought what a shame. It would probably stay open if someone in the family wanted it but with no chain, easier to close it.

With the prime location next to the Excel center, and a lot of redevelopment going on in the area. The store and its warehouses were worth more dead that alive. I wish they would have tried to sell the business and moved it to a new location.

I agree, but I would imagine that selling that plot of space in such a great location left the owners in pretty fine shape financially – and it may have just been time to move on in a different direction, though it is sad to see something that was passed down generationally close :\

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Probably true but hate to see places like this close.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I agree, but I would imagine that selling that plot of space in such a great location left the owners in pretty fine shape financially

This always gives me a feeling that people are sell out’s. I can’t say that it is the case, but the thought comes to mind.

Anonymous

The first thing I thought of before I read it was the grandson or greatgrandson or whoever now owns the place through a hand-me-down is selling because he’s a spoiled rotten lazy kid that had a great business worth millions given to him. Then I read it and I still feel that way, As soon as I read he went to sunny California I knew. So sad, I hate to see old stores like this get ruined. I’ll bet grandpa is turning over in his grave, Think of all the hard times he went through to build this business up for himself and for his family and the generations to come. Then some kid sells out for the money to have the easy life…I’ll always remember the hardware store in the little town I grew up in, It was my favorite store in town

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I think Boyd hit the nail on the head. Wonder what his children are going to do when they get older. When the thread was started with the title “The end of an era”, it hit the nail on the head. It doesn’t simply affect the person selling, but the employee’s, accountant, community, and people across the nation. So sad.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Until you actually get into the nitty gritty of the financials, you never truly know how a business performs. I know they sold a lot of products and had fair prices and good people but in the end it may have been break even or worse. It may have made money but been to much of a distraction to other businesses the grandson had. I think part of the business was the location and moving it may have been the death nail. They may have tried to sell it as a business to move with no one in interested.

In the end, the dirt under everything was worth far more than keeping the business as a going concern. I cant fault the owner for making a good business decision. I just hope another store appears on the horizon that has salesmen with as much knowledge as this place did. I will be interested to see which other stores the employees end up at end enjoy running into them again.

The first thing I thought of before I read it was the grandson or greatgrandson or whoever now owns the place through a hand-me-down is selling because he’s a spoiled rotten lazy kid that had a great business worth millions given to him. Then I read it and I still feel that way, As soon as I read he went to sunny California I knew. So sad, I hate to see old stores like this get ruined. I’ll bet grandpa is turning over in his grave, Think of all the hard times he went through to build this business up for himself and for his family and the generations to come. Then some kid sells out for the money to have the easy life…I’ll always remember the hardware store in the little town I grew up in, It was my favorite store in town

It strikes me that you are expecting the person that inherited to have to run and keep the business. What if his vocational interests were chemistry or teaching or whatever. Should he have to keep the business because he was born into it. I own a small business and never expected my child to have to succeed me and own the business and my grandchild to follow from there and his child from there. I am sorry to see the business go but I am not going to make the seller into a bad guy.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes the children should do the same just like in the old days. A person was named after what the family did. The Bakes baked and the oh forgett it……………..

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

So inwasvin the store Tuesday and they still have a fair bit of Festool tools and accessories batv10% off. Just an FYI for any of v those Green Cool Aid drinkers out there

Anonymous

Most of the old suppliers to craftsman have gone by the wayside. They are locked out of competing with the big box stores by price negotiations. I miss suppliers who understand there products and how to use them. You can’t be an expert in everything and those sources could give you the knowlegde you needed to use a product properly.Stores these days are just catalog outlets where you can pick something up. Few have any real expertise. I guess we’re suppose to use the internet for that. If its on the net it must be true.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This system of the big co. buying up the smaller co. seems to be the way of the world today.

Dirty

KenW
    Pro

I was disappointed to see the local hardware store in town closed down. Don’t know why, but it had been there for years and years. If you needed something they more then likely carried it or understood what you needed and could order it. I’m thinking one reason for their closing is in part due to the new ‘throw away’ generation. Many things are just meant to be tossed into the garbage instead of repaired. The Lowes, HD and Walmart big business probably didn’t help the little guy either.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I’m in a town of less than 20K and there have been a couple of family run hardware stores here in the last three decades. One closed a few years ago.
    It was never the first place on the list to try, but when you couldn’t find something, they had one. Probably not two of them, but they had one. Wooden cabinets with drawers all over the store – no open bins. Still had parts to repair your wooden wagon wheel.
    Walking in was entering a time warp. The store was pretty dark. Everything slowed down. When someone asked how you were today, he expected an answer – a real one.
    The other store remains much the same, but the oldest inventory is a few decades newer. I’ve never seen anyone but the father-son owners behind the counter, and usually not both. Around the walls and on the top shelves old tools and equipment are on display. I’d been in a few times and never noticed them since they’re out of the line of sight. Once I looked up, and then spent a couple hours roaming the store with the owner as he told me the history of some of it.
    If I were nearer a big city, either of the two places could charge admission fees and profit more as a museum.

Home Depot and Lowes opened up in our city some time ago. There was a small hardware store in atomic (borough of Rochester) and downtown and they both went out of business. We have a lumber and hardware store called Brock’s that’s in the same parking lot as Home Dept. I was talking to one of the owners a few weeks ago and he was saying the Home Depot opening actually increased their sales because of the quality of lumber and flooring at HD is garbage compared to their own. He is correct

Anonymous

Home Depot and Lowes opened up in our city some time ago. There was a small hardware store in atomic (borough of Rochester) and downtown and they both went out of business. We have a lumber and hardware store called Brock’s that’s in the same parking lot as Home Dept. I was talking to one of the owners a few weeks ago and he was saying the Home Depot opening actually increased their sales because of the quality of lumber and flooring at HD is garbage compared to their own. He is correct

Boy I’ll agree to that, I figured it was just the lumber we get here in my area.

mjreich
    Pro
    Coon Rapids, MN

Never been in Seven Corners, but have been by it several times. My wife’s hometown just lost their only hardware store. Now its 40 minutes to Lowe’s anytime I need something for the mother in law’s house.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

If you plan on competing with the big box you’d better offer something unique and better.

I always do as long as they keep giving me deals 🙂

My lumberyard did a great job of servicing. They are even expanding.

Yes I agree! I hope everybody will support their local shops as much as possible.

staker
    Pro

We are lucky here that our little hardware store started to sell lumber about 6 years ago and keeps expanding their products other wise it’s 20 minute drive to town.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I try to buy at the local ace. He will even order things if he doesnt stock it. The problem is getting him close in price. If you actually need something hardware they have it over HD or menards, but you will pay for it

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.367 seconds