dcsimg

The End Of An ERA

This topic contains 39 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  crotalusco 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This was a great old time tool store (Possibly the Best). main floor was a general hardware store and second floor was all power tools ans accessories. If they did not have it, you did not need it.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/building-materials/seven-corners-hardware-to-close-after-80-years-in-business_o.aspx?dfpzone=news&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TOTTU_030414&day=2014-03-04

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I hate to see classic hardware stores go away. Milwaukee still has a few iconic stores left but they are dropping like flies.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I hate it too, but prices can have a lot to do with it as well. Our local “hardware” store puts things on 20% off sales and are still 20% high on prices. With amazon being SOOOOO easy these days its hard to compete with brick and morter stores.

Even my blades I just bought were 15% high, but i appreciated the help and the knowledge so I bought local.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

redwood
    Pro

That’s a shame.

On the bright side, their inventory of Festool is 10% off.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kzcarp
    Pro

I saw that they were closing down when I went to order from their online store a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had missed all the media coverage that the announcement would demand. That place is a legend.
    As a friend said when I told him, “There goes my wish list”.

kevin

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Not only did they have everything, their employees truly knew tools. Their people were the best around when it came to tools. The best part about it was that their prices were just where they needed to be due to their Internet operation.

I am amazed you dealt with them in new yorkmKevin.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

That is a shame, I have bought quite a big of stuff from Seven Corners online – hate to see stores like that close. We have a local store, Knesal Hardware, that has been open and operated by the same family since 1910 or so; it will be a sad day when they close up for good.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

kzcarp
    Pro

I am amazed you dealt with them in new yorkmKevin.

I bought a ton of stuff from them. Bulk packs of recip. blades, Stabila levels, my first transit, Jorgensen handscrews, even ladders and stages. They had it all and they were always competitive.
    A visit to the store was one of the things on my bucket list.

kevin

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It is one of those places that was sort of am pilgrimage.

I have been fortunate enough to visit it frequently.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I do hate when the employees at big box stores don’t know their stuff. Sad day on the store closing. 🙁

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I remember ear when HD first opened it was like heaven to a lot of people. Now it’s just the same ole same.

It seems like now is the time to pay another visit. Do you think you would find some really good deals? Where in St. Paul are they located? Spent 2 years there going to the Univ of Minn.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

i used to have a hardware store less than a block from my house and it was amazing. Unfortunately it went out of business and is now a stupid dollar store. I should do miss just walking a block to pick something up instead of having to jump in my truck and running to a box store.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

That’s too bad, you really need to change your model to stay alive these days. I really like Harry Epsteins, I get the impression that they started as a small store but now are really niche and do closeouts on primarily USA made stuff and sell a lot online. Even though the shipping kills me sometimes, I still buy from them probably twice a year.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

If you plan on competing with the big box you’d better offer something unique and better.

My lumberyard did a great job of servicing. They are even expanding.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I saw that article and thought what a shame. It would probably stay open if someone in the family wanted it but with no chain, easier to close it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Even though the shipping kills me sometimes, I still buy from them probably twice a year.

Agreed… Harry Epsteins is great but the shipping is brutal… and to think, I used to be close enough to the physical store to visit at times but didn’t even know it existed 🙁 I guess that is a good thing haha!

And now I find myself close enough to 7 Corners but have not yet made it there… I have resolved to visit before they close shop! This is a sad day – I knew they were a top notch local store.

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I saw that article and thought what a shame. It would probably stay open if someone in the family wanted it but with no chain, easier to close it.

With the prime location next to the Excel center, and a lot of redevelopment going on in the area. The store and its warehouses were worth more dead that alive. I wish they would have tried to sell the business and moved it to a new location.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It seems like now is the time to pay another visit. Do you think you would find some really good deals? Where in St. Paul are they located? Spent 2 years there going to the Univ of Minn.

The store was located at Seven corners in St. Paul right near the old St Paul Civic Center and now the Excel Center where the Minnesota Wild plays Hockey.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is sad. It can be hard to find the Mom and Pop type quality from back in the day. I don’t even bother asking people in big box stores anything, most of the time they are wrong, or don’t have a clue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.083 seconds