dcsimg

The Eight In One Portable Workshop

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

A toolbox that is the platform for eight cordless tools. Wonder if it works at all? What is Hammacher Schlemmer quality like?
    http://www.hammacher.com/Product/86468?promo=search&cmp=cel&trigger=ac&query=%20The%20Eight%20In%20One%20Portable%20Workshop

A toolbox that is the platform for eight cordless tools. Wonder if it works at all? What is Hammacher Schlemmer quality like?
    http://www.hammacher.com/Product/86468?promo=search&cmp=cel&trigger=ac&query=%20The%20Eight%20In%20One%20Portable%20Workshop

Seems a bit like one of those things that can do a lot of things, but none of them well.

Im still curious about those 2-in-1 miter saw/table saw combos, but still prefer dedicated tools I can set up and leave set up

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Comes with 1 battery according to one of the reviews. I can’t imagine any serious woodworker or Carpenter would look twice at this.

Comes with 1 battery according to one of the reviews. I can’t imagine any serious woodworker or Carpenter would look twice at this.

Its a gimmick company – reminds me of sharper image or skymall

Also, “up to” one hour of battery sucks in a kit with a light and a drill. If those are only Up to, the battery is a really really small one

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Can’t find the thread but I know it was discussed here back in the spring / summer.

I think more of a gimmick geared towards the DIY’er who doesn’t know any better.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Can’t find the thread but I know it was discussed here back in the spring / summer.

I think more of a gimmick geared towards the DIY’er who doesn’t know any better.

I searched first but didn’t find anything.
    It’s no doubt an ineffectual design, but interesting that a commercial product like this is out. There’s a variety of diy designs to make the tool box part of the tool, such as the jig saw and router setups at http://www.benchworks.be/tipstricks.html.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think something similar was discussed a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, it was thought to be gimmicky at that time.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think something similar was discussed a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, it was thought to be gimmicky at that time.

Yup it looks like the same one I posted back in 12/13
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hobbyist-dream-come-true/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Thanks for finding that, DWB.
    Lots of flex, check the upright when he’s using the drill press.
    Some slick features. Parts clip together quickly, tool-less blade changes, power adapter to replace battery, riving knife on the table saw – hey, wait a minute. Watch at 3:55, the riving knife is there as he sets up the saw, but as the wood approaches the blade it disappears! Alignment issues?! Gong!!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for finding that, DWB.
    Lots of flex, check the upright when he’s using the drill press.
    Some slick features. Parts clip together quickly, tool-less blade changes, power adapter to replace battery, riving knife on the table saw – hey, wait a minute. Watch at 3:55, the riving knife is there as he sets up the saw, but as the wood approaches the blade it disappears! Alignment issues?! Gong!!!

Yes I agree,,, it’s a very gimmicky set. Looks like it should be sold on TV form Ronco and Ron Popeil should pitch it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

lol I bet you anything that it sells. specially for people who think hey this would be a good gift for so and so, it does everything. not knowing that it probably doesn’t work as well as they thought. Its the reason why the lower brands sell so well, alot of people see it and say well its cheap and it some what works.

This looks like it will be tailored towards the people that don’t do much with their tools. Like another member already said..It could handle all of the tools but none of them very well

Doobie

I think it would make a good boat anchor! 😉

I think it would make a good boat anchor! 😉

Too light. Almost all hollow plastic crap

Maybe a buoy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes I agree,,, it’s a very gimmicky set. Looks like it should be sold on TV form Ronco and Ron Popeil should pitch it.

Man for $600 you could find all of those tools on sale from a good company and be way ahead.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Man for $600 you could find all of those tools on sale from a good company and be way ahead.

At that quality, the Ryobi starter kit is better at a third of the price, nevermind all the Milwaukee and Dewalt kits

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ooh! Shiny!

A fool and his money are easily parted.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The more things it claims to do; the less well it will do any of them. It won’t go on my want list.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Gimmicky junk. For $600 you’re actually only getting 3 tools (jig saw, circular saw, and drill), and these tools are unlikely to be good quality.

For $595 look what you could get from Bosch:

$300, Drill/Impact combo kit (HDS181 & IDS181)
    $120, cordless circular saw (CCS180B)
    $175, cordless jig saw (JSH180BL)

And you would have 2 batteries, not one.

Gimmicky junk. For $600 you’re actually only getting 3 tools (jig saw, circular saw, and drill), and these tools are unlikely to be good quality.

For $595 look what you could get from Bosch:

$300, Drill/Impact combo kit (HDS181 & IDS181)
    $120, cordless circular saw (CCS180B)
    $175, cordless jig saw (JSH180BL)

And you would have 2 batteries, not one.

But that wouldn’t include the zircon ring, and a worthless warranty if you got Bosch.

You hit it on the head, just buy decent tools.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.510 seconds