dcsimg

Termite and Ant control

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Termite is always an enemy of a wooden house. Recently my friend realizes that one part of his door has been bitten by termite and he worries that the termite may spread to other part of the house.

Hope someone could share his knowledge with me

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t have any experience with termites but for ants and other bugs I use an outdoor spray surrounding the house and an extra layer on any entrance.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I don’t have any experience with termites but for ants and other bugs I use an outdoor spray surrounding the house and an extra layer on any entrance.

If the ants are building up their own nest inside the house, what would be the best solution?

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I had a big termite problem where I used to live. And, fire ants were living in a huge nest under the foundation.

Here are some tips:

TERMITES:
    If you have termites, make sure there is no water touching the house. Ground dwelling termites are attracted to water, believe it or not. I used to tell my customers to place a gravel bed about a foot wide all around the house and make sure there is absolutely no water touching that area.

ANTS:
    The ant problem is simple. For ants that are invading the house, NEVER spray them with insecticide. The ants emit a pheromone when they’re dying and it attracts armies of ants.
    Instead, if you see ants inside your house, vacuum them up. That way, they can’t signal the others to rescue them.
    Then, find the entry hole, usually near a corner. Make a big circle of vaseline petroleum jelly around the entry hole, leaving plenty of room inside the circle for ants to come out and roam within the circle. Place just a few grains of MaxForce ant killer inside the circle. Within a week the ants will all be dead, I guarantee you!
    Another thing you can put inside the vaseline circle is those little liquid ant bait stations. Same good results.

Ants cannot cross a barrier of vaseline. It will kill them because it plugs up their breathing holes in their ‘bellies’. But don’t use any other salve. Only vaseline works.

Pat

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I had a big termite problem where I used to live. And, fire ants were living in a huge nest under the foundation.

Here are some tips:

TERMITES:
    If you have termites, make sure there is no water touching the house. Ground dwelling termites are attracted to water, believe it or not. I used to tell my customers to place a gravel bed about a foot wide all around the house and make sure there is absolutely no water touching that area.

ANTS:
    The ant problem is simple. For ants that are invading the house, NEVER spray them with insecticide. The ants emit a pheromone when they’re dying and it attracts armies of ants.
    Instead, if you see ants inside your house, vacuum them up. That way, they can’t signal the others to rescue them.
    Then, find the entry hole, usually near a corner. Make a big circle of vaseline petroleum jelly around the entry hole, leaving plenty of room inside the circle for ants to come out and roam within the circle. Place just a few grains of MaxForce ant killer inside the circle. Within a week the ants will all be dead, I guarantee you!
    Another thing you can put inside the vaseline circle is those little liquid ant bait stations. Same good results.

Ants cannot cross a barrier of vaseline. It will kill them because it plugs up their breathing holes in their ‘bellies’. But don’t use any other salve. Only vaseline works.

Hi, Pat.

Thanks for the tips and I would suggest my friend to do so.

Ants:

Wouldn’t it be simple if I use vaseline to cover the entry hole?

They only way to kill and keep Termites at bay is chemical treatments and routine maintenance on your lower structure .

Always willing to learn .

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I would call an expert exterminator to come in and get rid of them . It is a small price to pay considering the alternative .

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

They only way to kill and keep Termites at bay is chemical treatments and routine maintenance on your lower structure .

My friend had applied the chemical treatments but the termites are still there. He even replaced the door with a new one

I would call an expert exterminator to come in and get rid of them . It is a small price to pay considering the alternative .

You’re right. I would persuade my friend to call an expert exterminator

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Ants will go where there is moisture. If you have a leaky sink or wet area they will find it. The big black carpenter ants will do more damage than termites. I had to replace a garage door header once and when I pulled the siding off ants went everywhere. covered me and the driveway! Millions of them. The header looked like Swiss cheese.
    Problem was no drip cap when the builder did the siding and it was wet.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Ants:

No. You don’t want to cover the entry hole. The idea is to get the ants to take the bait and bring it down to their nest.

Ants do not swallow the food that they chew. The one that chews food feeds it to another ant. So, if an ant takes what he thinks is food, he needs to bring it to the nest and give it to another ant. That’s why a few grains of a poison can wipe out an entire nest.

I did extensive research at the local college to figure out how to get rid of the ants. And the exterminator I had hired allowed me to study in his library (I was friends with his wife). Ants are amazing creatures!!

Pat

My friend had applied the chemical treatments but the termites are still there. He even replaced the door with a new one

It needs a professional chemical treatment . Did he buy from a DIY store .

Always willing to learn .

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Ants will go where there is moisture. If you have a leaky sink or wet area they will find it. The big black carpenter ants will do more damage than termites. I had to replace a garage door header once and when I pulled the siding off ants went everywhere. covered me and the driveway! Millions of them. The header looked like Swiss cheese.
    Problem was no drip cap when the builder did the siding and it was wet.

Right. Ants, as well as termites, love moisture. Sorry to hear about your garage door header. That’s a big job to replace.

Pat

Doobie

We had a carpenter and infestion about ten years ago that I successfully got rid of.

My research taught me that the nest was at least five years old in that the winged carpenter ants are only present in older well established nests.

Carpenter ants will create sattelite nests over time as well. You may think you got rid of your problem in one place, meanwhile there may be other undetected nests in the same house nearby.

My soluion was to get rid of all the wood they had invaded. Fortunately for me I was able to do that in my situation and eliminate the moisture problem that was the catalyst for the problem in the first place..

I’ve been lucky with getting rid of insect problems over the years, but one that I can’t seem to erradicate, but are not a serious problem yet, is silverfish. Any tips on getting rid of them would be welcome. The few things I’ve tried have not worked enough to erradicate them completely.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

We had a carpenter and infestion about ten years ago that I successfully got rid of.

My research taught me that the nest was at least five years old in that the winged carpenter ants are only present in older well established nests.

Carpenter ants will create sattelite nests over time as well. You may think you got rid of your problem in one place, meanwhile there may be other undetected nests in the same house nearby.

My soluion was to get rid of all the wood they had invaded. Fortunately for me I was able to do that in my situation.

I’ve been lucky with getting rid of insect problems over the years, but one that I can’t seem to erradicate, but are not a serious problem yet, is silverfish. Any tips on getting rid of them would be welcome. The few things I’ve tried have not worked enough to erradicate them completely.

Nice to know, I always though the nests full of winged ants were all queens getting ready to fly off and make a new home.

A Working Pro since 2004

Termites, I wouldn’t play around with, get an exterminator. Ants sprat around the house. I put Borax soap above the sill in the basement. Thought it would be fun to buy an ant eater as a pet in the yard, wife reminded me that a divorice cost more than an exterminator

Doobie

Nice to know, I always though the nests full of winged ants were all queens getting ready to fly off and make a new home.

From what I recall, they are foragers. They’re basically out doing the grocery shopping.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Here are some tips:

TERMITES:

ANTS:

Sounds like solid advice. I will try this for ants. Thanks Pat.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

but one that I can’t seem to erradicate, but are not a serious problem yet, is silverfish. Any tips on getting rid of them would be welcome. The few things I’ve tried have not worked enough to erradicate them completely.

Have you tried boric acid? I’ve read that it might work. I hate silverfish. At work we have a lot of old papers stored in boxes and they are full of silverfish. I keep my personal stuff which is boxed in bags so the silverfish cannot get into the boxes. So far it’s been working.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Termite is always an enemy of a wooden house. Recently my friend realizes that one part of his door has been bitten by termite and he worries that the termite may spread to other part of the house.

Hope someone could share his knowledge with me

I would not mess around with stuff you buy at the hardware store. Termites can do a bunch of damage before you know it. Get the house professionally treated and then get an inspection once a year from the same company and they offer a lifetime guarantee and retreatment as necessary.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Ants:

No. You don’t want to cover the entry hole. The idea is to get the ants to take the bait and bring it down to their nest.

Ants do not swallow the food that they chew. The one that chews food feeds it to another ant. So, if an ant takes what he thinks is food, he needs to bring it to the nest and give it to another ant. That’s why a few grains of a poison can wipe out an entire nest.

I did extensive research at the local college to figure out how to get rid of the ants. And the exterminator I had hired allowed me to study in his library (I was friends with his wife). Ants are amazing creatures!!

Ants:

That’s a good point that the ants take the poison food to their nest.

It needs a professional chemical treatment . Did he buy from a DIY store .

Yes, he bought it from DIY Store.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.662 seconds