dcsimg

Tenant put grease in toilet

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Of all the crazy things I’ve seen tenants do over the years, this one takes first prize.

Tenant complained that the toilet didn’t flush. I pull the toilet and find the standpipe clogged with hard grease. I reached in and pulled giant handfuls of hard, compacted grease out, even went past the elbow and there’s still a ton of grease in the pipe.

Here’s my question: Should I even attempt to use a plumbing degreaser?
    Or should I just call a plumber to jet the line?

Pat

Doobie

Who knows how far down it goes? Not good. Did ypu ask them how this happened? If it’s grease added gradually over time via dumping bacon pan drippings and such, it probably goes pretty far.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

WTF?

Why do people think this is okay? Call the Jetter in to blow the grease out and pass the bill X3 to the tenant. Then evict them and ban their grandkids from leasing from you too. Insane!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I lived in a lower level apartment. Some days I would come home and the sink would be half full of dirty water.

I called the super about it. He was not sure why it happened. Then one Friday I got home and the whole floor was covered in an inch of sticking water. This was 2 days before leaving to get married and be gone for 2 weeks.

I called the super, who called the owners. So he vaced up the water and we tore out the carpet. Then I picked up my best man from the train.

He went to the people who lived in the upper floors and caught them pouring grease into the sinks. From what I hear when I was gone it happened to others on the lower floors.

I got home to a new carpet job and no old tennents up stairs.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

WTF?

Why do people think this is okay? Call the Jetter in to blow the grease out and pass the bill X3 to the tenant. Then evict them and ban their grandkids from leasing from you too. Insane!

Haha I agree with everything you just said there. The guy must be an idiot if he’s pouring grease/fat or whatever into a toilet

What a stupid thing to do. Sorry you have to deal with this Pat. I would be so po’d! Not a fun way to spend a day (or more).

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC
    redwood
    Pro

You can’t poor grease down a sink or toilet? Shoot, I didn’t know that. JK

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would think you would need to have the line jetted with hot water then flushed with a lot of hot water to get the grease completely out of the building plumbing system and into the sewer system.6

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I would think you would need to have the line jetted with hot water then flushed with a lot of hot water to get the grease completely out of the building plumbing system and into the sewer system.6

Or maybe even hit it with a heavy duty snake, jet it, repeat….until the line was clear.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Oh boy better go clean my toilets haha lol, no really why would they even think of doing that, any oil or grease coagulates with cold water.

Yup call a plumber have him clear and clean the drain and charge the tenant.

Tenants suck!!! Seriously you have to wonder why they can care so little for property. We just had some move out and they were pigs!! I don’t understand how they can live that way.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

We have a septic system out here in the boonies. We try not to put anything like that down the drain (bleach is bad too, it kills the bacteria that breaks down the waste). If we fry anything, we throw some paper towel in the pan to absorb it so it can go out with the garbage.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

We have a septic system out here in the boonies. We try not to put anything like that down the drain (bleach is bad too, it kills the bacteria that breaks down the waste). If we fry anything, we throw some paper towel in the pan to absorb it so it can go out with the garbage.

How do septic system handle washing machine/dishwasher discharge? Or do those not go in the tank?

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

At least it was grease not something else.

It was actually grease – I suspect lard – mixed with feces, toilet paper and long strands of hair.

You would not believe the guy’s reaction to the whole thing!! When I confronted him about someone pouring grease into the toilet, he said, “No! Nobody puts grease in the toilet!” I put the trash can full of it right up to his face and I said, “Don’t you DARE tell me nobody did it! It’s right here!”

He’s gonna get shocked when he sees how much I charge. He thought it would be cheaper for me to do it than call a plumber like I had wanted to. Boy is he wrong.

Pat

Put it to him Pat. People like that deserve to get hammered with a bill!!!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

At least it was grease not something else.

It was actually grease – I suspect lard – mixed with feces, toilet paper and long strands of hair.

You would not believe the guy’s reaction to the whole thing!! When I confronted him about someone pouring grease into the toilet, he said, “No! Nobody puts grease in the toilet!” I put the trash can full of it right up to his face and I said, “Don’t you DARE tell me nobody did it! It’s right here!”

He’s gonna get shocked when he sees how much I charge. He thought it would be cheaper for me to do it than call a plumber like I had wanted to. Boy is he wrong.

Eww, I’m glad I’m not a landlord. There are so many horror stories online about bad tenants it’s not funny anymore, even intentional sabotage when leaving/evicted.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How do septic system handle washing machine/dishwasher discharge? Or do those not go in the tank?

There usually isn’t a problem with washing machines or dish washers. The detergents used in them are mild enough to go into a septic. There are some setups though that separate the grey water and discharge it elsewhere. Black water still goes into the septic

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

When the tenant first came to me for help with his toilet that wouldn’t flush, I told him that something had to be in there and he will be charged for the plumber’s visit.

He said wouldn’t it be better to get a new toilet? DUH!
    I told him that toilet WAS new!! I had installed it myself.

And, a year after they had moved in, the kitchen lines had been so heavily clogged with grease that the plumber had to go on the roof to put degreaser down the vent pipe. It had cost me over $500.00 in damages. We had thought the grease was a buildup from many years. Now I know better. These idiots did it.

Since they were now afraid to dispose of grease in the kitchen, they then started dumping it in the toilet.

I’m going to charge them big time and warn them if it happens again, they’re getting evicted.

Pat

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

You can’t poor grease down a sink or toilet? Shoot, I didn’t know that. JK

Mark, looks like I have to teach you a few things, LOL!

Pat

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.567 seconds