dcsimg

Tapes – So many sticky solutions out there.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  roninohio 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I just came accross a tape being offered at a well known tool supply retailer here in Canada that obviously they feel can be a useful addition to one’s toolbox and it got me thinking of ‘what other unique tapes are out there that I’d like to have that are useful in renovations and construction?’.

This tape is Gaffers Tape. As the product description implies, a non-residual tape used by gaffers in the film industry for set construction purposes.

https://www.atlas-machinery.com/G-Tape/4PN5009MTBK21

Read the detailed usage listing yourselves, but my only question is how strong is it compared to other tapes like blue painters tape or duct tape?

Still, I tossed a roll in my cart that I will have on order awaiting my next time buying there to get over the min free shipping threshold.

What other tapes do you use that are useful and unique tapes?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

The gaffer tape I am accustomed to is very VERY difficult to take off. That is it’s benefit. In racing circles it is also known as 200 mph tape, for obvious reasons. In the studio, or on stage it is great for taping down cables and such on stage so people aren’t tripping over them (even to carpet). It is like duct tape, but much stronger.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well it really depends on what you need to tape up?? The have duck tape for duck and frog tape for your frogs,, I have found out lately the strongest tape is the gorilla tape if your gorilla need to be taped. There’s always blue tape if you need it to fall off right away.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

There’s always blur tape if you need it to fall off right away.

That stuff is the worst!

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve used gaffers tape for years and it’s strong stuff, but it also peels up really cleanly too. But it’s pretty pricey so there’s a cost/ benefit analysis that always has to happen when I’m thinking about getting more.

I really like using that aluminum ducting tape – that stuff is so versatile because of how you can shape it. It’s not the kind of removable tape that gaffers or painters tape is, but it can be really useful in other situations.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I really like using that aluminum ducting tape – that stuff is so versatile because of how you can shape it. It’s not the kind of removable tape that gaffers or painters tape is, but it can be really useful in other situations.

Other than for sealing HVAC duct work, what else?

The gaffer tape I am accustomed to is very VERY difficult to take off. That is it’s benefit. In racing circles it is also known as 200 mph tape, for obvious reasons. In the studio, or on stage it is great for taping down cables and such on stage so people aren’t tripping over them (even to carpet). It is like duct tape, but much stronger.

Now that someone has described their actual use of it, I know this stuff. I just never knew it was called Gaffers tape. I used to be in charge of all the stage related stuff in high school and we’d see it used there by the bands that would come to our school and play at Friday night dances.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve used gaffers tape for years and it’s strong stuff, but it also peels up really cleanly too.

I just got some gaffers tape recently. Looking forward to testing it out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Never tried gaffers tape but I used a lot of red sheathing tape and that thing is sticky like hell.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The gorilla tape sticks to anything even if wet.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I know I’ve brought this one up before on this forum a couple of times over the years where I knew it was a solution to someone’s dillema. Here’s a tape from Lee Valley that I caught on to over ten years ago at least that IMO works like no other tape I know otherwise.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

This stuff is amazing for certain applications and even when used for applications outdoors it seemingly lasts forever.

It leaves no residue, is UV resistant and water/freeze-proof, and solves so many problems in the shop and around the house.

Basically, it fuses to itself, but not to anything else leaving no residue if you ever have to remove it from whatever application you’ved used it for. Obviously, it is solely for a ‘wrapping solution’ but don’t think for a minute this is overly limiting because when you do use it, it is often the far superior solution to one’s dillema.

Some of the applications I’ve used it for….

– Sliced the sheathing on an outdoor 100 foot extension cord with the mower in a couple of places. Patched with this tape years ago and the cord is still fine.

– Black rubber wheelbarrow handles left outdoors year round had been compromised being loose slipping off their stems and would also leave their black rubber residue all over my hands whenever I used it….. Slipped the old deteriorating handles onto to their stem handles with Weldbond inside the handles and fully wrapped them with this tape overlapping to the stems an inch or so…been that way now for about five years and still working fine. No more dangerous handle-grip slippages and black residue on my hands.

– Big thick inch and half long electrical cord reinforcement collar to the motor housing of an old Craftsman chopsaw was falling apart – wrapped it up 3 years ago with this tape, and still workin fine keeping the cord from becoming worn away as orginally intended at the entry point into the motor housing.

Basically, this stuff just works as promised. I’ve never used it to grip handles myself, but I know of others who have with very happy results as it has an excellent grip quality against the skin.

For those smooth spindle handle clamps that your hands slip or you would just want to get more tork on, or, the handle has gotten sticky gummy, this is the solution over hockey tape.

This tape just has so many uses, I just still feel I’ve only discovered the tip of the iceberg on the uses of this amazing tape.

I’ve don’t know where else that sells it other than Lee Valley, but there must be other places as I know LV doesn’t make it themselves. I just have no clue what other type of retailer or distribution channel that would carry it.

Attachments:

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I know I’ve brought this one up before on this forum a couple of times over the years where I knew it was a solution to someone’s dillema. Here’s a tape from Lee Valley that I caught on to over ten years ago at least that IMO works like no other tape I know otherwise.

The high friction tape works. I have used it in the past and it is amazing stuff.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I don’t much to add to this thread. Just going and see what I can learn.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I don’t much to add to this thread. Just going and see what I can learn.

‘Stick’ around then. Lol! 😂

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sometimes we need to use some double sided tape and that can be had at the DH also.

Dirty

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

‘Stick’ around then. Lol!

I will try!!!

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Well it really depends on what you need to tape up?? The have duck tape for duck and frog tape for your frogs,, I have found out lately the strongest tape is the gorilla tape if your gorilla need to be taped. There’s always blue tape if you need it to fall off right away.

Dirty quacks me up! I know I like the frog tape a lot.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.687 seconds