dcsimg

Tapcon SDS+ masonry bit vs Bosch bits

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I just finished a project installing some aluminum storm panel tracks over windows and doors. All together I had to drill about 350 1/4″ size holes on the aluminum, then mount these tracks above and below each window & door opening. Walls are concrete block stucco, and we were using 1/4″ Maxiset Tapcon screws for the mounting which is fairly standard.

For the drilling I am using a corded Bosch bulldog extreme rotary hammer.

Since it’s Tapcon, I picked up 4 SDS+ 1/4″ Tapcon brand bits.

I drilled around 25 holes, nice and steady, not forcing anything, and the bit broke.

Changed to a new bit, another 15 or so holes that broke too.

The bit was straight, the drill was true, no wobbling, no walking.

I have never broken a regular, non SDS+ Tapcon bit with a regular hammer drill. I was wondering if the rotary hammer is providing too much power for drilling the 1/4″ hole. I also noticed I have a seemingly higher rate of the screws not tightening (bottoms and spins). Yes I blow the concrete dust out of the holes with a compressor, and I used a compact driver to drive it till about 1/8″ from the finished surface, then switch to a socket wrench to slowly tighten it by hand to avoid over torquing them. I had about 8 loose screws out of may be 40, which is exceptionally high for me.

So I went to the hardware store and bought two Bosch 3/16″ SDS+ bits. I drilled the next 300+ holes with 1 Bosch bit and it didn’t break. I also got only 4 more loose screws out of the next 300+ tapped.

Tapcon SDS+ 3/16″ bit $8.58
    Bosch SDS+ 3/16″ bit $8.97

Basically the same price.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Sometimes they just break. We have broken the Bosch ones too, in fact those are the ones we use most often. The SDS drill provides more torque, which means faster drilling, but the downside is that same torque often breaks the bits. Practice helps to make the bit last as long as possible.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

and we were using 1/4″ Maxiset Tapcon screws for the mounting which is fairly standard.

I don’t get it: for 1/4” holes in concrete you used a 1/4” sds bit?
    I use a 3/16″ sds bit for a 1/4” hole.
    I never broke a Bosch SDS bit so far but I bent a few.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

and we were using 1/4″ Maxiset Tapcon screws for the mounting which is fairly standard.

I don’t get it: for 1/4” holes in concrete you used a 1/4” sds bit?
    I use a 3/16″ sds bit for a 1/4” hole.
    I never broke a Bosch SDS bit so far but I bent a few.

Sorry for the confusion. The drill bit size is 3/16″ ACTUAL. The Tapcon brand bits are labeled for the size of anchor they are intended for, such as “FOR 1/4″ ANCHORS”. So what I bought was actually 3/16″, but the affixed label says FOR 1/4.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Sometimes they just break. We have broken the Bosch ones too, in fact those are the ones we use most often. The SDS drill provides more torque, which means faster drilling, but the downside is that same torque often breaks the bits. Practice helps to make the bit last as long as possible.

Do you think it’s just one of those random things and not because Tapcon either had a defective batch of bits, or the Bosch were better made?

Normally when I do Tapcon attachments I don’t do a lot, this is a rare occasion that I have to do that many where I feel I have enough of a sample size to make a comparison. I do think the Bosch bit is better because it didn’t break after doing 10+ times more holes than the Tapcon ones, and it seems to create a better hole in the concrete with much less failed to tap in tight. Same price practically so I am not comparing a $3 item with a $15 item.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We do a lot of tapcon attachments and mostly use Bosch bits and a few Milwaukee that I got for a great price. a typical job is 300 to 4oo holes, sometimes more. I would say we typically get a job on a single bit, sometimes more. I do not think we have ever broken a bit, but after a while we do lose a carbide tip and end up swapping out bits.

We set all screws tight with a compact cordless inpace like the Bosch IDH 182 and rarely have a spin out. We do not bother to plow out holes, sislca duas considerations, but we do use a vac attachment on the cordless roto hammer.

I do not think I have ever bought a “Tapcon” brand bit, but I bet I have a couple hundred of the bits that come with the screws that we never use. The SDS bits are so much better.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I do not think I have ever bought a “Tapcon” brand bit, but I bet I have a couple hundred of the bits that come with the screws that we never use. The SDS bits are so much better.

I’ve not done near what you’ve done, but I do know that the Tapcon bits are not the greatest from my own past experiences.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive been working on a hotel build for roughly 4 months. we are fastening cfs walls to the precast floor slabs with 3 /16″ tapcons for which were using sds drills to pilot drill.. on average per floor we have to drive about 1500 tapcons .. we go through about 40 bits per floor.. they wear out and break regularly.. basically it comes down to the smaller bits are much more susceptible to breaking before they wear out.. once you jump up to 3/8 the bit will wear out first

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

ive been working on a hotel build for roughly 4 months. we are fastening cfs walls to the precast floor slabs with 3 /16″ tapcons for which were using sds drills to pilot drill.. on average per floor we have to drive about 1500 tapcons .. we go through about 40 bits per floor.. they wear out and break regularly.. basically it comes down to the smaller bits are much more susceptible to breaking before they wear out.. once you jump up to 3/8 the bit will wear out first

I completely agree. The little 5/32″ bits break pretty often, but I don’t think I’ve ever broken a bit bigger than 3/8″.

As for the Tapcon bits, my experience has been predominantly with the 5/32 and 3/16 bits, both of which came free with the screws. I definitely prefer the Bosch bits over the Tapcon version.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I rearely use the 3/16 tapcons. I find the extra 5/32 bits that you go through outweigh any savings on fasteners.

Fastening to precast I can see going through a lot more bits. Precast is typically 5000 psi and a lot harder to drill.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I always buy the Bosch sds bits also.. Some are made in china and some in germany. The german ones I like the best.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t use 3/16″ Tapcon screws for a few years now. Always 1/4″ which requires a 3/16″ bit.

Never broken a 3/16″ bit for 1/4″ Tapcon screws either.

But the SDS 3/16″ bit broke easy (two bits in < 50 holes) in this project, and the Bosch bit didn’t (one bit in > 300 holes). But more importantly, the Bosch bit produced holes that the Tapcon screws bottoms snugly without spinning loose.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.557 seconds