dcsimg

Table Saw Push stick safety concerns.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 197 total)
  • Author

How come when I asked the Bosch saw company if they had any probelms with the plastic push stick breaking, they came back saying no. The person I originally talked to said that the push stick is meant to break. When I later emailed them about that they said that they never told me that. But when I came on this site, the push stick that Bob put on, had a break in the palm of the hand that looks identical to mine as seen in the pictures below. Yet these two incidents happened 6 months apart or so. In the process, they offered me a goodwill gesture to cover my medical expenses of about 3000 but I may have a third surgery so they doubled it. But why would a company that says it is my fault, make two different offers that are good will. Even the cut that I got from the accident looks the same, and is in the same spot to Bob’s hand. After two surgeries I can’t fully open or close my hand. I’m more concerned about if this continues to happen with other people. For instance, if I were in my twenties with kids, and it was this bad how would I live the same. I mean I am 77 years old but it still has affected my mobility. I don’t think the saw company sees that aspect from this. If anybody has had or seen this happen to anybody else or knows of another site to put this on, then please don’t hesitate to contact me because I want to get as many people together as possible.

-Eddie

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nasty results. I had a similar accident several years ago when a wooden push stick kicked back into my hand. Not quite as severe however. Hope you heal up well.

Doobie

If anybody has had or seen this happen to anybody else or knows of another site to put this on, then please don’t hesitate to contact me because I want to get as many people together as possible.

-Eddie

Welcome to the forum Ed and sorry to hear of your incident. You do realize this forum is owned by Bosch themselves?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

For instance, if I were in my twenties with kids, and it was this bad how would I live the same.

My gawd man that’s horrible!!! I hope you will be Okay.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I mean I am 77 years old but it still has affected my mobility. I don’t think the saw company sees that aspect from this. If anybody has had or seen this happen to anybody else or knows of another site to put this on, then please don’t hesitate to contact me because I want to get as many people together as possible.

@Eddie2343
    Welcome to the site.
    Sorry to read about your experience with the push stick.
    How old is the stick? I have seen plastic sticks get brittle after time and I have seen some go on for years.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Welcome to BTP, @eddie2343 I sure hope that heals up well for you. Your caution about push sticks is noted.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is really a bad injury. I have never heard of anyone getting hurt with a push stick before. I thought a push stick was to keep you from getting hurt. I wonder where the stick was made?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Eddie, here’s hoping you get well soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow that is a terrible injury @eddie2343 hope you get well soon and hopefully bosch gives you a reaxx.

I hope you do recover full use of your hand. Thats a terrible injury, and the type that a flesh detection blade won’t help.

Being designed to shatter makes sense if you want to make sure the hand isnt pulled into the blade, but if it explodes in you hand, injuring you, that doesn’t really seem much better

Hope you heal fully, and I hope that this will serve as a warning that push sticks, especially plastic ones, have their own dangers. I prefer to use a grr-ripper personally – It may have its own limitations but it does avoid this danger

RyanF
    Pro

Sorry about your injury.

Ouch! Sorry for your injury. With this info, I am going to stick to shop made push blocks and put the couple of plastic push sticks I have away.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yikes! Welcome to BTP @eddie2343. I hope they make it right and you heal up quickly.

That said, after 2 guys here having this problem, I’ll be tossing that push stick and making a few more out of wood. I suggest the rest of you out there do so as well. Push sticks are simple to make and completely worth not experiencing the pain that these two guys have had to deal with.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I keep my push stick out of the blade. By hitting the blade it’s not a push stick very long.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Depending on what I am doing, I will use one or another style of pushstick. Here are some of what I made up last week. I keep hardboard patterns for these to make replacements easier.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Depending on what I am doing, I will use one or another style of pushstick. Here are some of what I made up last week. I keep hardboard patterns for these to make replacements easier.

I have always preferred wood over plastic for a push stick. Those ones are nice, I like the bottom one that emulates the look of fingers.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

personally im not really a fan of the vertical style push sticks which have very little surface contact with the work peice.. it allows for the stick to kick back.. i like wooden ones made of scrap mdf or 3/4 plywood which are 8-12 ” long and about 7″ tall which allow for a good amount of surface contact

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I keep my push stick out of the blade. By hitting the blade it’s not a push stick very long.

That’s the idea, but you usually expect your safety devices to, you know, not injure you where possible

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I prefer the grripers and have two of them so i can deal with short to long stock but I would eventually like to get the same ones that @doobie has the jessem clear cut guides.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

personally im not really a fan of the vertical style push sticks which have very little surface contact with the work peice.. it allows for the stick to kick back.. i like wooden ones made of scrap mdf or 3/4 plywood which are 8-12 ” long and about 7″ tall which allow for a good amount of surface contact

Agreed Jeff. I made a one with stepped base for varying thicknesses. In theory it was a good idea, but it reduced the amount of surface contact. As a result, it doesn’t get used.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.704 seconds