dcsimg

Table Saw Push stick safety concerns.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Wow that sucks. I have not seen that kind of damage to a push stick.
    Have seen quite a few post where people are using this type of push stick for safety measures.
    Supposed to keep your hand away better and hold pressure on the front side of the board. Instead of just the rear part.

The very first thing I made in wood shop as a kid.

I have the same push stick as the op. Ive made plenty of blade contact with mine, no ill effects like that.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Wow that sucks. I have not seen that kind of damage to a push stick.
    Have seen quite a few post where people are using this type of push stick for safety measures.
    Supposed to keep your hand away better and hold pressure on the front side of the board. Instead of just the rear part.

The very first thing I made in wood shop as a kid.

I have the same push stick as the op. Ive made plenty of blade contact with mine, no ill effects like that.

If that is the wood whisperer, then the shims that I use sometimes could be referred to as the wood screamers. I like to use a shim sometimes because they are thin.

Brackers
    Pro
    Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks Eric (Montreal_Medic)
    Yes I read your thread Sunday evening after I got back from the hospital looking for know issues with the GTS1031 but the saw seems to be fairly solid with the exception of the issue you had.
    The damage to my throat plate was caused, I think, when from the vibration of the push stick caused it to come free and subsequently writing off the blade. The plate ended up 8 or 9 feet away from the saw when it landed on the floor.

Bob…

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you heal up quickly. We had the same plastic bosch push stick and ran it through the blade a few times and nothing happened. But once a guy must have caught it wrong and it shattered like this. No damage to him or the saw though. I usually use wooden push sticks but if you catch it wrong I have had a wooden one kinda splinter up and come apart.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I have the 4100-09, and a red, plastic push stick, and mine has a little groove in it. Didn’t shatter.

I’m wondering if, since the plate was flung across the room, if maybe the stick got snagged, and pulled the plate up and into the blade, which would account for the missing teeth on the blade, and the shattered stick.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’ve never used my plastic push stick that came with my table saw. It just didn’t feel right in my hands. The shape is weird, like they tried to make it ‘ergonomic’ or something. I’d rather a plain ole piece of wood that I can hold like it’s a piece of wood.

So sorry to hear about your injury. What a mess. I hope the manufacturer helps you out in some way. It’s gonna be a true test of that manufacturer’s character – are they gonna man up or hide in the corner saying ‘it’s not our fault’. I hope they man up for you.

Pat

Doobie

I use wooden home made push sticks mostly. While I use these ones from LV on occasion also on the TS, I mostly use them at my router table. Have had two of them for over ten years now. No complaints, and well made thick plastic.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30067&cat=1,240,45884

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Having used my table saw with home made push sticks without incident for a few years I just purchased a new job site table saw and used the plastic supplied push stick.
    I inadvertently touched the blade with the push stick, to me a normal practice, to my dismay the push stick shattered causing some serious damage to my saw blade and blade cover, and more importantly my hand.
    A trip to the hospital and quite a bit of blood loss later I returned home with 5 stiches in the palm of my hand and some wrist and elbow issues.

Has anyone else had an incident with product supplied plastic push sticks? I think this is a real hazard, I was quite lucky but very shaken up and currently unable to work for probably a week or so.
    Looking for any feedback and sending out a warning to the group.

I have sent my concerns to the manufacturer, waiting for their response.

Bob…

Wow it looks like you should sell that tool and not use tools with fast spinning blades on them, I do hope you’ll be OK.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Wow it looks like you should sell that tool and not use tools with fast spinning blades on them,

Don’t think I’d go that far. You just gotta live and learn.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thanks Eric (Montreal_Medic)
    Yes I read your thread Sunday evening after I got back from the hospital looking for know issues with the GTS1031 but the saw seems to be fairly solid with the exception of the issue you had.
    The damage to my throat plate was caused, I think, when from the vibration of the push stick caused it to come free and subsequently writing off the blade. The plate ended up 8 or 9 feet away from the saw when it landed on the floor.

Bob…

try checking out the grripper as i went and bought a second one to match the first one. Or you can go and do what @doobie does and use the jessem helpers.
    http://www.jessem.com/CLEAR-CUT_TS_STOCK_GUIDES.html

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sorry to hear about your accident. You would think they would use a shatter resistant material for just such an incident.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sorry to hear about your accident. You would think they would use a shatter resistant material for just such an incident.

I’m inclined to think that they DO use a shatter resistant plastic…mine didn’t break when it contacted the blade, just jumped up off the table resulting in a bad cut. Maybe Brackers rotated the stick on contact without realizing it?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

While “normal” usage would not include touching the blade with a push stick, when you are ripping narrow stock it is a lot better than using your fingers to push the material through, so a push stick that can safely be cut is mandatory.

A zero clearance throat plate helps too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Has anyone else had an incident with product supplied plastic push sticks? I think this is a real hazard, I was quite lucky but very shaken up and currently unable to work for probably a week or so.
    Looking for any feedback and sending out a warning to the group.

WOW, that’s gotta suck for sure.
    I have had my Craftsman plastic push stick for a few decades and luckily it has never touched the blade.
    I might hang it up and start making my own wood push sticks.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My latest stick as mentioned earlier:

Brackers
    Pro
    Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks JimDaddyO,
    I like the two options for the stick, simple is always best.
    Interesting that you used hand tools to make the push stick and not powered tools. :0)

Bob…

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Thanks JimDaddyO,
    I like the two options for the stick, simple is always best.
    Interesting that you used hand tools to make the push stick and not powered tools. :0)

Bob…

Yeah, the irony is beautiful!

Glad to read that your okay .

My question is would these new table saws stop it happeneing on sawstop or Bosch Reaxx.

Always willing to learn .

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Glad to read that your okay .

My question is would these new table saws stop it happeneing on sawstop or Bosch Reaxx.

Nope.

It’s flesh detection technology. Needs a current imbalance between the blade (hot) and neutral. Like it going into your hand, and then to ground. Just like a GFCI breaker.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

hey bob sorry to hear that – I hope everything gonna heal up.
    I personally don’t use plastic push sticks. I make my own wooden push sticks.
    I always felt safer with them.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.591 seconds