dcsimg

Table Saw Push stick safety concerns.

Viewing 17 posts - 181 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I prefer the grripers and have two of them so i can deal with short to long stock but I would eventually like to get the same ones that @doobie has the jessem clear cut guides.

I’m not crazy about my Grippers and rarely ever use them.

Even with the Jessem guides, you still end up using push sticks with them most times.

personally im not really a fan of the vertical style push sticks which have very little surface contact with the work peice.. it allows for the stick to kick back.. i like wooden ones made of scrap mdf or 3/4 plywood which are 8-12 ” long and about 7″ tall which allow for a good amount of surface contact

Same here. I have two of these kinds from LV. They’re great. Have used them for over a dozen years now.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30067&cat=1,240,45884

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I prefer the grripers and have two of them so i can deal with short to long stock but I would eventually like to get the same ones that doobie has the jessem clear cut guides.

I’m not crazy about my Grippers and rarely ever use them.

Even with the Jessem guides, you still end up using push sticks with them most times.

personally im not really a fan of the vertical style push sticks which have very little surface contact with the work peice.. it allows for the stick to kick back.. i like wooden ones made of scrap mdf or 3/4 plywood which are 8-12 ” long and about 7″ tall which allow for a good amount of surface contact

Same here. I have two of these kinds from LV. They’re great. Have used them for over a dozen years now.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30067&cat=1,240,45884

I like the look of those. And the added benefit having the 45° grove for the router table is a big plus.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Welcome Eddie and sorry to hear about your incident. that looks quite nasty.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

I like the look of those. And the added benefit having the 45° grove for the router table is a big plus.

They’re great for use with my jointer as well. I prefer them over the standard flat paddles for the jointer.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Horrible experience. I never used the plastic sticks. I have a couple brand shiny new somewhere in the garage. I use them as templates to make wood sticks when the ones in use are no longer safe.

Wood push blocks for me – cheap, easy and replaceable for through cuts.

Orange County, CA

Thank you everyone for you concerns. I just want the saw company to understand how these push sticks are an issue. I want people to be aware of how dangerous they are before many people get hurt. Someone’s injury could be or have been much worse than mine.

-Eddie

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wood push blocks for me – cheap, easy and replaceable for through cuts.

Same here never a problem all these years and have a few splinter on me as well but not real damage.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie, those look pretty sturdy, but my fear is that anything where your hands are inside a handle is inviting extra injury if you do ever get it trapped by the blade. I saw a video on YouTube (or Facebook?) where a guy was trying to demonstrate the danger of not using the riving knife on a table saw and he purposefully turns the piece into the blade at the end of the cut… he turns out ok, but he was using a plastic handled push block with a foam bottom, and the slow-mo shows how the saw pulls the wood and the push block in toward the blade. Basically, even knowing what he was getting in to, and trying to prep for it, he still almost cut his fingers off doing something that people might accidentally do in a normal cut. So I’m convinced – nothing with a D shaped handle for me. I want my hand to be as free as possible to come up and away from the blade should anything happen!

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Someone’s injury could be or have been much worse than mine.

I agree! It almost seems like there should be a recall on them.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

@doobie, those look pretty sturdy, but my fear is that anything where your hands are inside a handle is inviting extra injury if you do ever get it trapped by the blade. I saw a video on YouTube (or Facebook?) where a guy was trying to demonstrate the danger of not using the riving knife on a table saw and he purposefully turns the piece into the blade at the end of the cut… he turns out ok, but he was using a plastic handled push block with a foam bottom, and the slow-mo shows how the saw pulls the wood and the push block in toward the blade. Basically, even knowing what he was getting in to, and trying to prep for it, he still almost cut his fingers off doing something that people might accidentally do in a normal cut. So I’m convinced – nothing with a D shaped handle for me. I want my hand to be as free as possible to come up and away from the blade should anything happen!

Pretty sure you’re talking about Tom Hintz.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/kickback2012.html

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie, yup that’s exactly what I was talking about. Sheesh, that would have me blowing into a bag afterwards if that had been me!

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Horrible experience. I never used the plastic sticks. I have a couple brand shiny new somewhere in the garage. I use them as templates to make wood sticks when the ones in use are no longer safe.

Now that’s about the best use for plastic push sticks I could imagine. Really good, durable patterns.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Pretty sure you’re talking about Tom Hintz.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/kickback2012.html

@doobie, yup that’s exactly what I was talking about. Sheesh, that would have me blowing into a bag afterwards if that had been me!

Myself, I have never used a flat paddle for pushing stock on my table saw except for maybe doing decent sized ply doing dados or rabbets. I never want my hand going anywhere near in between the blade and the fence like that.

Tom was pretty brave showing what he did wrong. I recall a lot of people online chastized and ridiculed him on it, but in doing so he may have prevented a lot of people from injuring themselves. Gotta respect him for that imo.

For those who want to quickly see his error, start watching from the 2:30 mark of his video. It shows what a lot of people don’t realize, that in some cases, your hand will get drawn towards a blade even though the force you are applying before a kickback is occuring is not vectored in that direction.

He came nasty close to really buggering up his hand.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Yikes. Scary stuff. A good reminder for every time you’re in the shop. Thanks for posting.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yah that video is quite informative, it was the video that got me really starting to think about safety in the workshop. I always show that video to people who tell me that you don’t have to worry when using a table saw.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That’s the thing – I never realized just how quickly it can all change on you, even when you think you’re in complete control – those machines have a lot more power than we puny humans.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 17 posts - 181 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.603 seconds