dcsimg

Table Saw Push stick safety concerns.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Brackers
    Pro
    Waterloo, Ontario

Having used my table saw with home made push sticks without incident for a few years I just purchased a new job site table saw and used the plastic supplied push stick.
    I inadvertently touched the blade with the push stick, to me a normal practice, to my dismay the push stick shattered causing some serious damage to my saw blade and blade cover, and more importantly my hand.
    A trip to the hospital and quite a bit of blood loss later I returned home with 5 stiches in the palm of my hand and some wrist and elbow issues.

Has anyone else had an incident with product supplied plastic push sticks? I think this is a real hazard, I was quite lucky but very shaken up and currently unable to work for probably a week or so.
    Looking for any feedback and sending out a warning to the group.

I have sent my concerns to the manufacturer, waiting for their response.

Bob…

Clev08
    Pro

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, I personally only use home made wood push sticks. I did not pick wood over plastic for any reason other than its what I had. But now I know to only use wood because if my wood push stick hits the blade it will cut through it and not shatter. Thanks for sharing you experience to save others from experiencing the same thing!

redwood
    Pro

Wow, I’ve used plastic push sticks for years without incident, though I’m not sure I’ve ever made contact with the blade, either. Mine have always been black, though that certainly shouldn’t make a difference.

I hope that there are neither permanent physical or mental after effects.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I certainly understand how an incident like that would leave you shaken. A push stick should be able to stand a trip through the blade without any hazard.

Personally I haven’t used anything other than shop made push sticks but I wouldn’t hesitate to use a plastic one, at least I wouldn’t before reading your account.

MAny thanks for sharing here; I will be following with interest and look forward to the mfg response. Hope you will not have any lasting effects from this injury.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I accidentally cut the plastic stick that came with my saw, but just cut an extra slot on it and nothing like this. I made new ones out of some 1x offcuts and have been using those instead.

It looks like yours was somehow wedged between the blade and throat plate, and twisting motion caused it to bind. A zero clearance plate might have prevented it.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I find that if the push stick contacts the blade that there is a bit of a kick…never had one shatter though! Hope you heal up quickly!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I find that if the push stick contacts the blade that there is a bit of a kick…never had one shatter though! Hope you heal yup quickly!

Sorry to hear that, that would rock your world. Never seen it or had it happen, nor do I want to

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive never had issues with plastic push sticks.. i know someone who had an issue wit a plastic blade guard shattering and having the shards embedded in their abdomen when the saw kickbacked so quickly on a stationary table saw .. the wood kicked and hit the guard causing it to smash.. the broken peices hit the blade and were thrown at him

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have the same push stick…I nicked it the other day with the blade – fortunately nothing bad happened. I do prefer wood push sticks because I have always visualized what happened to you happening with plastic sticks.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I never used the plastic supplied push sticks, i’ve went out on day one to get the grripper and i like it.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I rarely ever use a push stick no matter what is made of , I just don’t trust them .

I have sawn through my cheap plastic Samona brand push stick without incident, but it is made of a softer plastic than what yours looks like. The one you have looks brittle and more prone to breaking and the holes in it look like they have weak points in it too. I don’t mind the Samona ones, but I recently made one from a scrap of plywood that I like much better. If you care to, just look in my video thread for the build, it is quite easy. I would not make one from solid wood for fear of it breaking along the grain. Plywood ones from scraps are nice because you can just about consider them a “consumable”, meant to be replaced after you wear them out.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Touching the blade with the push stick should not be considered “normal practice”

I too prefer a wooded one, but have never had any incidents with plastic either.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Touching the blade with the push stick should not be considered “normal practice”

I have to agree…hitting the push stick with the blade should be an infrequent event not normal practice.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have used the harder plastic push sticks like that but not hit a blade with one. I have used a softer plastic ones that I have sawn right through without issue. Makes me wonder about the push sticks supplied with saws. I have also made my own out of wood and sawn through them without incident. I did make the mistake once of using a piece of scrap that was jagged on the end I was holding and resulted with similar results as Bob did in this situation.

Doobie

Sorry to hear of your experience. That kinda incidence can be rattling to the nerves and shakes ones confidence of how safe we ‘think’ we are. Just goes to show, stuff can happen when you least expect it.

Gotta ask, what brand saw and its supplied push stick is that?

I recall one of the members here last year having a TS incidence where his throat plate was destroyed like that. Think it was Eric – @MontrealMedic IIRC.

Wow, that was not a pleasant experience. Looking at insert, I agree that it looks like it got wedged in the insert against the blade. I too have some plastic sticks but they have a nick in them never a shatter. There are definitely differences in the properties of plastics. Yours was brittle and thus created danger for you. Sorry you had this happen. Heal quick.

Brackers
    Pro
    Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated.

Probably a poor choice of words, “normal practice” I fully agree it isn’t. What I really meant to say was that the push stick is there to protect you and if the blade is hit then it should take the cut and not shatter. The home made push sticks I generally use will last for quite a while and if nicked by the blade no issues. — But yes I agree shouldn’t be normal practice.

Background on the saw – Its a brand new out of the box Bosch GTS1031, I made a few test cuts last week and also ripped some trim through the week, so the blade is still as good as new (Before 4 teeth were ripped off with this incident!!)

Same experiences with any wooden push sticks, rarely when they do touch the blade maybe a small kick but they simply take a cut.

Bob…

Sorry to hear of your experience. That kinda incidence can be rattling to the nerves and shakes ones confidence of how safe we ‘think’ we are. Just goes to show, stuff can happen when you least expect it.

Gotta ask, what brand saw and its supplied push stick is that?

I recall one of the members here last year having a TS incidence where his throat plate was destroyed like that. Think it was Eric – @MontrealMedic IIRC.

Yup. The throat plate looks the same. Glad youre ok. Mine was also a GTS1031, but it wasnt the push stick that caused it. No idea what did in my case

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Wow that sucks. I have not seen that kind of damage to a push stick.
    Have seen quite a few post where people are using this type of push stick for safety measures.
    Supposed to keep your hand away better and hold pressure on the front side of the board. Instead of just the rear part.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.656 seconds