dcsimg

Sweet….DeWalt 40v chainsaw….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

This may go on my anniversary wish list…

http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-40v-cordless-chainsaw/

Resident Sign Guy

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Were you unloading your Dewalt stuff Moze? Maybe it was just a specific tool…an angle grinder?

I’d pick up the Makita if I thought I would ever use it. Those occasionally used 2-stroke tools never seem to work right after sitting around for months.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Wow, Dewalt is really stepping up with their brushless stuff eh? I’m seriously considering a hedge trimmer and string trimmer to replace my current antiques.

They are really working on their 40v batteries too, 6 AH is already out, while the Bosch 36v is only 2.6 AH as far as I can tell.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Were you unloading your Dewalt stuff Moze? Maybe it was just a specific tool…an angle grinder?

I’d pick up the Makita if I thought I would ever use it. Those occasionally used 2-stroke tools never seem to work right after sitting around for months.

@jponto07 I got rid of some a while back but am pretty happy with what I have left (OMT, drill, right angle drill, vacuums, recip saw (kind of meh about the recip)).

Resident Sign Guy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This may go on my anniversary wish list…

http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-40v-cordless-chainsaw/

That looks like a nice tool , too bad the review has to put the line “Reminder: 40V Max = 36V nominal.” to take out the confusion.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow that looks pretty sweet, is dewalt really branching into everything?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I would really like to see this chainsaw in action. If it can perform as well as a gas powered one. I’d definitely consider it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Moze
    Dallas, TX

weird the link still works but it no longer shows on the page it used to. Like it was pulled down.

Resident Sign Guy

redwood
    Pro

Well they still require chain oil.

Something about the sound of a gas chainsaw is pretty manly. Tough to replace that.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I honestly can’t think of a reason to replace a gas chainsaw with battery powered. I mean, how long can a battery last? How do you recharge when you are out in the bush? A 16″ bar is not very big either, just a toy, really.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Something about the sound of a gas chainsaw is pretty manly. Tough to replace that.

It’s that little nasty 2 stroke motor that really gives the power sound too. It’s how most kids start learning to work on motors.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a corded electric chainsaw that I use at camp, the power is fine for what it is. I really can’t see this being very useful up in the forest though, But beings it’s just a 16″ I wouldn’t say that’s it’s intention. I think it’d be great around the house or camp for the smaller stuff, Or trimming branches

I could go for one from Bosch or Milwaukee. That way I could use my existing batteries. This nice part is no hard starting or having to worry about fuel. It would be very useful for many small cleanup jobs around the cabin. Makita has an electric one I understand. Not long for the others to catch up I would expect.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Well look at the rest of the product line it’s not really meant to be used in the woods, it’s more of a yardworking tool. For a landscaper who doesn’t make too many cuts but still need it often enough, it’s probably quicker and lower maintenance.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I honestly can’t think of a reason to replace a gas chainsaw with battery powered. I mean, how long can a battery last? How do you recharge when you are out in the bush? A 16″ bar is not very big either, just a toy, really.

A 16″ bar is great for average sized trees, trimming, etc. It might be underkill for bucking logs on a regular basis, sure. But chainsaws aren’t just used in the woods or for large scale cutting. People with trees on their property, people with relatives with trees on their property, etc., would be able to use something like this with regularity. I promise there are people that will get great use out of these.

Resident Sign Guy

Anonymous
    Inactive

They’d have to tear my gas jobs from my cold, dead hands. Sounds about as satisfying as driving a Prius. Fine for city boys, maybe, but it isn’t going to cut it out here, no pun intended.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Sounds like it could be useful around the house for little stuff or on the job site for trimming branches away a wall or roof. For cutting some firewood though, I will stick with my Stihl.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Moze
    Dallas, TX

These battery powered saws definitely aren’t a replacement when doing serious cutting. I have a Makita (made by Dolmar) DCS6401. It’s a beast. I used to own a Stihl 044 and had logs delivered to my home and would buck and split my winter supply. So I definitely understand the attachment to gas powered saws if you’re doing serious cutting.

But there is definitely a market for these. There aren’t just extremes (Dude A owns a house in town with a small tree and Dude B owns 600 acres and constantly has saw work to do). For people with a few trees, a dozen trees, a few dozen trees on their property, this cordless saw would fit the bill perfectly.

Attachments:

Resident Sign Guy

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

for $ 400, I start the gas models and make noise…

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

These battery powered saws definitely aren’t a replacement when doing serious cutting. I have a Makita (made by Dolmar) DCS6401. It’s a beast. I used to own a Stihl 044 and had logs delivered to my home and would buck and split my winter supply. So I definitely understand the attachment to gas powered saws if you’re doing serious cutting.

But there is definitely a market for these. There aren’t just extremes (Dude A owns a house in town with a small tree and Dude B owns 600 acres and constantly has saw work to do). For people with a few trees, a dozen trees, a few dozen trees on their property, this cordless saw would fit the bill perfectly.

A friend of mine has a tree service and all of his saws are Makitas – if I ever buy a chainsaw that isn’t a Stihl it would be a Makita. Like you said, they are beasts.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.452 seconds