dcsimg

Sure do have a lot of stuff….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have had several people, when walking into my shop or my storage area in my basement say “You sure do have a lot of stuff…”. Andrew’s mention of moving blankets got me thinking about that. Most people who do not do this for a living don’t realize just how much varied equipment, tools, and general “stuff” it takes to build/remodel. Even disregarding tools and equipment like ladders and scaffolding, the amount of stuff it takes is sometimes amazing, lol.

Here is some stuff that I have stowed away, just a list off the top of my head – I know on w I have more that I am not thinking of right now:

Moving blankets
    Drop cloths & runners
    Tarps
    Plastic door jamb protectors
    Sticky mats
    Carpet film
    Tons of cleaning products
    Heaters
    Fans
    Dehumidifier
    Air scrubber
    Booties
    Nitrile gloves
    Stretch film
    Fans
    Heaters
    Padlocks
    Garbage cans

The list just keeps growing the more I think about it and new items frequently get added to my “stuff” – my latest addition is a roll of poly tubing from Uline. It is great when I have to carry trim on my ladder racks in the rain/snow.

So what oddball stuff do you have and what do you use it for?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have had several people, when walking into my shop or my storage area in my basement say “You sure do have a lot of stuff…”. Andrew’s mention of moving blankets got me thinking about that. Most people who do not do this for a living don’t realize just how much varied equipment, tools, and general “stuff” it takes to build/remodel. Even disregarding tools and equipment like ladders and scaffolding, the amount of stuff it takes is sometimes amazing, lol.

Here is some stuff that I have stowed away, just a list off the top of my head – I know on w I have more that I am not thinking of right now:

Moving blankets
    Drop cloths & runners
    Tarps
    Plastic door jamb protectors
    Sticky mats
    Carpet film
    Tons of cleaning products
    Heaters
    Fans
    Dehumidifier
    Air scrubber
    Booties
    Nitrile gloves
    Stretch film
    Fans
    Heaters
    Padlocks
    Garbage cans

The list just keeps growing the more I think about it and new items frequently get added to my “stuff” – my latest addition is a roll of poly tubing from Uline. It is great when I have to carry trim on my ladder racks in the rain/snow.

So what oddball stuff do you have and what do you use it for?

I love the poly film. Use that to hold pvc trim on the ladder racks many times. I know what you mean about the stuff. When things slow down, and all my stuff comes home, I have zero space.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Thats one good thing about working for a company. All that stuff goes to the shop. Actually we have a decent size storage place and there is everything there pretty much everything you listed plus
    spare gang box
    dollies
    furniture moovers
    left over material ex. plywood
    even old appliances the home owner didnt want
    I could go on but its true you end up with lots of stuff

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I love the poly film.

I use it on everything. Wrap things to the ladder rack, wrap my tarps so they stay folded, bundle trim together, it even works pretty well as a clamp for glueing up small pieces.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

It amazes me how much stuff I have accumulated in the last few years. Never would have thought it would take so much to do this job some of us are doing.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kzcarp
    Pro

Amen to that. I’ve all that and big fans,multiple fuel type heaters,air hoses probably 7-800 ft, extension cords and oh maybe 45 or so 5 gallon buckets.

kevin

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

This reminds me of the time I tried to make a spreadsheet of all of my tools…the list got kind of excessive. Unless you only do one specific trade, you are bound to end up with a huge quantity of “stuff”. The trick is to keep using that “stuff” in the future!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

I have duct tape. Not sure how that missed your list unless it was pretty much a given?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a lot of stuff too. More stuff than I have room for.

I have a lot of stuff too. More stuff than I have room for.

It is amazing how much we accumulate. At times I swear I spend more time organizing and making room for tools, etc. than I spend using them. I am with you Dirty, more room would be awfully nice. I need a shop like Ron’s.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The stuff never stops accumulating. Problem I have is the attic space above my garage is full of crap that I need to sift through this spring/summer.

Inside the house my wife and I have started thinning out and tossing, selling, giving away a ton of stuff.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Keep in mind that the amount of stuff you have expands to fill the space you have to put it.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Keep in mind that the amount of stuff you have expands to fill the space you have to put it.

This is true. I have a lot of stuff also the cleaning items, paper disposable floor mats, moving blankets, disposable gloves etc etc and they all take up shelf or wall space. It is amazing for sure how it accumulates.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I had a small dumpster delivered to my house a few years ago. Had a tiny job nearby, so I brought there demo here and had a lot of room left. I had one here last year when we did my roof also. I think if I had one of those smaller dumpsters on a regular basis, it would really help keep things organized.

I would be screwed if I didn’t have my shop. When you choose to be a general contractor or remodeler you end up doing so many different things that all require different tools.

For random building supplies we try and go through things 1-2 times a year. We throw away any small lumber and plywood that hasn’t been used up in that time. If you keep everything that could get used one day you won’t have enough room and you’ll forget where it was at it when you need it anyway.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.289 seconds