dcsimg

Summer Cleaning on BTP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

I’ve noticed quite a bit of discussion on the site about threads and posts being off-topic.  I want to clarify the official position of BTP just to make sure everyone is up-to-speed.  I’ve address some of these items in other threads, but I want to put everyone in one place.  I realize that it’s long, but I think it’s important that everyone reads this.

First, there is a difference between off-topic posts and off-topic threads.  When you create a new thread, first determine what sub-forum it belongs in.  This will help determine the discussion on the thread.  And for clarification, you can post any type of thread on Talk Around the Job Site because it’s for random conversation.  We love both the construction talk and the random conversations.  All work and no play makes Aaron (and Dirty and John and Boyd and …) a dull boy.  We know your life revolves around so much more than work so we want to let you post about topics not relating to work; just make sure it is in the right sub-forum and that it doesn’t take away the current discussion on the thread.

And just as with any conversations, it’s a given that there will be some off-topic comments.  We’re totally fine with this, but please just make sure that it’s limited and you try to relate it back to the topic at hand.  This is more for trade or tool-specific threads.  If random threads (e.g. Boyd’s HAM) go off-topic, I think that’s fine because it’s just a fun conversation.  Threads on the latest brushless tool or battery need to stay on topic.  Everything not in the Talk Around the Job Site sub-forum needs to stay on topic.  We’ve essentially broken the forum into two – Talk Around the Job Site for random, off-topic conversation and everything else for construction discussions.  We want BTP to be a place to talk to other pros about tools, projects, trade news, etc. and just life in general.

I know by now many of you may be thinking about the points and if random conversations will abuse the system.  We’ve created lots of check and balances so that the points cannot be abused.  We’re fine with off-topic threads in Talk Around the Job Site because we have so many point limits.  We love that so many (if not all) are willing to post past their limit – that means that you enjoy the site and the camaraderie.  We also specifically state in the rules that abusing the point system will not be allowed.  For example, one member joined and never made a post, but they changed their profile picture enough times to rack up over 200K points.  I then told him that the points will be deleted because we don’t reward behavior like that and referred him back to the rules that everyone agrees to when they register.

When it comes to content that is allowed, we want to be as clear as possible to remove any misconceptions. We want to keep BTP free from posts that objectify/negatively stereotype groups of people and make them feel outcast or taken for granted. This includes refraining from discussions on religions, politics, sex and the like.  We know that discussions like this take place every day, but we ask that you keep it off BTP.  BTP is a public forum open for any one and we don’t want a single person or group of people to feel discriminated against.  We realize that what objectify/negatively stereotypes a person is subjective, but in the end we will have the final say in what’s allowed and what’s not.  We will delete all posts (or threads) that go against this and try to explain why.

And one more note: please refrain from double posting if possible.  We allow the Edit button to be used for a few hours after your post so you can make a quick change.  Again, it’s not due to points because we set up systems in the back-end to handle this, but is more for clarify when reading posts.  It can be hard to follow discussions when multiple people are double or triple posting.  Please just post once and use the Quote feature to address the comment you’re responding to.  You can also use the Quote feature to quote comments from different posts in a single reply.

Finally, please keep all arguments off the threads and keep them to private messages.  You can also contact me about anything via private message or email.  We don’t want to shut down a good discussion because individuals have an off-topic one-on-one discussion/argument.

Sorry to write a dissertation, but I just wanted to be super clear about everything.  It’s very important that we listen to our members and are super honest with them.  A forum is a constantly evolving communication channel and some of the things mentions above may change as the site evolves.  Read the forum rules in it’s entirety if you have any questions.  You can also comment on here with any question or concerns.   Thanks so much to everyone for all your active support – you’re all the best!

Aaron

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Thanks for the update, Aaron. This is the coolest site on the web in my opinion. Not just because of points, but more importantly the members are so cool to talk with. Very helpful posts about the trades and tools, and nice random conversations which are entertaining, friendly and respectful. And, what helps a lot to maintain such a great site is that you keep an eye on what’s going on, reminding members in a respectful way.

Thanks for your diligence, Aaron.

Pat

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Thanks very much Aaron, a great dose of nothing but common sense, one of the things I love about BTP! I’m amazed that with all the growth here there haven’t been more problems and tyrades like a lot of us have seen in other online communities, we have a great bunch here and thanks to you and everyone at BTP you’ve kept it that way through all the growth.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you for the dissertation, Aaron. It made everything clear as mud. Seriously though, it was a great and well written post that needed to be made. I’m glad to hear that everything isn’t black and white because that would never work. I’m happy that a little gray is allowed.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Thanks for the clarification!

So what’s the best way to get oil stains out of concrete?

😉

--Steve

Thanks for the clarification!

So what’s the best way to get oil stains out of concrete?

;)

I like cheeseburgers too!

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Who posted 0 times and racked up 200k points. That’s crazy lol. Good idea on your post Aaron.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Thanks for the reminder and clarification of the rules Aaron. And thanks for BTP – I belong to several forums and this is the only one that I look at everyday – primarily because of the other members and the noted lack of BS that overwhelms every other forum.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

There are different ways to do things. I would say that you are doing it the right way Aaron and doing it extremely well. Thanks for your active participation.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Hope Im not guilty of breaking forum conduct. I will try to pay more attention.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks Aaron, i assume one of the mods will tell me when i have violated some rule and i do get reminders from time to time when i start to stray. Thanks

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its all good aaron, never hurts to make sure people know the rules and stay on track

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

That is not where I thought that topic was going but I am glad I read it. Thanks BTP

redwood
    Pro

That is not where I thought that topic was going but I am glad I read it. Thanks BTP

I agree. If it had been titled, clarification of BTP posting guidelines, most of us may not have even opened it. It was so well written that I acutally read the whole thing. Thanks Aaron and BTP.

For example, one member joined and never made a post, but they changed their profile picture enough times to rack up over 200K points

That was insane. I didn’t think you got very many points for changing your profile pic. I thought it was like 25 pts.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Thanks Aaron! The place is great and some gentle rule reminders won’t hurt anything.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Thanks Aaron…

one member joined and never made a post, but they changed their profile picture enough times to rack up over 200K points.

Wait a minute, We get points for changing our profiles?

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No not any more. That stopped a long time ago.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

No not any more. That stopped a long time ago.

I can see why. 200,000 points without ever posting.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice try

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

<br>
    Nice try

I had to check and see. Besides, Aaron said he didn’t want an politics on here.

Should have changed it to:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.831 seconds