dcsimg

Suggestion on portable belt sander for dad's bday. Less than $200.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hey guys. My dad wants a belt sander for his birthday. Looking for something affordable – less than $200, but optimally around $100-150. He would be using it every so often to refinish some old pieces of furniture. I’m out of my element, here, so I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m not sure a belt sander is the best for furniture but I have had and used a Makita belt sander for many years.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Depending on what he is refinishing, I would agree that a bels sander amy not be the best option. In a lot of cases aggressive sanding like that will destroy the value of a piece. If they pieces are not of great value, it should not matter.

If the pieces to refinish are Veneer, the belt would also probably to aggressive. Probably best with a good Random Orbit sander. I have a Porter Cable from when Porter Cable were good tools.

I would agree with Dirty that Makita makes a good one and also the Bosch. I have not used many other belt sanders.

I have a port-cable 3×21 which I really love . But if your looking for a decent price unit . I had the ryobi 3×21 few years back which work pretty well for me until I lent it out and never seen it back . The old style one like 5 plus years ago . The dust bag worked well .

Always willing to learn .

For belt, Makita is probably best, but the Triton is good for the money. If you can, get a sanding screen too.

That said, I would suggest a random orbit for what you are describing. Can be just as agressive as a belt, but can also be fine.

The only real thing a belt can do that nothing else can is scribing and sharpening blades

I concur with the others. I make a fair amount of furniture pieces and rarely if ever, use a belt sander. Hard to control and very aggressive.

I appreciate the responses. He has a random orbital. I will defer to him on when it is appropriate to use a belt sander on furniture. I’m just trying to get him what he is asking for. I will check out the models suggested. Thanks!

I appreciate the responses. He has a random orbital. I will defer to him on when it is appropriate to use a belt sander on furniture. I’m just trying to get him what he is asking for. I will check out the models suggested. Thanks!

Besides the two I already listed, you may also be happy with the Ridgid or the B&D Dragster. I normally dont recommend B&D, but for this sander, they are decent. Ridgid has been stepping up their game too, and the belt sander seems decent for the money

If budget allows though, get the Makita, but see if something big like a 4X24 is what is wanted or a baby 3X18 or something in between. And again, see if you can get a sanding frame for it

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have a Makita 9404…24×4″ belt sander. It’s been a real work horse in my shop.

It automatically adjusts the belt tracking and has good power as well as variable speed….I think it was $239.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.490 seconds