dcsimg

Subs borrowing your tools

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I don’t know about you but on the rare occasion I borrow something it will for sure break and then I go buy them a new one. I very seldom ever borrow anything.

woodman_412

I don’t like people borrowing my tools at all. Sometimes if I’m working on site and another trade needs to borrow a basic tool quickly I don’t mind too much but definitely not any of my good stuff. I’ve been working on a job where the electrician took my impact driver and just started using it which I wasn’t too happy about. Its my stuff that I use the way it should be used and when people borrow stuff you don’t know what they will do to it.

Dan

danpattison.com

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I don’t know about you but on the rare occasion I borrow something it will for sure break and then I go buy them a new one. I very seldom ever borrow anything.

That would be the right thing to do but too many people just return you the broken tool like nothing happened. My ex-neighbor borrowed my bottle jack and returned it completely non-functional and didn’t even say a word. He moved sometime after, good thing it would’ve been the last time I loaned him anything.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Guess what…he shows up today…no tools. At all.

No tools whatsoever ever. Wtf…

Why show up if you don’t have any tools with you. Oh, I know!!!!! He saw $10K of MY STUFF on site and figured, “What the F#ck….I’ll just leave my junk at home and borrow his tools.”

I don’t care if the property owner knew him prior to his or not. I fired his ass right there. He left a big mess yesterday and managed to come LESS prepared than yesterday! If you were wondering….YES he actually does have a license…..how the heck?!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Why show up if you don’t have any tools with you. Oh, I know!!!!! He saw $10K of MY STUFF on site and figured, “What the F#ck….I’ll just leave my junk at home and borrow his tools.”

Sounds like he he is really lazy. Like you said why show up with no tools. Sometimes you just shake your head and wonder about people.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

monman1
    Pro

Thats just nuts!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Some of the younger guys were talking about sub work. It was said that you need all the tools to get the job done. That’s not always the case. If you have a good backer you can get a sub from them and some of the tools/equipment but your profits will be lower. Now subs just trying to borrow your tools is crazy. It’s not about lending the tools really that is the biggest problem, it’s about how well can ythey do the job if they not properly prepared and how well do they know their trade.

A Working Pro since 2004

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

I’ve dropped my 6 1/2″ cordless saw once and former labourers have dropped it a handful of times. I’ve replaced it with a 7 1/4 Fuel saw but the labourers don’t get to use that one. I don’t care if they have to run out a cord and use the makita.

My roommate is a commercial electrician and found some plumber helping himself to his makita batteries. The guy then tried to convince him they were in fact HIS batteries.

I have an engraver at home I use to inscribe my serial numbers into my tools and had given it to him to do the same for his. He resolved the dispute but the gall of some of these guys…

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

My roommate is a commercial electrician and found some plumber helping himself to his makita batteries. The guy then tried to convince him they were in fact HIS batteries.

I have an engraver at home I use to inscribe my serial numbers into my tools and had given it to him to do the same for his. He resolved the dispute but the gall of some of these guys…

That’s a rough situation to be in. I’d be pretty upset, crazy that you need to use an engraver. I worked some GC for large projects and understand the high amount of sub trades on a site though. I guess that is a good route. Any trades that steal a tool or borrow without asking should be fired or given time off. NO company needs employees like that.

A Working Pro since 2004

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

We generally hire good employees. I may not be the boss but I do have authority to fire the bad apples.

I picked up engraving my tools from my boss. He’s been doing it for 20 years and the cops have been able to return tools to us because of them. Most recently a 16″ Makita circular saw. Those aren’t cheap. I’m not worried about our usual subtrades, they’re stand up folks. It’s the guys that come by after hours and try to steal things. Also some of the subs use the same battery system and occasionally we’ve had a mix up when charging out of the only working plug in the place. Checking my serial number makes it easy to differentiate.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sounds like he he is really lazy. Like you said why show up with no tools. Sometimes you just shake your head and wonder about people.

I guess he has a full time job in sales (mostly phone based) and he is a part time electrician. This explains his relaxed attitude, but doesn’t excuse him from bringing the necessary tools to do the job.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

When I first started out in the trades I came with the cheapest belt and cheapest tools because it was all I could afford but hey it was something.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I don’t care if the property owner knew him prior to his or not. I fired his ass right there. He left a big mess yesterday and managed to come LESS prepared than yesterday! If you were wondering….YES he actually does have a license…..how the heck?!

I can’t say that I blame you Jon. I would have been pissed if he showed up without any tools. How in the heck is he going to work with out tools?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

When I first started out in the trades I came with the cheapest belt and cheapest tools because it was all I could afford but hey it was something.

But you had your own stuff. Top of the line or not, you had the forethought to be prepared and buy the necessary tools. At one point, I owned cheaper tools that served me well for years. I’ve upgraded many of them and don’t feel like I should have to share!

Jon P.
    Instagram

Did you every ask him why he didn’t show up with his equipment for his job .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I can’t say that I blame you Jon. I would have been pissed if he showed up without any tools. How in the heck is he going to work with out tools?

I didn’t even bother to ask. He clearly wasn’t prepared…showed up and kind of wandered around looking up at the wiring above the drop ceiling. I just told him not to come back and that I would finish up myself because I didn’t feel like he was taking the job seriously. I think he agreed because he didn’t argue or offer any objection.

Jon P.
    Instagram

AndyG
    Pro

I love nice tools. But really? You mean you came to work, and don’t have what you need? Really?

The best answer is just don’t let it get started . Even my own guys better have a pencil and tape at all times , even my administrative guy…no joke .

Usually , if its a specialized task, I ll stop and do it for them , but they aren’t getting full access to my tools. My trailer pretty much tells people I’m serious about tools and organization .

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@AndyG, I wish our site trailer looked like that. It gets close some of the time; does that count?

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t care if the property owner knew him prior to his or not. I fired his ass right there.

That’s great!! That’s how they learn.

My roommate is a commercial electrician and found some plumber helping himself to his makita batteries.

Yup, gotta mark your batteries.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

I think we could all see that one coming. One can only take so much, and the fact you were venting via this thread you started, you just needed one more ‘straw’ to hit the breaking point. Don’t blame you one bit!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.524 seconds