dcsimg

Subs borrowing your tools

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The guys worth hiring usually already have a job. Too bad you have to put up with a dud.

I’ll inspect it closer when he’s done, but I think the work itself is good. He should only need a couple hours in the morning to finish the rough ins. Hope that’s the case as I need to get onto the Sheetrock!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that a rough one because he’s a friend on the HO.
    I have had the guy asking for a tool and I say nope I don’t have it. Then he points to it laying right there and I say but that’s the one I’ll be using and if you have it I can’t use it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t lend tools to anyone but @58chev, as I know he is probably the only one that will treat the tools right.

I don’t lend tools to anyone but @58chev, as I know he is probably the only one that will treat the tools right.

That is clearly, blatantly, sucking up to the FIL, but, I know what you mean. A couple of friends and my father have full run of my tools. Nobody else gets near them. Neighbours who ask to borrow something tend to get me coming along to do the task myself and take the tool with me when I go.

I did hold onto some very low end stuff from when I first moved out and had no cash – keep it around for jobs that need disposable. Neighbours can borrow those. I find out who brings them back. If the old b&d nicad doesn’t make its way home, I will be glad for the extra space. Same with some Jobmate screwdrivers, Skil jigsaw and garage sale relics (stuff that had restoration potential, but didn’t work out as worth fixing up)

On the other end, One neighbour asked to borrow a hand plane to shave down a slight swelling in his door. I gave him an old, rusted, sharp piece of scrap (the handyman budget line Stanley #5) that I keep sharp but not much else. Told him I haven’t gotten around to restoring it. He used it, and brought it back about a week later. It was gleaming. No rust anywhere, not a nick, freshly re sharpened, and the bottom had been flattened and polished. He actually apologized for not doing anything with the Japaning

That guy has just earned the right to borrow any of my stuff.

But borrowing without asking, and asking for stuff anyone should own, especially in a pro setting, is unacceptable.

I have had the guy asking for a tool and I say nope I don’t have it. Then he points to it laying right there and I say but that’s the one I’ll be using and if you have it I can’t use it.

Good one Dirty, I’m going to remember that one.

@jponto07 man that’s tuff, I can’t believe not even a pen/pencil and paper /clipboard come on. But it’s not easy if he knows how H O. Good luck.

You could always do what I have done in the past, sure you can borrow my tools, but you might want to wipe them off with a lysol wipe I have the Gastro, see if he still does lol.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I don’t mind them occasionally borrowing a tool. It is easy to forget to put something in the truck. But does get old when it’s every time they show up.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I wouldn’t go so far as to say they are friends…but they do know each other. I’m hoping that he shows up today with the tools he forgot yesterday and I don’t have to be pissed about it anymore. If not, I’m going to harrass him about it for sure.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I let some borrow my tools but prefer not to.
    I let my niece borrow my bosch sander to refinish her table. It came back with the pad all falling apart. Needless to say she will not get the use of any more tools.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will gladly let someone use something of mine – I just let some out-of-staters use my miter saw for a week, because they forgot theirs – but not habitually. Sounds like you’re hiring the wrong guys. I don’t really care what brand you prefer or anything, but I do expect professionals to come with pretty much everything they need. At this stage, I don’t care to work with trunk-slammers.

Doobie

I’m hoping that he shows up today with the tools he forgot yesterday and I don’t have to be pissed about it anymore. If not, I’m going to harrass him about it for sure.

Could be worse. He could be the one with the hemorrhoids. 🙁

🙂

amulder
    Pro
    London, ON

The bit about borrowing the tape measure is what really puzzles me…

My dad was a finishing carpenter and I worked with him as a kid for a while. The tape is either in my hands or in my pouch. Period. And there’s a spare (or three or four) in the toolbox/truck.

www.wordsnwood.com

Doobie

Really, how can any trade guy that has to measure stuff not have at least one tape measure?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That is clearly, blatantly, sucking up to the FIL, but, I know what you mean. A couple of friends and my father have full run of my tools. Nobody else gets near them. Neighbours who ask to borrow something tend to get me coming along to do the task myself and take the tool with me when I go.

I did hold onto some very low end stuff from when I first moved out and had no cash – keep it around for jobs that need disposable. Neighbours can borrow those. I find out who brings them back. If the old b&d nicad doesn’t make its way home, I will be glad for the extra space. Same with some Jobmate screwdrivers, Skil jigsaw and garage sale relics (stuff that had restoration potential, but didn’t work out as worth fixing up)

On the other end, One neighbour asked to borrow a hand plane to shave down a slight swelling in his door. I gave him an old, rusted, sharp piece of scrap (the handyman budget line Stanley #5) that I keep sharp but not much else. Told him I haven’t gotten around to restoring it. He used it, and brought it back about a week later. It was gleaming. No rust anywhere, not a nick, freshly re sharpened, and the bottom had been flattened and polished. He actually apologized for not doing anything with the Japaning

But borrowing without asking, and asking for stuff anyone should own, especially in a pro setting, is unacceptable.

l will lend a tool out once and most likely be right beside the person to see how the tool is treated. Mis-treat it and you will never see any tools again. 🙂

I have an el cheapo torque wrench from PA that I lend out to my neighbour to do tire changes, I will not lend him my good torque wrench. 😮

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

l will lend a tool out once and most likely be right beside the person to see how the tool is treated. Mis-treat it and you will never see any tools again.

That’s happened to me a few times years ago. Now, I only lend out on rare occasions to people who I know will bring it back the way it went out. I take care of my tools, and if somebody else doesn’t do likewise, the free tool rental shop is closed!

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I am pretty firm on not lending my tools out to anyone who is from another company. I will loan stuff to the other guys on my crew if they don’t have something, especially if it’s a new apprentice just starting out. I have let other trades on site with me borrow something but only if it is for a short task and only if they ask.

I let my niece borrow my bosch sander to refinish her table. It came back with the pad all falling apart. Needless to say she will not get the use of any more tools.

Haha funny you mentioned that, a couple of weekends ago, I hello move my mom and the same day, my sister, my niece and nephew asked to borrow tools, well, at the end of the day, who do you think had to go Hunting for my own tools.

Doobie

Haha funny you mentioned that, a couple of weekends ago, I hello move my mom and the same day, my sister, my niece and nephew asked to borrow tools, well, at the end of the day, who do you think had to go Hunting for my own tools.

Family! Hard to say no to them. Gotta keep the peace! 🙁

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Tough to be a tool guy eh? You have the good stuff, people who will take care of yours probably already have their own, and the ones who borrow stuff won’t. You are afraid to loan your good stuff to the latter, so you either come across as cheap or you end up keeping another set of crappy tools and looks like a free rental shop.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s something you don’t see too often. Shows he appreciates the opportunity to borrow a tool and respects the owner. Wish he lived next door to me!

Usually the guy who asks to borrow is careless and selfish.

I will only loan those tools I know I won’t miss if they don’t come back.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I feel your pain. I do lend the odd tool out but I try to discourage it.

If you ask for my tape 3 times and there are four in the trailer, you are going to get a Talk about organization.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.642 seconds