dcsimg

Subs borrowing your tools

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How do you handle subs constantly borrowing your tools? I think it’s inappropriate and unprofessional. After a while, I start to question their competence…why can’t you remember to bring a tape or a flathead screwdriver??

The electrician I’m working with on this job keeps snatching my stuff. Sometimes he asks, other times he just grabs it on his own. It’s inconvenient to have to go searching for my own tape measure. I have three with me, but he grabs the one in my belt while I’m at lunch and wanders off with it. Maybe I’m over reacting, but my tools are my livelihood. They make me money and pay my mortgage, etc.

Why can’t anyone remember a freaking ladder? Just because it’s in the room unattended doesn’t mean that I won’t need it in 20 minutes! How do you all deal with things like is?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

The subs I’m familiar with and have worked with for years can use my tools if they’re short something but it’s not often that happens.

Anyone else…get lost. My tools are just that. Mine.

I don’t spend my hard earned money on tools just for some monkey to pick up my saw and drop it.

I don’t get angry but I’m pretty firm that my tools are off limits to those people I don’t know.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I met this guy like 3 days ago. He’s a really nice guy, and if not for the lack of arriving prepared I wouldn’t have any issue with him. Oddly enough, he brought a pile of tools with he, but today he asked / didn’t bother to ask for a flathead screwdriver, a tape measure, a hammer, and my ladder. I seriously doubt he’d steal anything, but that isn’t the issue. Tools are required to work in the trades…where are YOURS?

I don’t even lend things to my friends….if they ask to borrow something, I’ll just show up and do the work myself most of the time.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

I won’t lend to my friends either. No one takes care of my tools as well as I do.

My labourer uses my tools because he doesn’t have his own. I cut him some slack because he’s got 3 kids at home, his wife is injured and off work and he just can’t afford tools. He treats them carefully enough.

Doobie

Just scratch your arse a few times in front of him and see if he keeps wanting to borrow your stuff. Tell him you can’t help it, bad case of hemmaroids.

I would be a little annoyed with him as well. I find my tools are very personal to me.

That would piss me off too! I would have a quick talk with him and explain he is slowing you up.

Improper planning on you part does not constitute an emergency on my part….

PissPoorPlanningPreventsProgress….

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I share tools all day with the guys I work with. That being said, I would not be very happy if anyone took something without asking. I think sharing tools with other trades can sometimes help you out during the job, or they may pay you back with another favour. I’m talking big tools though like a concrete breaker. If someone was using my ladder all day or borrowing my personal tools I would probably tell them off.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Nope, bring your own tools. I don’t mind occasionally lending a tool to a sub I know well but he doesn’t need to borrow stuff often. As for a sub just taking my tools without asking…the first time you are getting an earful, there better not be a second time.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I share tools all day with the guys I work with. That being said, I would not be very happy if anyone took something without asking. I think sharing tools with other trades can sometimes help you out during the job, or they may pay you back with another favour. I’m talking big tools though like a concrete breaker. If someone was using my ladder all day or borrowing my personal tools I would probably tell them off.

Yeah I don’t mind helping out, but taking without asking and asking for basic tools is ridiculous.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would be a little annoyed with him as well. I find my tools are very personal to me.

Maybe that’s why I’m so bothered by it…I have an unhealthy personal attachment to my tools. BUT, they are mine. If this guy worked for me, it would be another story but he’s a sub. He agreed to complete a job for a price…while I’m sure he actually owns the simple tools he borrowed from me, he should have brought the dang things.

Perhaps the contract should explicitly state that subs are to supply their own tools…isn’t that a given though? This job didn’t have a contract as its kind of small. If he was prepared, it would have only taken 3-4 hours.

Jon P.
    Instagram

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

depends on teh situation.. theres times when our hardwood installer runs in the house really quick to measure up a thresh hold or something and forgets his tape.. no big deal.. or he comes back to install that custom threshold which he milled up long. needs to trim it so he uses my chop saw ok go ahead..

but when guys are on site all day and cant be bothered to set up tools thats annoying,, even with my own guys.. the other day one of our guys was cutting off the corner boards which were run long. he went to grab my $80 japanese hand saw i nearly lost it on him. i use that saw for very fine cuts and thats it.. the corner board he wanted to cut is pressure treated lodgepole pine which is then painted…

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

I remember an old boss (I’m glad I’m done with that company) telling me he wanted me to lend my combo kit (my fuel drills, saw, sawzall, $160 batteries) to the labourers for a job.

Screw that. He still owes me an impact from the last time a labourer picked one up. Not that I’ll ever see it.

Years ago I came to work once and found the stone installer using my brand new California framer to knock mortar off blocks. Wrecked the face and chipped the wood handle. I was pissed.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I firmly believe that if someone wrecks your tool they owe you a new one of equal quality. Either that or some cash

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

He also owes me a fibreglass ladder and a 30′ winter grade cord. I’ll never see any of it but the company may be tanking anyway. They’re in court for abandonment of a contract on an 8 million dollar job.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

He also owes me a fibreglass ladder and a 30′ winter grade cord. I’ll never see any of it but the company may be tanking anyway. They’re in court for abandonment of a contract on an 8 million dollar job.

Ouch! That isn’t a good sign for their future…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I only let long time subs borrow a tool in a pinch . Newer subs no way they should be equipped or there $$$ out of luck . Plus what insurance policy checks to see who’s covered for injuries in use of your tools in a freak accident .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that taking the tool with out asking… That’s low! I wouldn’t put up with it. you use your tool I use mine. You wipe your bu………………oh well……..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Just sit him down and explain to him the way it goes on your jobsite. Come prepared, or don’t come at all.

Maybe it’s easy for me, ’cause I’m kind of a hard ass. I don’t usually mince words. I’ve had to tone down my naturally abrasive personality to stay here on this forum. 😆 😮

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Man that taking the tool with out asking… That’s low! I wouldn’t put up with it. you use your tool I use mine. You wipe your bu………………oh well……..

Right! I moved all of my stuff to one spot so he could work quickly and not have to step over my stuff/ piles of materials. He immediately asked me for a flat head screwdriver, and asked if my ladder was “available”. When I came back from lunch, he had my tape as well….and then asked for my hammer. I mean come on. ALL of those items should be in your tool bag, no?

I should have known this guy was a flake too. My client recommended him. They know each other…he seems knowledgeable and is a nice guy, so I gave him the work. He showed up to see the job without a pen or paper. He borrowed my pen and ripped some cardboard off of a box of vapor barrier (that sh#t needs a box or it’ll unroll everywhere!) and proceeded to take notes. He left twice in the span of 4-5 hours and didn’t complete what he said he would. Now he’s coming back in the morning.

This guy is probably going to be a one and done on my jobsite…this is why I work alone!

Jon P.
    Instagram

Youngin
    Pro
    Edmonton, AB

The guys worth hiring usually already have a job. Too bad you have to put up with a dud.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.617 seconds