dcsimg

Strip Built Kayak Build

This topic contains 72 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  yellaD 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for the long radio silence on this thread. Been an unusually cold early spring and I am not a fan of gluing up in the cold. The only glue joint I’ve ever had fail on me yet was one that was done when it was too cold for the glue to get a proper cure.

That is, I guess, the most important part of the build and quite a process to assemble it all. Good work.

I have heard rumours about this thing called spring; it’s supposed to happen soon. lol

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

OK, so I definitely need to stock up on clamps prior to starting a canoe or kayak build 🙂

Will

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

OK, so I definitely need to stock up on clamps prior to starting a canoe or kayak build

Haha quite right. I’ll need to grab a stash of spring clamps when the time comes for their part in the process as I don’t have tons of those. Fortunately they are pretty cheap.

I have heard rumours about this thing called spring; it’s supposed to happen soon. lol

I’m having a hard time picturing it.

Looks like you have a nice start on a good foundation. Good luck with this “spring” thing I keep hearing about.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for the long radio silence on this thread. Been an unusually cold early spring and I am not a fan of gluing up in the cold. The only glue joint I’ve ever had fail on me yet was one that was done when it was too cold for the glue to get a proper cure.

This weekend we had a little break in the weather and I managed to glue up the strongback while it was warmish (high 40s F). I used every clamp in my shop gluing this thing up. I had to rush to get it all done and clamped in time before the glue set up. With the part lines staggered throughout the strongback (no two on any side occur at the same point along its length) I had to make sure each part was glued up and the seam was fairly tight all at the same time. I used my workbench, table saw table, and an outfeed roller to support it at various points. Once it was glued up and in the clamps I sighted down the length and width and did my best to make it as straight as possible. Not an easy thing to sight down considering there were probably 30 clamps attached to it. Once it had been in the clamps for an hour I took them off and made some final straightening adjustments with shims (no pics of that… I’ll take one). It’s pretty good. Certainly seems good enough. Total length is 16 feet and it will get cut back to 14 ft 11 in.

Next step will be cutting some spacer blocks to fit over the strongback that space the forms every 12 inches.

Total time on the build is now 14 hours. I’m looking forward to seeing some visible progress. Shouldn’t be too long now before that (he says optimistically).

Thanks very much for reading.

I feel your pain with spring thing. Wise choice waiting for warmer weather for glue up. Big project to have any glue up fail. Sounds like you have lots of clamps. Nice work and good luck with your build.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looking good so far. Good thing you had a lot of clamps, looks like you used them all.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, missed this thread, definitely interesting to watch your build,
    You might have only a two car garage, but you definitely have lots of equipment and tools,
    Hats off to you on getting the project going,
    I had no idea that this canoe is good for both ruff and gentle waters.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks everyone for checking in! Glad to be moving forward. Today if I can sneak out my plan is to glue up the spacers.

The strongback is very straight along the 4 inch side, but there was a small bend looking down the 2 inch side (see pic). I clamped a 2 by 4 along that section (with the bend in the middle), then spread clamped blocks on each end separating the wood from the beam. Then I tightened up a clamp in the middle, and just slightly overcorrected the bend. By morning I loosened the clamps and it was as perfect as I could see.

Attachments:

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That’s a good trick to remember – I’m sure I’ll use that in the future. Glad things are moving along!

Charlie

Instagram

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

So I’ve spent some time over the last few days working on getting the spacers glued up and cut to length. These will go in between the forms to hold them steady but allow more adjustability than screwing them into place would. This is the method that Nick has been using for his last few boats. I want them to seat over the strongback, and the middle one will get wedged in place to provide tension to keep the forms aligned along the length of the boat.
    I glued these up in 8 foot lengths, with spacers to allow for clamping on top to keep the sides parallel.
    Once the glue was dry, I worked on cutting them to length. They are too wide to use my table saw with crosscut sled, so I reverted to my miter saw. I needed to make a stop 11.5 inches from the blade (the forms are 1/2 in thick). Given how wide the spacers are it was impossible to clamp straight to the miter saw fence, so I used some double stick (woodturners) tape to hold the tall piece of my stop in place. Then I messed around with the stop till it was just right. A few test cuts and away I went.
    I cut 16 of them, and the miter saw cut perfect 90 degree miters. After cutting them, I noticed that they weren’t square along the bevel though. Damn!! Good thing I left them a TOUCH long. See picture with my combo square to see how out of square they were.
    I tuned up the bevel and recut both sides of each spacer and they behaved much better. Phew. I have 16 of them which is more than I’ll need for this boat since the first and last few feet are separate pieces.
    Next step will be setting up and aligning the forms on the strongback. Actually, the next step will be cutting one of these in half to accept some wedges as the middle spacer. Then I’ll have to clear enough space in my workshop to get this all set up. Which means finishing a few more projects currently taking up room. Never ends.

Total time spent to date: 16.5 hours.

Enjoy the pics. Hopefully I’ll have more updates soon. Questions, comments always welcome.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

A few more pics to go with the post above.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

A few more pics to go with the post above.

That’s a really good setup with the spacers. Should keep everything square and solid. Screwing the forms to the strongback leaves the opportunity for things to go out of square very quickly.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

Neat idea using the spacers. I would have never thought of that. It will surely improve consistency.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m excited to see your next few phases – it sounds like we’re about to start seeing the beginnings of the shape your boat will take!

Charlie

Instagram

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I’m excited to see your next few phases – it sounds like we’re about to start seeing the beginnings of the shape your boat will take!

Thanks everyone! Getting there. Today I spent most of the day working on other projects, but soon enough I’ll be stringing on the forms! I did cut a few pieces of plywood that will accept the strongback and spacers. Will post some pics when they’re attached to the stands.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

So I’ve spent some time over the last few days working on getting the spacers glued up and cut to length. These will go in between the forms to hold them steady but allow more adjustability than screwing them into place would. This is the method that Nick has been using for his last few boats. I want them to seat over the strongback, and the middle one will get wedged in place to provide tension to keep the forms aligned along the length of the boat.
    I glued these up in 8 foot lengths, with spacers to allow for clamping on top to keep the sides parallel.
    Once the glue was dry, I worked on cutting them to length. They are too wide to use my table saw with crosscut sled, so I reverted to my miter saw. I needed to make a stop 11.5 inches from the blade (the forms are 1/2 in thick). Given how wide the spacers are it was impossible to clamp straight to the miter saw fence, so I used some double stick (woodturners) tape to hold the tall piece of my stop in place. Then I messed around with the stop till it was just right. A few test cuts and away I went.
    I cut 16 of them, and the miter saw cut perfect 90 degree miters. After cutting them, I noticed that they weren’t square along the bevel though. Damn!! Good thing I left them a TOUCH long. See picture with my combo square to see how out of square they were.
    I tuned up the bevel and recut both sides of each spacer and they behaved much better. Phew. I have 16 of them which is more than I’ll need for this boat since the first and last few feet are separate pieces.
    Next step will be setting up and aligning the forms on the strongback. Actually, the next step will be cutting one of these in half to accept some wedges as the middle spacer. Then I’ll have to clear enough space in my workshop to get this all set up. Which means finishing a few more projects currently taking up room. Never ends.

Total time spent to date: 16.5 hours.

Enjoy the pics. Hopefully I’ll have more updates soon. Questions, comments always welcome.

Look for to following this build. I am curious the hours spent to date are all shop hours.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Looks like a fun project, I’ll be following along also.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice save on the spacers. Saved a bunch of work and material.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks everyone. Greg, I am just tracking hours that I spend working directly on this project. I spend time in the shop doing other stuff, but I only record the time I spend on this project.

Today I was able to get some time in the shop to work on the forms that will be attached to the end forms. These will go 6 inches and 1 foot from the front and back of the boat. They are the 8 little pieces seen in the pic.

The end forms are the next order of business. Like all the other forms, they will not be part of the finished boat, but I want them to taper on the edges. As instructed by the Schade book and videos, I am making a tapered stem that will fit on the end form and end up being part of the finished boat. I’m just using some scrap pine that I had lying around, but nonetheless it is the first actual piece of wood that will be part of the finished boat!! I planed it down to 1/2 inch wide and made some templates out of mdf (see pics). It feels exciting to be getting close to some actual woodworking.

Next steps (after tapering the end stems) will be marking out form locations on the strongback. Total time now is at 18.5 hours. Almost half a work week.

Thanks, as always, for reading and commenting.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wow lots of time spent building the jigs for the boat. When you are done you will have everything necessary to build them and then sell if you wanted to.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.112 seconds