dcsimg

Strip Built Kayak Build

This topic contains 72 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  yellaD 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I think the hardest part of the build is sourcing 18 foot clear cedar and ripping it into 1/4″ strips. At least you will be avoiding the tedious job of putting the cove and bead profile on all the edges.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

This looks very interesting.
    Will you be making your own paddles?

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I think the hardest part of the build is sourcing 18 foot clear cedar and ripping it into 1/4″ strips. At least you will be avoiding the tedious job of putting the cove and bead profile on all the edges.

For sure. I plan on paying a visit to Liberty Cedar in Kingstown RI when I am ready to source cedar. I am lucky to live near enough to Nick Schade that I can use the same lumberyard that he uses, so I am happy knowing that if it’s good enough for him, it’ll be good enough for me. Nick also has said before that using lumber with a few judicious knots actually gives the boat character, and as long as they are not too big they won’t affect the strength of the boat at all. So we’ll see.

Thanks! I have plans to build my own paddle once it’s done. We’ll see when the time comes for that. I have some people I can borrow paddles from once the boat is done so that I don’t get antsy building a paddle and staring at a completed boat that I can’t put in.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

For sure. I plan on paying a visit to Liberty Cedar in Kingstown RI when I am ready to source cedar. I am lucky to live near enough to Nick Schade that I can use the same lumberyard that he uses, so I am happy knowing that if it’s good enough for him, it’ll be good enough for me. Nick also has said before that using lumber with a few judicious knots actually gives the boat character, and as long as they are not too big they won’t affect the strength of the boat at all. So we’ll see.

Thanks! I have plans to build my own paddle once it’s done. We’ll see when the time comes for that. I have some people I can borrow paddles from once the boat is done so that I don’t get antsy building a paddle and staring at a completed boat that I can’t put in.

That is such a huge obstacle for most boatbuilders. You are indeed fortunate to have a ready source for material. I like the use of “judicious” knots; it’s covered inside and out with glass so no harm done. Any other design features you are planning?

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

That is such a huge obstacle for most boatbuilders. You are indeed fortunate to have a ready source for material. I like the use of “judicious” knots; it’s covered inside and out with glass so no harm done. Any other design features you are planning?

Honestly I haven’t given too much thought to the pattern I’ll use. Nick is building a superb example of a bookmatched pattern kayak right now, with an amazing set of videos to accompany it. I love the look of the bookmatched wood, but for my first boat I don’t want to bite off more than I should chew. He’s also not using staples for that build and I plan on using them.
    I do hope to put some accent strips at certain points. I have a neat piece of zebrawood that might be fun to use as an accent, or many other species. We’ll see.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Well after a long delay due to power outages/blizzards/fence repairs/life I’ve managed to find a bit of time to sneak out to the shop to get some work done on the kayak. The next big task is going to be making the strongback. While it doesn’t have to be perfect, my thought it that the closer to perfect it is now, the easier alignment will be when the forms go on. I ripped down 4 strips of plywood to 4 inches wide, then rabbeted down both edges of the strips. They’ll accept thinner strips, which when glued up will give a beam that is a true 2″ by 4″, albeit hollow. I will stagger the joints on each side of the beam to minimize weaknesses and take advantage of the straightness of the boards.
    The end goal is a strongback that is 14 feet 11 inches long. I’ll taper the ends a bit as needed and specified in the plans for the small ending forms. I will continue to keep this blog updated as I progress with this next step.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve managed to find a bit of time to sneak out to the shop to get some work done on the kayak.

Nice you finally got started. Looking forward to following the build.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Well after a long delay due to power outages/blizzards/fence repairs/life I’ve managed to find a bit of time to sneak out to the shop to get some work done on the kayak. The next big task is going to be making the strongback. While it doesn’t have to be perfect, my thought it that the closer to perfect it is now, the easier alignment will be when the forms go on. I ripped down 4 strips of plywood to 4 inches wide, then rabbeted down both edges of the strips. They’ll accept thinner strips, which when glued up will give a beam that is a true 2″ by 4″, albeit hollow. I will stagger the joints on each side of the beam to minimize weaknesses and take advantage of the straightness of the boards.
    The end goal is a strongback that is 14 feet 11 inches long. I’ll taper the ends a bit as needed and specified in the plans for the small ending forms. I will continue to keep this blog updated as I progress with this next step.

That’s quite a piece of engineering but critical for the construction. Good that you are taking care here.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I was able to rip down the thin strips for the strongback to make the total width of the beam be 2 inches (or just a hair shy). Not too much work since my saw was set up for ripping those strips. I also crosscut them so that the joints can be staggered. No pics yet since it basically looks the same as last time I posted.

Next step will be gluing up the strongback from the pieces cut. However, we are apparently due for another 8-12 inches of snow on Thursday, and it’s been freezing for the past week. Not good gluing weather. Once the weather slides into spring (ANY DAY NOW!!!!) I’ll get the beam glued up and cut to final length and shape the ends.

Total time for the build is now at 12 hours. I’m getting closer to starting to think about actually touching the wood that the boat will actually be made out of, which is kinda cool.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I was able to rip down the thin strips for the strongback to make the total width of the beam be 2 inches (or just a hair shy). Not too much work since my saw was set up for ripping those strips. I also crosscut them so that the joints can be staggered. No pics yet since it basically looks the same as last time I posted.

Next step will be gluing up the strongback from the pieces cut. However, we are apparently due for another 8-12 inches of snow on Thursday, and it’s been freezing for the past week. Not good gluing weather. Once the weather slides into spring (ANY DAY NOW!!!!) I’ll get the beam glued up and cut to final length and shape the ends.

Total time for the build is now at 12 hours. I’m getting closer to starting to think about actually touching the wood that the boat will actually be made out of, which is kinda cool.

I can’t wait either! lol Bummer that there is more snow coming, you have had way more than your fair share this winter.

Really looking forward to the strip layup using that funky little plane.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I can’t wait either! lol Bummer that there is more snow coming, you have had way more than your fair share this winter.

Really looking forward to the strip layup using that funky little plane.

For sure. We did have some nice days in January that were unseasonably warm, but today is the first day of spring dammit!

I am also looking forward to using the RoboBevel. Both it and the plane are sitting in a drawer in my desk waiting for their day(s) in the sun!

Looking forward to progress AND nicer weather. It’s the first day of spring, so it’s gotta come around soon.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Well it’s still cold in the northeast, but we should be getting a warmup soon. In the meantime, I’ve been busy in the shop making some boat stands. Took me about an hour, screwed together. 2 by 4 scraps and plywood scraps. Next steps will be making some spacers to go between forms on the strongback.

Attachments:

Well it’s still cold in the northeast, but we should be getting a warmup soon. In the meantime, I’ve been busy in the shop making some boat stands. Took me about an hour, screwed together. 2 by 4 scraps and plywood scraps. Next steps will be making some spacers to go between forms on the strongback.

I could see some round foam going on the plywood there on your stand,

Attachments:

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Well, I for one can’t wait for the actual project to begin. Weather will be getting better soon, I hope.

Good idea, Lon. Cheap and easy to replace as they get worn.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks for commenting gents. The foam is a great idea. Nick has used weatherstripping. The plywood is only for support, and won’t end up holding the actual boat. I’ll be making some plates to attach to the top of the posts that will hold the strongback while I’m stripping (get yer minds out of the gutter!). Once the boat is half stripped and ready to flip over, I’ll make some patterns out of mdf or maybe plywood that I’ll attach, and at that point use a pool noodle or weatherstripping as a cushion.

Awesome thread, I plan on doing either a cedar strip canoe or kayak at some point in time.

Will

Awesome thread, I plan on doing either a cedar strip canoe or kayak at some point in time.

It’s on my bucket list too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for the long radio silence on this thread. Been an unusually cold early spring and I am not a fan of gluing up in the cold. The only glue joint I’ve ever had fail on me yet was one that was done when it was too cold for the glue to get a proper cure.

This weekend we had a little break in the weather and I managed to glue up the strongback while it was warmish (high 40s F). I used every clamp in my shop gluing this thing up. I had to rush to get it all done and clamped in time before the glue set up. With the part lines staggered throughout the strongback (no two on any side occur at the same point along its length) I had to make sure each part was glued up and the seam was fairly tight all at the same time. I used my workbench, table saw table, and an outfeed roller to support it at various points. Once it was glued up and in the clamps I sighted down the length and width and did my best to make it as straight as possible. Not an easy thing to sight down considering there were probably 30 clamps attached to it. Once it had been in the clamps for an hour I took them off and made some final straightening adjustments with shims (no pics of that… I’ll take one). It’s pretty good. Certainly seems good enough. Total length is 16 feet and it will get cut back to 14 ft 11 in.

Next step will be cutting some spacer blocks to fit over the strongback that space the forms every 12 inches.

Total time on the build is now 14 hours. I’m looking forward to seeing some visible progress. Shouldn’t be too long now before that (he says optimistically).

Thanks very much for reading.

No small undertaking to build your strongback. Certainly gives credence to the saying you can never have enough clamps. Take heart, warmer weather is on the way. Thanks for the update.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.116 seconds