dcsimg

Storm door install

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    keko
    Pro

most all doors come with an extender recheck the box it came in. you will have to take the rail back off to put the extender on though otherwise put a little insulation in the hole and caulk both sides inside and out.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I installed two Larson storm doors today. They came with these plastic extenders to fill in the gap at the bottom of the frame.

I think I have done more of the Larsons than any other storm door. They do a pretty good job with making their instructions clear. There doors seem to be of decent quality also, especially when you get to the middle of the road ones.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I installed two Larson storm doors today. They came with these plastic extenders to fill in the gap at the bottom of the frame.

I think I have done more of the Larsons than any other storm door. They do a pretty good job with making their instructions clear. There doors seem to be of decent quality also, especially when you get to the middle of the road ones.

Most that I have done were Larson doors. These were the Larson Tradewinds I like the retractable screen built into this door.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Is Larson a lowes brand? Or at least a brand you get at lowes?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

They are available at Lowes.

Ron

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Lowes carries part of the Larson line, others are available elsewhere.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I agree that they probably shorted you a rail extension.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I’m not sure about Anderson, but I know at least Larson storms come with a z-bar extension. I just did a few this past week. Not only do they have a z-bar extension, but they also have little pieces of felt/brush that stick on to cover any gap on that bottom corner.

I’m guessing you missed a step or were shorted material. I’d suggest to see if you can find out for sure what is missing and if you get that one piece. If not, I’m not sure what I would do. Some of the previous suggestion might work fine, but spray foam would look too hackish, just to be honest.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I used to dislike Larson and always encouraged the higher end Anderson now Im back to the Larson.

Storm doors are the quirkiest things and can really piss you off. I am never surprised how often then change hardware and little odd stuff. I have often felt the need to read the directions even though I have installed 100’s at this point because of that.

The last one I did came preset with spacer jamb clips….I was like wtf…I had to sip my coffee and digest the point of it all.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Measure twice cut once i never came a crosswith this problem.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Measuring has zero to do with this problem.

They sell storm doors to fit a range of rough opening sizes…and the method to close any gaps in height is these plastic jamb things. Obviously, the pieces weren’t included in the box.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Measuring has zero to do with this problem.

They sell storm doors to fit a range of rough opening sizes…and the method to close any gaps in height is these plastic jamb things. Obviously, the pieces weren’t included in the box.

It’s been some time since I hung any storm doors, but I never seen those rail extensions included in the hardware box. The top Z-bar and rails were always long and had to be cut to fit.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Talked to a rep at Home Depot about the rail extender. He said Anderson doors do not come with any extenders so that confirms if I’m missing one and that they do not stock an item like this for Anderson storm doors.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Send an email with a photo of the problem to Anderson doors and ask them how to solve the problem.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

The top Z-bar and rails were always long and had to be cut to fit.

95% of the time that is true. But I have have into a lot of older homes where the z bar jambs were too short. In most of these case they were too short because of a sharply sloped door sill that made the opening a few inches taller.

jponto07 wrote:
    Chad is correct.
    That’s not unusual

LOL! Thanks Dirty!!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn
    ronw wrote:

They came with these plastic extenders to fill in the gap at the bottom of the frame.

Did you use them? Maybe you mail Nyx one??

I did use them. And doubt the extenders form a Larson would work on Anderson.

Ron

Send an email with a photo of the problem to Anderson doors and ask them how to solve the problem.

That’s what I’m thinking also, or give them a phone call and see what they can do. Good luck,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How about just fabbing up a bit of wood to go in there.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Called Anderson and confirmed that they do not make any kind of extension piece for this application. However, due to the 90day warranty they were happy to send me a replacement rail. I’ll swap out the old one when the replacement comes in and see if i can get a better fit.

Anderson Customer Service (thumbs up)

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Replaced rail. Fits better now.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.319 seconds