dcsimg

Storm door install

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I recently installed a storm door and once complete noticed that one of the side rails was cut about a quarter inch short. The door is nearly sealed all the way around by a frame with felt on it. However, in this one area ithere is a hole. My thought was to spray just a bit of spray foam to seal this hole. Good, bad idea? Any thoughts?

Attachments:

I recently installed a storm door and once complete noticed that one of the side rails was cut about a quarter inch short. The door is nearly sealed all the way around by a frame with felt on it. However, in this one area ithere is a hole. My thought was to spray just a bit of spray foam to seal this hole. Good, bad idea? Any thoughts?

When I come across things like this with storm doors I just run a small bead of caulk to fill it up if it’s small eoungh .

Always willing to learn .

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Hadn’t thought of caulk but that’s a good idea, and along the same line I was thinking by applying some flexible application to the material. Thanks for that suggestion.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I would get some kind of rubber gasket or weather stripping

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Do your best, caulk the rest……. or order another rail

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Good motto.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Hah! Nice.

For that I’d use the 100% silicone since with seasonal expansion and contraction you want something that moves a bit. Downside is it’s not paintable. Maybe someone with more caulking expertise will know more, but that’s what I’d use.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Good tip, I think I have a tube of that already too.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Too big of a hole to caulk.
    I’d use foam. Don’t caulk over foam because it won’t stick to it.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

They do make a plastic piece that slides into the z-bar and is used to extend the leg if needed. I can’t find a good link to it online – mostly because I don’t know the actual name of the piece. But I do think that Home Depot sells them.

Here is a link to a pic:
    http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US8146295B2/US08146295-20120403-D00022.png

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Hmm, thanks chad, I’ll have to ask HD about that. That’s where the door came from.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

No problem. I know some storm door models come with those pieces in the hardware kit.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

They do make a plastic piece that slides into the z-bar and is used to extend the leg if needed. I can’t find a good link to it online – mostly because I don’t know the actual name of the piece. But I do think that Home Depot sells them.

Here is a link to a pic:
    http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US8146295B2/US08146295-20120403-D00022.png

Chad is correct. This piece is what you are missing. @Nyx, what brand was the door you installed? Larson’s definitely come with this piece.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Anderson.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Almost certain it’s just called a rail extender

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Storm doors can be tricky when you don’t install them all of the time. I bet if you retraced your steps, you will find that something was skipped or not followed correctly.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Storm doors can be tricky when you don’t install them all of the time. I bet if you retraced your steps, you will find that something was skipped or not followed correctly.

Oh I’m almost positive that a measurement was off just a bit and that’s why I am in this position. Now I just need to fix this one area so it’s closed/sealed all the way around.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Oh I’m almost positive that a measurement was off just a bit and that’s why I am in this position. Now I just need to fix this one area so it’s closed/sealed all the way around.

I wasn’t being critical, just have been there myself. I probably install one every couple of years. Occasionally, I will do 2 on the same house, and the second one is always a breeze. My Achilles heel seems to be installing the closers. Somehow I always end up with an extra hole, or just cannot get it to close at the right speed.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I installed two Larson storm doors today. They came with these plastic extenders to fill in the gap at the bottom of the frame.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Attachments:

Another vote for the extender. If it doesn’t have one I would get some door corner felt pads with the adhesive on the back and trim one to fit before I would caulk it. This way the door has something to close against.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.341 seconds