dcsimg

Stone Splitting

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  kanakaman 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

This video series is based on traditional methods of work and to encourage a return to “hand made” in construction.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Looks like workin on the chain gang!
    Way to much work for me.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Interesting, I have seen a lot of split stone and talked to some guys who have done it, but never seen it done.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

That actually looks like fun. I’m being serious.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

It is fun….. for maybe 10 years, then your back is shot.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

It is fun….. for maybe 10 years, then your back is shot.

The old fellow in the video, I think they said he is 70 looks to be in pretty good shape. His son is doing the right thing with back support and a full face mask.

Tough work, for sure.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Looks like a tough job. I don’t envy those guys at all.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Looks like workin on the chain gang!
    Way to much work for me.

yea remind me the chain gang too. LOL

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I kind of like this approach to masonry.

In a few years he will have destroyed elbows like I do. No way I can swing any sort of implement which has any sort of impact. This is how I split stone (much more fun too) I am a small scale miner and do demo on the side. This is an awesome tool if you don’t want/need a big explosion and it does a FINE job of splitting rocks.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@kanakaman, Kanaka Welcome Brah,,,The mods look down on dropping links to product on your first post.. Your link didn’t work for me,,,,
    Kanaka maoli you?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@kanakaman, Kanaka Welcome Brah,,,The mods look down on dropping links to product on your first post.. Your link didn’t work for me,,,,
    Kanaka maoli you?

Dirty is right @kanakaman. With the spam this site receives, adding external links throws up a red flag, especially when its a new member. Considering it links to a document, I’ll be removing the link.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Dirty…. et al… no worries, sorry about that. I will just wanted to give some ideas for people. I will hang and contribute when I can.

Let’s try it this way…. there are rock splitting alternatives to doing it by hand. The two ATF approved ones are Microblaster and Sierra Blaster. Go to their websites to see which ones may work for your specific application. I use one of those and I am very happy with it. I can break into many pieces a 6 foot diameter rock using about $1.50 worth of charges and in about 3 minutes of drilling. I suspect the feathers method takes a little bit longer and in my case would be impossible for me to do, as hammering with a single jack would be too painful as my elbows have been destroyed by overuse in the last 50 years of my life. Here’s a hint, if you are young, don’t overuse your elbows or you will be sorry. Been there, done that.

Dirtywhiteboy- negative on the Kanaka origins, just a favorite place I go. I just showed some guys I know who work for a big local excavation company what the rock splitters will do. They seem to think it will give the chemical splitters a run for their money. I surely think so. They were pretty impressed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.777 seconds