dcsimg

Stilla's Life of Finish Carpentry.

This topic contains 123 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 124 total)
  • Author

watch me totally fail at my first attempt at making a youtube video.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/BfK9NVuWjjg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Thanks for share with us and doing a quick video . Love the work keep it up .

Always willing to learn .

Stilla
    Pro

I just bought a gopro. The videos I can capture atm have to be done when i am on break. it’s not my job to shoot video of a work in progress, when i am being paid to do my job. My employer is aware of the video I made and will be aware of many others. The gopro can be voice commanded to record, if i can find a way where i can mount it and record the work in progress, i will do so.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome I really like the work in progress videos, hopefully you can find a way to make it work for you

Stilla
    Pro

So I built this linen closet. Its 2 carcasses made from birch plywood with a 1 inch and a half poplar face frame. The Total width of the closet is 6 foot 8 and 1/2 inches. My door is 5’0. The two attached carcasses measure 6 foot 7 inches. The trouble is i could not build both carcasses on the bench and slide them into place. I had to partially assemble one in the closet. I had never attempted such a tight fitting closet system. I was glad i could make it happen.

Nice! Man I feel sorry for the painter. I like doing built ins like that. Do you prefer the standards vs pins?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The gopro can be voice commanded to record, if i can find a way where i can mount it and record the work in progress, i will do so.

I have set the GP up and it will do 4 hours of time laps, a shot every 10,15 20 seconds. Charge the battery at lunch and 4 more hours after lunch.
    The built in looks great.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

So I built this linen closet. Its 2 carcasses made from birch plywood with a 1 inch and a half poplar face frame. The Total width of the closet is 6 foot 8 and 1/2 inches. My door is 5’0. The two attached carcasses measure 6 foot 7 inches. The trouble is i could not build both carcasses on the bench and slide them into place. I had to partially assemble one in the closet. I had never attempted such a tight fitting closet system. I was glad i could make it happen.

That is a tight space, nice job on the closet.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That came out really nice, I like the contrast in colour.

Nice job on that. Assembling in place can be challenging. Someone has a large collection of linens.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Stilla
    Pro

Nice! Man I feel sorry for the painter. I like doing built ins like that. Do you prefer the standards vs pins?

My boss told me to do the standards. It’s a spec home. I assume my boss doesn’t want me to take the time to drill pin holes. I might make a jig for the future, many members here have great jigs. But even with the jig i assume my boss would want an apprentice to perform the task.

Standards look bad, i would like to do shelf pins. The person who buys this home will have the money to make the change if it bothers them. They also have the cash to build new shelves.

Stilla
    Pro

That came out really nice, I like the contrast in colour.

Everything you see will be painted, the painters we use, and are proud to have, are doing 60 hour weeks. Just so they can keep up with all the work we have. They primed the linen close at night, I was not done with the work.

Stilla
    Pro

removed, duplicate.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Michael, really nice work on the built-ins. Yes, you’re right, pins would be a better finish look but time consuming compared to standards.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So I built this linen closet.

Very nice job on the closet. Simple yet elegant.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Stilla
    Pro

My boss wanted to hide the supply lines to a washing machine. This is the first time i have ever attempted to build cabinet doors. The rail and stile are 3/4 poplar, the panel is 1/2 birch. I used 3/4 overlay hinges. I mitered the corners of the doors, but i did use biscuits. I would have mortise and tenon the rail and stile, but i was aware i could mess it up as i don’t have a sled to perform the cut. My panel doesn’t rattle and i didn’t glue it in. I was very happy with my first attempt at building cabinet doors.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

My boss wanted to hide the supply lines to a washing machine. This is the first time i have ever attempted to build cabinet doors. The rail and stile are 3/4 poplar, the panel is 1/2 birch. I used 3/4 overlay hinges. I mitered the corners of the doors, but i did use biscuits. I would have mortise and tenon the rail and stile, but i was aware i could mess it up as i don’t have a sled to perform the cut. My panel doesn’t rattle and i didn’t glue it in. I was very happy with my first attempt at building cabinet doors.

That looks pretty good. I don’t think I would have mitered the corners, as I bet the cabinet doors above are not mitered either. I can’t really tell from the pic, but typically they are not.

Stilla
    Pro

That looks pretty good. I don’t think I would have mitered the corners, as I bet the cabinet doors above are not mitered either. I can’t really tell from the pic, but typically they are not.

The cabinets doors above are mortise and tenon. I am thinking my boss is now aware that this kind of work is something i can do. I now have to prepare myself for such work. Next time I will be more professional.My experience with built-ins is showcased in the topic. You are viewing my first attempts at gaining experience with built-ins.

Stilla
    Pro

Last days on the job, the protection in the kitchen was removed. I finally get to grab a few images of our work.

Last days on the job, the protection in the kitchen was removed. I finally get to grab a few images of our work.

I really like that. Nice clean lines, not too busy. Add to that the big base board and crown moulding and it’s a winner.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

The cabinets doors above are mortise and tenon. I am thinking my boss is now aware that this kind of work is something i can do. I now have to prepare myself for such work. Next time I will be more professional.My experience with built-ins is showcased in the topic. You are viewing my first attempts at gaining experience with built-ins.

Sounds like you need a domino for that.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.911 seconds