dcsimg

Stilla's Life of Finish Carpentry.

This topic contains 123 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 124 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@stilla nice work with the window trim. I like that look, I like the top the last picture

Stilla
    Pro

@boschmanbrian Thanks, working on a window like this was a learning experience, the things i learned working on that window have had a broad implication on my career.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think this took me 40 hours as the windows are not plumb, or square to each other.

Who sets the windows?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Stilla
    Pro

I think this took me 40 hours as the windows are not plumb, or square to each other.

Who sets the windows?

The framer builds the stick frame, installs the exterior trim, installs the exterior windows and doors, and the interior stairs.I wish my crew was large enough to take the windows, doors, and the stairs off their contract, as they create lots of problems for me.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So you company you work for only does the trim and not the whole house?
    Did you have a meeting with the framers to let them know of the mistakes?

Dirty

That’s crap if the windows are out. That is basic framing. Level, plumb, square, and shimmed!! That is the product of sq ft pricing and using a cheap framer.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Who sets the windows?

The framer builds the stick frame, installs the exterior trim, installs the exterior windows and doors, and the interior stairs.I wish my crew was large enough to take the windows, doors, and the stairs off their contract, as they create lots of problems for me.

Sounds like your crew may save money by doing the windows. Have you threw any numbers at them to get the windows

Stilla
    Pro

i want to ask, if your window has house wrap,and a window pan be it copper or just a flex wrap. That material has a thickness. who in this community is countering that thickness and is shimming the tops of their windows and doors to account for the thickness of the pan? i say as a finish carpenter my windows are not plumb. who is at fault?

The guy getting the awards,lol

Stilla
    Pro

your right, this is be the pro forums, i am finding i am not the pro, i will find another place for my work.

Stilla
    Pro

if a moderator would be so kind, i want to remove this thread.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    @stilla wrote:

you may want to tag one or 2???

Dirty

i want to ask, if your window has house wrap,and a window pan be it copper or just a flex wrap. That material has a thickness. who in this community is countering that thickness and is shimming the tops of their windows and doors to account for the thickness of the pan? i say as a finish carpenter my windows are not plumb. who is at fault?

I can’t say I have noticed any issues with trimming due to the window wrap/sill pan but I can see how it could cause grief in a bay or large multi unit window. Are you having issues with inconsistent jamb extension reveals or windows not being parallel to each other?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’d stick around here at BTP. I myself enjoyed seeing your thread and reading it.

Please ignore the “warm” welcome from a couple of our pros, we generally encourage a friendly atmosphere where we all can learn and showcase our work.
    @bethepro

A Working Pro since 2004

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

instead of getting the builder to not have the framers install the windows, have them simply set them in the holes but dont nail them off. let the siding installers actually set them as the windows not being level effects them as well.. as it can effect the trim on the outside just as much as the insdie if windows are close together

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

your right, this is be the pro forums, i am finding i am not the pro, i will find another place for my work.

Stick around. I am so enjoying seeing your beautiful work.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I wouldnt take my last comment serious. The one before when I said your crew may benifet by doing the windows was serious. This was a joke gone bad, I apologize that it came out like it did

Stick around. I am so enjoying seeing your beautiful work.

Likewise. It’s a great example of craftsmanship

Stilla
    Pro

So yeah, I have been lurking the site. I don’t want this thread to be removed. I am probably going to take a lot of lip.

This is a pantry I am building. The cleats are 1×6 popular ripped in half. The shelving is birch plywood. The plywood is scribed to the walls. But I also had to make sure the inside corner between the adjacent shelving was plumb and square, for the face frame. That forced me to pull the shelves away from the drywall. The gap between the plywood and the wall is calkable, like 1/8th of an inch, but i will hide the gap with a rip of popular. The seam of the plywood is biscuited. The top shelf was a pain to fit, as it sits right against a soffit, i was able to get it to work out.

So yeah, I have been lurking the site. I don’t want this thread to be removed. I am probably going to take a lot of lip.

This is a pantry I am building. The cleats are 1×6 popular ripped in half. The shelving is birch plywood. The plywood is scribed to the walls. But I also had to make sure the inside corner between the adjacent shelving was plumb and square, for the face frame. That forced me to pull the shelves away from the drywall. The gap between the plywood and the wall is calkable, like 1/8th of an inch, but i will hide the gap with a rip of popular. The seam of the plywood is biscuited. The top shelf was a pain to fit, as it sits right against a soffit, i was able to get it to work out.

You ARE going to get some lip. Youre the new guy here and we will bust your balls for a while. Dont let that stop you coming back.

Project looks good

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.185 seconds