dcsimg

Stilla's Life of Finish Carpentry.

This topic contains 123 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 124 total)
  • Author

Stilla
    Pro

I have been in the trades for 16 years. I started out sweeping floors, I am now the lead carpenter for a high end builder. Five years ago I struggled to accomplish any finish work. Today I have been awarded with 5 Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Connecticut awards, HOBI awards. The awards are a big deal, in my state, hundreds of people showcase their work, hoping that their jobs are selected to showcase the best talent in the state.

I have been a finish carpenter for 5 years, I am 38 years old, and this is my life of carpentry showcased in the images i capture.

Stilla
    Pro

the first coat of paint has been applied, the shiplap is a shade of gray between the trim paint and the walls. i love the hanging fixture.

Stilla
    Pro

What did i do today? closets.

Building a coat closet system in a mud room, it’s 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall to the top of the closet poll.The 5 shelves will be 32 inches long by 13 inches wide. The top shelf is 6 feet long by 15 inches wide. I like to lift the shelving carcass, so the baseboard can run under it. I think it looks more finished. Most people would rather have the space back, but there is a practical reason for doing it this, first it’s easier to build, 2nd it separates the shelf from the floor. Floor dust and dirt won’t get on your stuff. And its easier to clean around. The face frame is 1 inch and 1/2 . 

we ran out of baseboard,but we have an open house, so i tacked scraps of baseboard to the shelving unit to mock up what i was doing for the public.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Great work. I’m looking forward to following your future projects.

Love the modesty.

Love the modesty.

Come on now, he is proud of his work.

Welcome aboard Stilla. Looking forward to seeing some more of what you do.

That room is looking great. I love what you did with the wall and all the windows make it nice and open feeling.

I agree on the baseboard under the closet.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Love the modesty.

Today I have been awarded with 5 Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Connecticut awards, HOBI awards.

yeah but he said that HE was awarded or was he awarded or the general contractor that he works for or the developer awarded. I have also been on many homes that has all kinds of awards from here in Hawaii like the BIA Parade of Homes but I would never say that I was awarded because I was just part of the team that put the whole thing together the guy digging the mud outside for the foundation started it and the guy putting on the gutter when we were long gone finished it so it as a team I’m just part of that and the general contractor or developer was awarded. There is a long story that goes along with this,,,,, not now.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Stilla
    Pro

Love the modesty.

Today I have been awarded with 5 Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Connecticut awards, HOBI awards.

yeah but he said that HE was awarded or was he awarded or the general contractor that he works for or the developer awarded. I have also been on many homes that has all kinds of awards from here in Hawaii like the BIA Parade of Homes but I would never say that I was awarded because I was just part of the team that put the whole thing together the guy digging the mud outside for the foundation started it and the guy putting on the gutter when we were long gone finished it so it as a team I’m just part of that and the general contractor or developer was awarded. There is a long story that goes along with this,,,,, not now.

Your right dirty, my boss hangs his awards on the walls of his foyer for everyone to see like a diploma display, and the lead carpenter had nothing to do with it.

Your right the guy guy who dug the hole, is the real deal, as a result we won an award. Doesn’t matter that the guy who dug the dirt, has no responsibility.

But who cares, the awards I won, or we won, are driven down to the guy who used a shovel. in your opinion.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@stilla, keep up the great work. Looking forward to more of what you have done or will be doing in the future.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It sounded so weird that I thought it’s some sort of those C series movies. The ones with flying, snow swimming sharks. The title that is.
    Never seen one only the frigging advertisings and I have to admit that they look promising compared to this thread.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

You definitely do top work. How does one win those awards do you apply for them or something.

Stilla
    Pro

You definitely do top work. How does one win those awards do you apply for them or something.

The award is given out by the Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Connecticut Inc,. Its a non profit Lobby group in CT, that is tied to The National Association of Home Builders, in Washington DC. The Association attempts to solve industry problems and promote its growth, upholding the highest degree of professionalism, integrity, work ethic.

As a member, you get to show case your work. As i understand it, each work submitted, by photos, undergoes a preliminary judgment, if your work passes the initial suspicion of quality work. Judges are sent to walk the job to critique the work. In CT there are 800 members.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

there are similar awards here through the nova scoita home builders association. the company i started out with as a registered apprentice 13 years ago won several awards.. at teh time i though it was a big deal but now when i see the companies win it i sorta laugh.. the nsbha is a bit of a big boys club nothing more than a marketing ploy for companies to drum up business.. some of the best high end builders here have absolutely nothing to do with the nshba their product sells itself

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Stilla
    Pro

there are similar awards here through the nova scoita home builders association. the company i started out with as a registered apprentice 13 years ago won several awards.. at teh time i though it was a big deal but now when i see the companies win it i sorta laugh.. the nsbha is a bit of a big boys club nothing more than a marketing ploy for companies to drum up business.. some of the best high end builders here have absolutely nothing to do with the nshba their product sells itself

I would agree. I am young and I would like to win many more awards. Maybe one day i will laugh at these awards like you. But i gotta say its a lobby group that’s trying to protect my livelihood, so i don’t think i will ever declare its meaningless.

Stilla
    Pro

I know many of you have seen these images, but i am going to repost them, as it relates to my topic.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have to say, nice work, love all that trim work, thanks for sharing your experience and small part of your story.
    Keep up the good work.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

and the lead carpenter had nothing to do with it.

You’re right we are all disposable. I work on a crew of around 100 guys. With out a good foundation my-our work means nothing. I am blessed to have done all phases of building. You are right no one part is more important than the other it does take a team. To me the most important guy is the GC or Developer that causes the work and the GC that pays me to feed my family. I am but one little worker bee.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

The same thing applies here. Many of the homes we work in are never considered for any awards because most builders here aren’t members of any trade groups. I work for one builder who has one several awards, but his final products are no better than many others that I work for. I also agree that a finished home is a compilation of many subs efforts. As a framer, I rarely get any credit for the final product, but I know that my input and efforts are appreciated by the builder, and are just as important as any other sub who performed work there.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I know many of you have seen these images, but i am going to repost them, as it relates to my topic.

that is some awesome work, i am always inspired by your photos.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.549 seconds