dcsimg

still not convinced

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Okay. Questions I have. 1 I changed out my tires / rims this weekend. I used my refurbished 22618 it’s rating is 1950 inch pounds = 162.49 ft pounds to reinstall the nuts. Worked flawless for 3 vehicles battery life was great, it still has a charge. To remove the nuts on all 3 vehicles I used the 21618 high impact. That thing has torque, to much to use to reinstall. I was at the store this weekend, I felt the weight of the new Bosch impacts, to my surprise not much different in weight, mind you that was just for a minute, I imagine using the tools for a prolonged use your arms would feel the difference. Also the torque seams to have lowered on the small impact 1/2 compare to my 22618. That is different on the high torque, it has increased my old 21618 has 350 ft lbs the new model has I believe 500. Mind you the 350 ft lbs has more than enough to get the job done and then some. I still like my old ni-cads. Bosch have impressed me with the old tools. I guess I would need to test or try the newer lithium to be convinced. Any body have a similar situation where you have used the lithium

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In reality if the tool still works and you are happy with it then use it until it quits. I still have a bunch of NiCad tools that work great. The one reason I am upgrading is because the LithIon batteries have a much greater shelf like than the NiCads. You can charge a LithIon battery and 3 years later it still is at 100% with the NiCads they start to lose charge as soon as they come off the charger.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Theamcguy. I have done a lot of research on the different battery types. I know that if you cycle your ni-cad battery pack’s, they will last longer than usual. And it is not a good thing to leave a ni-cad battery in its charger. Average charge cycle for a ni-cad is about 400 to 800 depending on the manufacturer. I have had some coworkers already go through lithium battery pack’s. That being said a rule of thumb no battery likes heat. I know it’s hard when you are doing a job, we have a tendency of pushing the limit of the tools and battery. Your right about it, if it still works don’t change it for nothing. Maybe when I’m ready to update, the new lithium sugar based battery pack’s will be out 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wasn’t aware of Bosch making an impact rated at 500lbs in a 1/2″ drive, Which one is that? I have an old noname brand with Nicads that’s rated 300ish that I still use for lug nuts, No need to replace it till it quits me. But I expect that’ll happen one of these days, Then I’ll go with lithium

Dabbs like to see a picture of your old ni-cad impact. The Bosch is the high torque impact IWHT180-1 it’s rating is 500 ft lbs. My old 21618 is rating of 350 ft lbs. Have a great day

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

you could always use torque sticks to limit the torque when installing lug nuts

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice, I haven’t seen those. Nothing wrong with the NiCad tools, Lithium has its advantages for sure but if you take care of the batteries they will still go a long time on NiCad. I have been using my newer IDH182 Lithium for lug nuts and with a 4.0 pack I haven’t hit any yet I can’t spin off which is pretty good for a small impact (not a heavy duty like yours)

Yeah Sprokitz I bought a kit. Just don’t like the way it feels. They are quite precise although.

Thanks mattryyc yeah I love using the beast. To bad I can’t use it for more applications.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice, I haven’t seen those. Nothing wrong with the NiCad tools, Lithium has its advantages for sure but if you take care of the batteries they will still go a long time on NiCad. I have been using my newer IDH182 Lithium for lug nuts and with a 4.0 pack I haven’t hit any yet I can’t spin off which is pretty good for a small impact (not a heavy duty like yours)

Mine won’t remove the lug nuts on my truck, But it will on my golf cart and little car

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dabbs like to see a picture of your old ni-cad impact.

No you wouldn’t LOL, It’s no-name Harbor Freight special and is nothing impressive LOL…..Thanks for the info on the Bosch ones

Lol that’s funny. Hey as long as it still works. I will try to post a video of my Bosch 21618. It doesn’t even sweat to remove the nuts of my truck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still trying to figure out the HTH182-01 with 7/16″ hex drive, I think the rating is like 500ft lbs but I don’t understand that chuck?

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Mine won’t remove the lug nuts on my truck, But it will on my golf cart and little car

Wow – what are those torqued at? Mine are 110 ft/lbs and they’re good but I bet if you have an HD it would take some more.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m still trying to figure out the HTH182-01 with 7/16″ hex drive, I think the rating is like 500ft lbs but I don’t understand that chuck?

That is the same as the 1/2″ hth, just different chuck. I have the 7/16″ one. I use it for auger drill bits and just use an adapter for sockets.

I’m also with matt, what do you have your lug nuts torqued too?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I like the torque sticks if using an inpact, but I always go back and put a wrench on them. Nothing wrong with ni-cad as long as they work. I personally hate spending money on old tech when there is something better (for instance a battery fails) but is it worth the cost of a new tool if the old one works??? I doubt it.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

If your NiCD tools are still in fine shape and still performing to your satisfaction, no reason you have to update them. When the batteries start to die off, that may be the time to reconsider. But it sounds like they have treated you well, which is great to hear!

John S

I know guys. It’s just that with the old ni-cad. I don’t have the new tools as the grinder and the multi tool on the same battery platforms. And I used the big impact gun only to remove the nuts , it doesn’t hesitate at all. As for reinstalling them I just let the smaller 22618 with 162 ft-lbs tighten them back up. And I actually do double check them with either a torque wrench, or sometime do use my torque stick. And you guys are right, I have had great service and usage out of my Bosch tools. I guess it’s just a tool thing

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I know guys. It’s just that with the old ni-cad. I don’t have the new tools as the grinder and the multi tool on the same battery platforms. And I used the big impact gun only to remove the nuts , it doesn’t hesitate at all. As for reinstalling them I just let the smaller 22618 with 162 ft-lbs tighten them back up. And I actually do double check them with either a torque wrench, or sometime do use my torque stick. And you guys are right, I have had great service and usage out of my Bosch tools. I guess it’s just a tool thing

One battery platform is nice. Here’s an idea, post often and accumulate enough point to get the 18V Impact from BTP. I got one, same platform as my OMT and it is really nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good idea. I think it would take to long, thanks for the tip. I actually even repair my own battery pack’s. I even turned one old ni-cad into a lipo
    I bought the r/c 2800 amp hour pack for 30 ish $ did the soldering, and bought a 20 dollar smart charger. The pack is super light and lasts very long, just have to be careful not to discharge it to low. Works great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.369 seconds