dcsimg

Still Looking @ Vacuums

This topic contains 80 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I haven’t bought a Vacuum yet and am still looking at the different units. I’d like to have a small unit with good suction.
    I see Fein has a new one out and has been reviewed.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/corded/specialty/fein-turbo-preview/11612/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’ve used the fein but like the Festool better. Just seemed like it picked up better

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

What will you be using it for? I have a Ridgid which works well for general cleanup…and fairly well hooked to my Kapex. I would love to get something with auto start though for dust collection.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have the small ridgid 4 gallon vac. I love that thing. It had the same power as the larger unit and it uses vac bags.

I use it for general dust and drywall powder. If I was sanding and hooking up tools I would go to the Festool Midi

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve wondered about the small Ridgid vac. The small size would help with my limited cargo space.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

@dirtywhiteboy – have you seen this thread? http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/square-shop-vacs/page/6/

Throughout it there is some decent discussion on a variety of the upper end “square” shop vacs, including fein. Seems like the Fein qualifies well for your needs… and I am guessing the Festool midi will as well. My new Bosch vac is decent in being compact but nowhere near as tiny as the festool midi

John S

Have a kolbolt that we don’t use much. Hose is cheap and stiff, doesn’t perform as well as the others. Other two are both Rigid. A smaller one and then the HEPA. Really like these.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@dirtywhiteboy – have you seen this thread? http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/square-shop-vacs/page/6/

Throughout it there is some decent discussion on a variety of the upper end “square” shop vacs, including fein. Seems like the Fein qualifies well for your needs… and I am guessing the Festool midi will as well. My new Bosch vac is decent in being compact but nowhere near as tiny as the festool midi

I have had my Festool CT 21 for about 3 or 4 years. No complaints yet. They are a great Vac.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve wondered about the small Ridgid vac. The small size would help with my limited cargo space.

I have the 3.5HP and it sucks OK. The size is nice.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I think auto start is important if you plan in using it with any tools. Also I think variable speed is important if you plan on using it with a sander. Size is the x factor. Only Fein, Festool, and a few others have a smaller more portable unit. Dewalt has a hepa unit with autoclean that gets real good ratings but at 10 gallons it’s a bigger unit. And it doesn’t have any flat top to attach any boxes to it. What can you get locally @dirtywhiteboy?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

redwood
    Pro

I’m pretty sure that Dirty has a Festool already, I guess he’s not happy.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Also I think variable speed is important if you plan on using it with a sander.

just wondering if you could expand on your thoughts on this?

Brad T

redwood
    Pro

As I understand it, it is desireable to sand with the vacuum on it’s lowest setting. Too much suction and it sucks the sander too tight to the workpiece.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Mark nailed it. These more powerful vacuums can pull the pad into the work and cause swirls and not let the sander do its job. Similar to the result if you push too hard on the sander. I turn down mine to about 25% and it has plenty of suction to get rid of the dust.

Andrew

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Interesting o. The variable speed. I had never thought of that, butnit makess sense.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Mark nailed it. These more powerful vacuums can pull the pad into the work and cause swirls and not let the sander do its job. Similar to the result if you push too hard on the sander. I turn down mine to about 25% and it has plenty of suction to get rid of the dust.

Thanks guys. That makes sense but I never thought of it. Having only one sander with DC it hasn’t been an issue to date. That and I have a small vac.

Brad T

@dirtywhiteboy – thoughts on this? Or were you primarily posting to let us know about the new fein vacs?

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really need more that one when doing a good size job. I need one just hooked to the miter saw. It’s hard to have 2 guys working and only one vac.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What can you get locally @dirtywhiteboy?

The festool, Fein and Makita are all at Woodcraft. I don’t think it’s the new Fein tho.

Dirty

What can you get locally @dirtywhiteboy?

The festool, Fein and Makita are all at Woodcraft. I don’t think it’s the new Fein tho.

Gotcha. Yeah two vacs is nicer for sure especially with one on a miter saw. I would do the Festool just because then you have bags for both. You have a midi right?

Andrew

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Still Looking @ Vacuums’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 0.525 seconds