dcsimg

Steel Staircase

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Before moving back to charlotte i was still working in boone for a builder that employed me part time through college. This was one of the last project i worked on. It is plate steel will square stock welded to it to support the treads. All the wood was douglas fir, it was a fun project.

some more

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Very very cool. We recently framed a staircase that involved attaching stringers to steel tubing. Kind of a floating staircase deal.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks nice, but how well would the Doug fir hold up on stairs? We don’t use it in the Midwest…but isn’t it really soft?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Great job did you do the layout on the walls for the turn . The mortised slot is the best part . Did you run bolt up throw the step .

Always willing to learn .

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice! Looks like it was a fun project.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Cool project. @tylerwalker32, how did the stair treads fasten to metal support. Do you have a picture of the finished staircase?

Looks nice, but how well would the Doug fir hold up on stairs? We don’t use it in the Midwest…but isn’t it really soft?

Yes it is a very soft wood. From what i remember they will be using and epoxy to help durability.

We had the steel fabricator drill holes in the tubing and we ran 5″ simpson screws from the bottom to attach the treads.

Cool project. @tylerwalker32, how did the stair treads fasten to metal support. Do you have a picture of the finished staircase?

I dont, i actually don’t work with that builder anymore since moving back home, but i will see if i can get some finished pictures from my former coworker.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have been wanting to do a floating stair case for a while now. Unfortunately nobody has wanted them yet. The Douglas fur is nice wood I like working with it but it’s usually for exterior stuff.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Looks good. Stairs can be a whole art unto themselves.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This was one of the last project i worked on. It is plate steel will square stock welded to it to support the treads. All the wood was douglas fir, it was a fun project.

Tyler very nice project. Great work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice staircase, that is a whole lot of material to hog out for the tubes. It looks great however. Floating steps like that look very neat.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Before moving back to charlotte i was still working in boone for a builder that employed me part time through college. This was one of the last project i worked on. It is plate steel will square stock welded to it to support the treads. All the wood was douglas fir, it was a fun project.

Nice stair project Tyler. Nice job.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@tylerwalker32 wow, very nice, do they have any flex near the outside seeing how it’s only supported by the welded tube,
    The look is very neat.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a really cool set of stairs . I love the design .

We had the steel fabricator drill holes in the tubing and we ran 5″ simpson screws from the bottom to attach the treads.

I’m sure having them drill the holes saved a lot time for you on install . Did you get any splinting when drilling the screws up .

Always willing to learn .

Clev08
    Pro

That’s really cool, I hope you can get a picture of it finished!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t think I’d trust the welding guy well enough to put something like this in my house! One single 2″ square tube doesn’t seem like it could possibly be fail safe.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.277 seconds