dcsimg

Start a window company

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  brianpeters 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hello Guys

Who is running a WINDOWS COMPANY? I means who is selling windows and doors, and installing them, without doing any other construction jobs?

I’m asking this question because I’m in this business for the past 4 years and would like to share experience how to grow this type of company from the small office to a factory. I would like to get your experience as well, because during my way I did SOOOO many mistakes, so probably your opinion can help me and other guys to save money)))

So my questions:
    1. Are you happy with what you getting from your business, and if not, why?
    2. What is the biggest challenge that you are facing every day running your windows and doors business?

Lets talk!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Hi Nicolas,

I do my fair share of windows and doors but seem to get under cut by the local specialty store more often than not. They have their own crew do the installations and seem to charge quite a bit less than me (doesn’t bother me one bit though).

Generally speaking, windows and doors are probably only 5% of my business though…certainly not something I do too often.

Also, Please stop by the introduction page and let us know a bit about you! Don’t forget to complete your profile page either!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Hi Jon

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, the general contractors have a very small percentage of windows and doors jobs. There are companies who does only this, and do not touch any other construction works.

You right, this is some king of store selling this and installing with small crews of installer.

So to emphasize my topic, I’m talking about windows and doors store, or a small crew of 2-3 people who just get into this business, and wishing to grow.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We have a too many companies that do only windows and door here. It’s very competitive.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Your profile is a bit confusing : state is AB – Alberta ?? and the postal code is for Châteaugay-Quebec.
    So, where are you?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have to replace all the windows and doors in our current flip house.
    I have never seen windows like these before. I will have to add stops on both sides of the window.

Hi Sopra, profile corrected, yes I’m in Chateauguay.

By the way, somebody using a software to estimate doors and windows?

Someone know any cloud software to estimate doors and windows and provide a professional-looking quote to the customers? I was looking around but there is a construction estimator… Nothing for doors and windows only.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@messirkna, I assume you guys just sell replacement windows, I need to replace a few windows that the seal has either cracked, or broke, now they are full of moisture, so instead of replacing the whole windows and frame, which that they are 11 and a half years old, and in good shape for now,
    Do you have any website?
    I’m on the west island,

@boschmanbrian, we are replacing the entire windows, not just thermo glass. Is it something are you looking for?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@boschmanbrian, we are replacing the entire windows, not just thermo glass. Is it something are you looking for?

No, the window frame and case are still in great shape, so I just need the window pain replacement,
    I will start looking into some places near me, thanks.

Doobie
    Pro

No, the window frame and case are still in great shape, so I just need the window pain replacement,

We did that for a bunch of windows in our house. Shop around. Prices can vary widely.

Yes its better. Check for local vitrerie, They could replace your thermos.

So guys, initially topic was created to discuss the pain and success of windows business. Is there are someone here who does this business?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I install windows and doors as a business. Don’t make them.
    And of course the occasional siding and soffit.

Thanks Sopra, why you wouldn’t make them? What is the app are you using to give the quote for your customers, or its just paper based?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

We did that for a bunch of windows in our house. Shop around. Prices can vary widely.

Yes thank you Kevin, I have called two places already,
    They were both pretty close on pricing,
    The difference was in the gas and different types of glass, low E and with ultraviolet protection and so on
    Still doing some research,
    I changed, and installed numerous wild and doors over the years,
    I don’t have any issues with that type of work,
    So this is actually a slight bit easier,
    Just have to make sure my measures are very close.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

why you wouldn’t make them?

A custom made single hung cost about 700$ here and a vinyl Milgard about half of that. Why make them?? When you make windows where do you get the insulated glass made??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Thanks Sopra, why you wouldn’t make them? What is the app are you using to give the quote for your customers, or its just paper based?

Nothing fancy, only paper.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I do a lot of installation work for a window and door store here in town. They sell several different brands of windows, don’t make their own. They sell new construction windows or replacement windows, also they can order thermal glass to replace seal failures or broken glass.I don’t know about the software they use, I think mostly their quotes are hand written.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.459 seconds