dcsimg

Staining Brick

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Our new home we bought is brick. Since living here for a while I have notice that few my neighbor’s have painted there house. I have talked to one of neighbors about it. He told me he use a rubber type paint.
    After doing some research I found out you can stain brick. I am just wondering if anyone knows much about staining brick. Is staining better then painting your brick?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Our new home we bought is brick. Since living here for a while I have notice that few my neighbor’s have painted there house. I have talked to one of neighbors about it. He told me he use a rubber type paint.

After doing some research I found out you can stain brick. I am just wondering if anyone knows much about staining brick. Is staining better then painting your brick?

I’ve never heard of staining brick , I have actually seen a few houses in our neighborhood that have been repainted , they repainted the bricks , and siding , they actually came out looking really good , I’d be interested in hearing more about this , I know that those houses I was talking about , it’s been easy 3 years , and they still look great

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

’ve never heard of staining brick ,

I have heard about before on a Home Improvement Show before.
    I too have seen people paint the brick home before. My question is if people have done this before. What products have they used. You can paint something and could looks good for 3 or 4 years. Then the 5th and 6 th year it start looking like crap.

I talked and watched a guy who was painting my neighbor’s house. He seem be doing really good job. It did seem long after he painted the house the paint started peeling.
    So I am just wondering what would be a good paint to use for brick. I will have to ask my new neighbor what type of paint is he using.

Greg

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My guess is that they used an elastomeric paint / coating on their brick. It has properties that will bridge cracks and allow movement of the material while still maintaining a watertight seal.

We used this on a project oversaw once and there was a lot of moisture still getting in the wall from somewhere else. The coating blistered with all kinds of water bubbles. the wall had to be blasted, caulked, new flashings installed then recoated. It was a real PITA.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My guess is that they used an elastomeric paint / coating on their brick. It has properties that will bridge cracks and allow movement of the material while still maintaining a watertight seal.

We used this on a project oversaw once and there was a lot of moisture still getting in the wall from somewhere else. The coating blistered with all kinds of water bubbles. the wall had to be blasted, caulked, new flashings installed then recoated. It was a real PITA.

Your probably right about that type of paint he is using. I have heard about before.
    I don’t want run into a problem you have mention. Also I want to repaint every 5 or 6 years. This why I thought stain might be a way to go.

Thanks for your feedback Kurt.

Greg

Doobie

Brick is a sheathing. Be cautious about what Kurt talks about with breathing/bleeding issues. Brick is a medium for cladding. Understand its characteristics. It will shed water, but not be friendly when blocked otherwise in trying to do so as Kurt describes.

You block out your brick with a sealer, you’re entertaining a host of other issues.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Brick is a sheathing. Be cautious about what Kurt talks about with breathing/bleeding issues. Brick is a medium for cladding. Understand its characteristics. It will shed water, but not be friendly when blocked otherwise in trying to do so as Kurt describes.

You block out your brick with a sealer, you’re entertaining a host of other issues.

Thanks I will keep this in mind.

Greg

Paint and stain have one thing in common: they both use the same ‘ingredients,’ pigments and a vehicle, to create a protective layer of colour on a surface. There are a few main distinctions, the most important of which is that paint adheres to the surface of the object being painted, while stain penetrates it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I thought this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1_FRctn7Mw

Greg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.231 seconds