dcsimg

square shop vacs

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I think that all those vacs carry a healthy price tag. Besides, I think usually, for reviews, the manufacturer supplies the product.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

A lot of time these reviews are skewed heavily to one brand over another and it really is hard to read too much into them. There was a review that FWW did a few years ago that gave Festool low marks becuase they felt like most users would not want to buy bags for it and so they tested it without bags, which of course clogged the filter and degraded performance. On the Bocsh they tested a model with the filter cleaning and so it performed better. But, if you set up the vac with a Dust Deputy or something or if you buy either new bags or the replaceable bag, then performance on the Festool would probably rank at or near the top. My sense from reading this review is that it was geared more toward concrete dust removal and so they seemed to look at vacuums suited to this specific task.

Orange County, CA

I would agree that reviews are often not entirely neutral. That being said, here is another ‘review’ that included festool and bosch…

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02/top-9-woodworking-shop-vac-smack-down-ridgid-vs-festool-vs-fein-and-more

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

What I am having a tough time with is how much more expensive square vacs are than a typical circular shop vac. And do the subtle benefits warrant that massive increase in price. I guess if I did more work in sensitive environments I would need a good square HEPA unit.

redwood
    Pro

That seems to be a pretty old review there John. Maybe 2008. I think there have been a number of new models since then.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

I am not sure that the design has much to do with the cost, but I think it is more features/benefits and function. The newer vacs are almost always more powerful than the older styles and I think that having a flat surface is easier to store and you can set things on top of it. Of course Festool allows you to click Systainers on top or other accessories. I know Fein sells a basket for some of its accessories, but the round top is not conducive to storage. The new vacs also are often Hepa units and one thing I really like about Bosch and Festool is the anti-static technology. I used to get zapped when sanding when it is dry out with a non-antistatic vac/hose and it was annoying. With the newer vac this is no longer an issue (of course the tool needs to be grounded and/or anti-static coupling where the DC connects. The new machines are also ultra quiet, which is nice.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

A newer feature that I see on these square vacs is the auto start feature. I could really get used to dust control on demand.

Yes…it is awesome to not have to manually turn the vac on and off.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Scot is the automatic switch pretty reliable / does it work good?

Yep…on the Festool vacs it has been great. You can turn the vac on by itself or you can put in auto mode where it only turns on with the tool. Have had no issues with either of my vacs. One is over 4 years old and it is still going strong.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Excellent to hear, that really strengthens my personal argument to upgrade. Thanks Scot.

Yep…on the Festool vacs it has been great. You can turn the vac on by itself or you can put in auto mode where it only turns on with the tool. Have had no issues with either of my vacs. One is over 4 years old and it is still going strong.

Is there any way to know/tell that the vac is ‘on’ in auto mode or do you just have to remember that you pushed the switch on the vac?

John S

On Festool there is a pretty big dial and so you can see if it is in auto on or not. I believe the Fein vacs work the same way. Of course the other position is just off or vac only on. Hope this helps.

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

When you turn on your tool, you will usually hear a whirring sound in the vacuum.

I’ve never had any issues with my Festool midi either.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Are the vacs that quiet that this is an issue? If so, man am I missing out!

Vacs are very, very quiet…in fact, turned down a little and you could use it late at night and not disturb anyone…

Orange County, CA

Are there reviews or tests showing how ‘loud’ the different vacs are by chance?

John S

I think that many of the reviews list them be decibels. You can talk with a Festool running and hear that other people. I still wear hearing protection regardless as prolonged exposure to anything constantly running at a volume I think can cause damage. Better to be safe than sorry.

Orange County, CA

This has some very enlightening info on shop vacs, particularly the higher end ones…

http://mafell-users-forum.freeforums.net/thread/55/starmix-vacs

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.413 seconds