dcsimg

square shop vacs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

The more I look at the square Hepa vacs that almost everyone has brought to market, the more I wonder why I still have my conventional circular vacs. I see many advantages to going with a square vac, and do not see much of a down side. The two advantages that I can see are, 1. Less likely hood of tipping over, and 2. easier storage to and from the job site.
    Does anyone have a square shop vac, and is it a advantage over the traditional round vacs.

You mean like the Festool dust extractors? I have the CT26 and love it. It’s a little big for jobsite stuff, but changing bags is almost one handed it is so simple.

Plus I have never had to clean the filter, unlike my shop vac.

They both have their places. I don’t vac up junk with my Festool. An occasional pick up of dust, but that’s about it.

I agree. Although I still have the circular vac. Kent we also
    have the festool at wrk. We are looking to upgrade

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I wonder what took a company so long to design a square shop vac. The ease of storage should have been enough to come up with this design a long time ago.

I imagine creating a vacuum effect in a square is harder?? I also like Bosch’s recent move to allow for l-boxxes to fit on top of vac is a huge plus… any large flat surface on top of shop vacs would be nice to be able to put tools…

John S

woodman_412

You’re right about flat tops on vacs John, the Festool vac has a spot where the Dust Deputy can dock right on top of it which is a great idea. My round shop vac and Dust Deputy work great but they aren’t the most space efficient things in the world. The more vertical you can go the better since the footprint becomes smaller, shop floor space is usually at a premium in most shops.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I just bought a Festool Midi vac while in VA it really is a great little vac. Makes clean up a lot easier. What I really like is all the accessories come in a systainer which locks on the top of the vac. Pretty slick

woodman_412

Do you find that it was worth the extra money compared to a regular shop vac Brian? I’ve wondered about some of these higher end dust extractors and if they are worth it. I’ve been quite happy with my shop vac and Dust Deputy but it doesn’t have some of the features of the other vacs. Does it turn on with the tool it’s hooked up to?

Dan

danpattison.com

Brian I love the idea of having all the accessories neatly tucked away with the vac… I am stoked bosch is releasing vacs with l-boxxes as well

John S

redwood
    Pro

I also have the festool Midi and the attachments. I love the dustbags, it keeps the unit so clean and I’ve not had to change the filter yet. The vacuum is also much quiter then the cheap old vacs I used to use.

Yes, you can plug your tool into the vac and it turns on and off automatically.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

woodman_412

Are the dust bags reusable or are they disposable? The noise level is a definite drawback of the older shop vac that I have.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the Festool, good vac. We also have the accessories box that clips on top for storage. We have reused bags at ttimes but we try to clean up tge big stuff with a standard vac then final cleanup with the Festool. We use it a lot with our Kett dustless saw for remodels.

From everything I have seen and read – the festool vacs are definitely as good as they claim… but boy it is a little heavy on the checkbook

John S

redwood
    Pro

I do reuse the bags to certain extent. I’m primarily just vacuuming sawdust and that’s fairly easy to shake out. It would be even nicer if they had zippers, like the bags that come with saws.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

I try not to think about the cost, especially once it’s been purchased. Beleive me, a lot of thought goes into it before I make the purchase. Not a easy decision.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

woodman_412

What are the main features that really set apart the Festool vac from a normal vac for you guys? Does it save you time or just make for a better time using it?

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Well, I don’t think that it is necessarily quicker. I’m sure there are more powerful vacs out there. I like mine because it’s small and compact, stores the hose and cord well. But the way is has a long, heavy cord. Just a pleasure to work with. I’ve always had vacs, but this the first one that I take all the time and with a smile on my mug.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I been looking very hard a dust collection and have checked out the Midi to hook up to my sanders.

Attachments:

So Dirty did you end up getting the Midi? Are those your sanders in the pic? What sanders do you have?

John S

woodman_412

Here’s another question about shop vac vs Festool. Has anyone found any difference in the heat that they produce? That’s one thing that I really notice this time of year is the heat coming out of the shop vac and heating the shop up when I want it to stay cool. I thought maybe better efficiency would equal less heat?

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.260 seconds