dcsimg

Spraying shellac finish

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

This video gives a good overview of spray finishing of furniture.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Peter very helpful video, Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I can’t argue with the results…but his methods are all backwards.

And DANG is his spray rig loud!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This video gives a good overview of spray finishing of furniture.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/gHx61Ej7_BM?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ gesture=”media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That is a interesting video. Something I would like get into the future.

I can’t argue with the results…but his methods are all backwards.

And DANG is his spray rig loud!

Jon why do you say methods are all backwards? I agree his spray rig was loud.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Using the paste wax as a filler for one. Filling grain/pores should be done Under the finish as the was will just rub off (and transfer color as it is a tinted wax).

His spraying technique wasn’t great either. Short narrow passes that will create stop/start marks frequently. The gun wasn’t perpendicular to the work piece which can create an unevenness in the finish. (More finish hits the wood near the gun than at the end of the spray pattern. He also started the spray over the work piece. You should begin spraying before the pattern hits the wood.

Just to name a few…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Using the paste wax as a filler for one. Filling grain/pores should be done Under the finish as the was will just rub off (and transfer color as it is a tinted wax).

His spraying technique wasn’t great either. Short narrow passes that will create stop/start marks frequently. The gun wasn’t perpendicular to the work piece which can create an unevenness in the finish. (More finish hits the wood near the gun than at the end of the spray pattern. He also started the spray over the work piece. You should begin spraying before the pattern hits the wood.

Just to name a few…

Those all make sense. Thanks!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.331 seconds