dcsimg

Spiral Router Bits

This topic contains 47 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  MKE_Voltage 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Jason, do you rough cut your blank with a jig saw or use the router to cut away everything.

I typically use a band or jig saw to cut within a quarter inch then clean it up with the router. It is a lit easier on the router and the bits.

Kurt, that is a much better plan that what I was doing. I had a ton of excess material around the pattern which was causing the bit to work extra hard.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

No need to worry about me burning down my shop anymore. I just mounted my new 5lb extinguisher.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice Jason, I need to get one of those signs. I’ve got 3 extinguishers in my shop right now but they’re not always easy to find for people who aren’t me I bet. That’s a good idea.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

No need to worry about me burning down my shop anymore. I just mounted my new 5lb extinguisher.

Your picture reminds me I need to upgrade my dust collection distribution with my rigid shop vac.

I am on the hunt to expand my bit collection.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Your picture reminds me I need to upgrade my dust collection distribution with my rigid shop vac.

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing how you do it. I haven’t built my garage dust collection setup yet and I am open for ideas.

You have to be a little more careful with solid carbide as they are easier to chip

This is my first all carbide router bit, is there anything to keep in mind other than don’t drop it or hit it with any other metal?

Do you guys find that a certain care on the spiral cuts cleaner (top, middle bottom)?

Most of the spiral bits I have bought have little plastic tubes for storage and that is what I do to keep the edges from hitting each other and chipping. These bits are not cheap and so I try to take as much care as possible with them.

Orange County, CA

Jason, do you rough cut your blank with a jig saw or use the router to cut away everything.

I typically use a band or jig saw to cut within a quarter inch then clean it up with the router. It is a lit easier on the router and the bits.

Kurt, that is a much better plan that what I was doing. I had a ton of excess material around the pattern which was causing the bit to work extra hard.

This is definitely a tip I plan on keeping in mind for the future…. Thanks Kurt! It might save me from a fire too 🙂 haha

I haven’t built my garage dust collection setup yet and I am open for ideas.

Do you have room for a stationary dust collection system or are you going to do a shop vac? I have my eye on the Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector 1.5HP or 2HP model for a while…. Add a cyclone of sorts and boom, done!

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Do you have room for a stationary dust collection system or are you going to do a shop vac? I have my eye on the Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector 1.5HP or 2HP model for a while…. Add a cyclone of sorts and boom, done!

My space is really tight so I am thinking about a vertical shop vac and cyclone setup but who knows maybe I will go with a full size 2 hp jet. What really stinks is that last year I sold a nice 1.5 hp jet because at the time I wasn’t into wood working yet. Ahhhh I could scream when I think of that mistake.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.443 seconds