dcsimg

Spiral Router Bits

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Thanks for the advice Kurt, I think your totally right. Now that I have my new sled jig I would really like to get super clean cross routing. I will pick one up with my next order and report back. I just wish they were a little cheaper on points…Solid carbide will do that though.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’ve only been using straight bits to date, but might have to pick some of these up. I might start with the plywood bits since most of what I’m doing is sheet goods.

They do seem to be pretty pricy, but it sounds like they make a good bit of difference in dust collection as well as overall cut quality. Can you say you’ve noticed a good difference from standard straight bits in actual use?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It really makes a difference when the whole bit is carbide instead of just a cutting edge.

I think spiral bots are great – I much prefer them to straights for most every cut, especially if plunging. You have to be a little more careful with solid carbide as they are easier to chip — more brittle. But they stay sharp a long, long time and leave a nice finish.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

You have to be a little more careful with solid carbide as they are easier to chip

This is my first all carbide router bit, is there anything to keep in mind other than don’t drop it or hit it with any other metal?

Do you guys find that a certain care on the spiral cuts cleaner (top, middle bottom)?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Having never used a compression spiral router bit before, do you guys think this person’s review on Amazon is fair or exaggerated?

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!, January 8, 2014
    By woodworker (central Texas USA)

This review is from: Bosch 86026M Router Bit Solid Carbide 1/4 Compress Up and Down (Tools & Home Improvement)

You better be a professional if you’re going to use one of these. The kickback will likely tear the router or workpiece right out of your hand and maybe up your throat. This is my first experience with a spiral bit and, thinking about it, an upcut spiral should be orders of magnitude safer. If I ever again try a bit with a downcut spiral it will be in a router table with mechanical restraint and feeding of the workpiece.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Hmm, only a single review on there and this is it, I have to wonder if this is just a case of someone who didn’t take the time to understand the difference between upcut and downcut, and was running material in a way that wasn’t appropriate for the bit.

I’m far from an expert, but after doing a lot of reading since this thread came up around the internet I could see how if this person mounted a bit to a table and tried to use it to cut down the middle of a piece of material how it could have gone sideways. No different than using the wrong tool for the wrong job, I think with bits that are going to be spinning upwards of 20k RPM it’s smart to make sure you understand how it turns, how it removes material, and all of that before you start throwing wood at it. Just my 2 cents though.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think that that bit is supposed to be used in a router table.

I don’t think it is any different than using a 1/2″ panel point bit to cut openings in 1/2″ sheeting. the bit wants to run all over if you are not careful.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I think your right Kurt, that is a lot of bit to be using handheld.

Does a triple flute = a finer cut? or is a double pretty much all you need?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think the more flutes you have the better the cut, (depending on the material and grain direction) I would guess it would be similar to teeth on a saw blade.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I would like to get a spiral pattern bit and it looks like the Whiteside is the way to go. Do you guys have any spiral pattern bits?

Hi Jason — no, but that bit looks AWESOME! I have several Whiteside spiral cutters and they are amazing bits. Great finish and stay sharp for a long, long time. I think that there are three choices of this bit, depending on how you want the bearing mounted — all have their purpose.

Orange County, CA

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

So far, in my limited use of my routers, I have only used the spiral bits – for mortise cuts and some plunge cuts.
    Other than that I’m not experienced with routers and am trying to find time to practice with some of the cool bits.

That Amazon review you spoke about reminded me of an Amazon review of the 12v cordless OMT. Just about every other reviewer gave the OMT high marks, except for this guy. He said he was trying to cut through a 4 x 4 post and the OMT vibrated like heck. He said the battery only lasted 5 minutes and the second battery flew out of the OMT in 30 seconds, breaking the clips. It seemed obvious to me that the guy didn’t have a clue how to properly use the tool. I suspect he tried to force it and overheated the tool.
    Too bad some people who don’t know what they’re doing actually post reviews that cause some people to think bad about a good product. Seen this too many times.

Pat

So far, in my limited use of my routers, I have only used the spiral bits – for mortise cuts and some plunge cuts.<BR>Other than that I’m not experienced with routers and am trying to find time to practice with some of the cool bits.
    <P></P>
    <P>That Amazon review you spoke about reminded me of an Amazon review of the 12v cordless OMT. Just about every other reviewer gave the OMT high marks, except for this guy. He said he was trying to cut through a 4 x 4 post and the OMT vibrated like heck. He said the battery only lasted 5 minutes and the second battery flew out of the OMT in 30 seconds, breaking the clips. It seemed obvious to me that the guy didn’t have a clue how to properly use the tool. I suspect he tried to force it and overheated the tool.<BR>Too bad some people who don’t know what they’re doing actually post reviews that cause some people to think bad about a good product. Seen this too many times.</P>

I agree — that is why I take most reviews with a grain of salt on Amazon and places like that. I do give them more attention when they come from folks who I trust — like the folks on this forum. It is a great community here and I feel like I have started to get to know some of the users and have a tremendous amount of respect for what they do and their comments.

Orange County, CA

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Excellent point, Scot. Yes, great idea to check the reviews here first.

Pat

Too bad some people who don’t know what they’re doing actually post reviews that cause some people to think bad about a good product. Seen this too many times.

That, or the reviews on amazon that comment on the shipping speed or how the product broke while being shipped or any other way in which the person does not actually review the item… these things slowly drive me crazy 🙁

I would like to get a spiral pattern bit and it looks like the Whiteside is the way to go.

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with a Whiteside bit – apart from the fact it leaves a dent in your wallet ha.

John S

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

My Festool dealer also sells Whiteside, I’ve never seen them anywhere in town here (I went with an out of down Festool dealer in the end – but that story is a thread of its own).

I might have to pick up one of these next time, although I think I will need to burn up a few more of my cheap bits until I feel comfortable using one that pricy though. I burnt up a new Bosch straight bit this week making simple mistakes, I would have cried if it had been a Whiteside.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I burnt up a new Bosch straight bit this week making simple mistakes, I would have cried if it had been a Whiteside.

Last night I was using an el chepo Harbor Freight 1/2″ bit with the bearing on the top. I literally started a small fire with the MDF on my router table. It was a bit nerve racking since I didn’t have anything close by to put it out. I learned two important things last night: 1.) Have some baking soda and a fire extinguisher close by 2.) pay attention to the material and lay off it if the bit is getting too hot.

Thank goodness I didn’t have a high quality $90 Whiteside on there for my first attempt at pattern making because that would have cost a lot more than a new plastic router cover.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Thank goodness I didn’t have a high quality $90 Whiteside on there for my first attempt at pattern making because that would have cost a lot more than a new plastic router cover.

Ouch! did the cover actual melt out on you? Haven’t run into that yet, but did put a burn on the edge of some maple flooring I was trimming, thankfully it’s a covered edge and won’t be seen. I think I’m still getting to know the limit of my trim router vs. my larger one as well.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Jason, do you rough cut your blank with a jig saw or use the router to cut away everything.

I typically use a band or jig saw to cut within a quarter inch then clean it up with the router. It is a lit easier on the router and the bits.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.484 seconds