dcsimg

Spiral compression bits

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  wbembrid 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

I picked up a Freud 1/4″ spiral compression bit today for a job I have coming up. I’m building a bunch of mailbox compartments out of 1/2″ birch plywood, it will have 1/4″ dowels going through and sticking out both sides to hold the shelves.

It seemed like a compression but was the way to go to preserve the veneer on both sides, but I’ve heard there are some tricks to using them properly. Anyone have experience with them? Can I stack multiple sheets together and route them simultaneously? Thanks for any input.

What exactly are you going to do here? Make holes? I am not following what you plan to do.

Anonymous

I’m going to show my ignorance here but I don’t even know what a compression bit is?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I picked up a Freud 1/4″ spiral compression bit today for a job I have coming up. I’m building a bunch of mailbox compartments out of 1/2″ birch plywood, it will have 1/4″ dowels going through and sticking out both sides to hold the shelves.

It seemed like a compression but was the way to go to preserve the veneer on both sides, but I’ve heard there are some tricks to using them properly. Anyone have experience with them? Can I stack multiple sheets together and route them simultaneously? Thanks for any input.

What cutting length do you have on the bit? Top bearing, bottom bearing or both?

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m going to show my ignorance here but I don’t even know what a compression bit is?

It’s a spiral router bit that is a combination of up-cut and down-cut. They are supposed to prevent tear out on both sides of the material.

As for tips…if you’ve graduated to using spiral bits, I’d say that you probably already know how to use a router. Use a sacrificial piece of wood on each side and you will most certainly be okay.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Neither did I.

It’s a spiral router bit that is a combination of up-cut and down-cut. They are supposed to prevent tear out on both sides of the material.

Thanks Jon!

Clev08
    Pro

Neither did I.

Thanks Jon!

Now that @jponto07 explained what it is I have heard of them before, I think on a wood whispered video. I think the biggest thing to reduce year out like Jon said is to use a sacrificial piece on the ends.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I was in the same boat Boyd, that’s what is great about this forum, I just learned something else, many great tips and advice, plus now I know what a compression bit is,

@jponto07 thank you Jon, did not know that 🙂

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I was in the same boat Boyd, that’s what is great about this forum, I just learned something else, many great tips and advice, plus now I know what a compression bit is,

@jponto07 thank you Jon, did not know that 🙂

No problem! Agreed BTP is a wealth of knowledge.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice explanation Jon, Thank you

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

Honestly, I’m pretty new to routers. I’ve used an older Craftsman fixed base my father in law gave me for round overs and basic template cutting, but my Bosch MR23 plunge router just showed up this week.

I found out about the compression bits when I was researching up vs down cutting spiral bits, but compression looks like the way to go for veneered material where both sides will be visible. The 1/4″ bit was $54 though, so it comes at a price.

It also only has a 7/8″ cutting depth, so I won’t be able to stack and cut multiple 1/2″ panels at once.

This project will use 6 vertical panels that will have holes bored completely through them, with short dowels inserted to act as shelf pins on both sides. That is what they used on the other section I’m matching, though after giving it some thought I could just do dados or use regular shelf pins and a small amount of tear out wouldn’t be an issue.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

As for tips…if you’ve graduated to using spiral bits, I’d say that you probably already know how to use a router. Use a sacrificial piece of wood on each side and you will most certainly be okay.

I have never heard of them before either so that is good to know .

Thanks, I didn’t know they were called that.

Will

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.431 seconds