dcsimg

¿Specialty Saws?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Man Dirty, I have never seen anything like that in my life. That seems incredibly sweet and extremely dangerous.

I don’t have anything to break down material that large except my Stihl chainsaw. When I get into large beams I sometimes revert back to the hand saw.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Guess I forgot to attach the pic – mine is a cheapie that I bought off of Amazon, it’s buried away in a toolbox somewhere in the garage.

That’s what I see the pro floor guys using a lot. They cut the jam very fast! Seems like they use blades that go right through nails and leave a clean cut. I guess the guard gos up and down for the depth of cut?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I used to use my small trim saw more than I do now. I seem to use the 6½” saw to do the work it used to.

Attachments:
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Guess I forgot to attach the pic – mine is a cheapie that I bought off of Amazon, it’s buried away in a toolbox somewhere in the garage.

That’s what I see the pro floor guys using a lot. They cut the jam very fast! Seems like they use blades that go right through nails and leave a clean cut. I guess the guard gos up and down for the depth of cut?

Yeah, the guard travels up and down to control the height of the blade. It will cut almost flush with the floor up to about an inch above the floor.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yeah, the guard travels up and down to control the height of the blade. It will cut almost flush with the floor up to about an inch above the floor.

That’s not a saw I think I need. I used to have a 6½” saw Boss that I cut the table down to ¾” on the small side for those times when I needed a close cut. I guess you could turn that jam saw up vertical and use it for more things?

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Is there any saw you don’t have, that you would want to add to that arsenal ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

OMG There’s that beast again, I love that saw…. I’m very interested in that power hand saw on the list and it’s really not as many points as I thought it would be. Plus with the right fine blade I think it would work great for carving the Thanksgiving Turkey, Or slicing up a big Prime Rib

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

When browsing Bosch tools on Amazon, I came across this power hand saw. I wondered why anyone would need it, especially in light of what an OMT can do. Maybe you guys can educate me 🙂

Pat

Attachments:
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Pat, I think you hit the nail on the head. I cannot think of many tasks that this saw would be better than a good OMT.

What is the preferred dovetail saw for everyone?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That’s not a saw I think I need. I used to have a 6½” saw Boss that I cut the table down to ¾” on the small side for those times when I needed a close cut. I guess you could turn that jam saw up vertical and use it for more things?

You probably could. I am not a big fan of the saw, at the time I bought it I didn’t have my OMT and I had a lot of jambs to undercut. It works well, cuts a jamb faster than an OMT could but I prefer to use an OMT – much safer. If I had another job where I had to cut 25 door jambs I would dig the jamb saw back out but for just a couple doors I will stick with the OMT.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You probably could. I am not a big fan of the saw, at the time I bought it I didn’t have my OMT and I had a lot of jambs to undercut. It works well, cuts a jamb faster than an OMT could but I prefer to use an OMT – much safer. If I had another job where I had to cut 25 door jambs I would dig the jamb saw back out but for just a couple doors I will stick with the OMT.

I agree with the Multi tool for 1 or 2 but if I had a whole house to do I like the jam saw.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is there any saw you don’t have, that you would want to add to that arsenal ?

That’s a good question? I do need some Miter saws because the 2 I’m using now are old and out dated. I will be cutting some 6X6 knee braces soon so the ol Hitachi will work well.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

That’s a good question? I do need some Miter saws because the 2 I’m using now are old and out dated. I will be cutting some 6X6 knee braces soon so the ol Hitachi will work well.

I bet that old Hitachi would work better than a new Hitachi. I’ve always liked the Hitachi stuff but here the newer isn’t as good.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I bet that old Hitachi would work better than a new Hitachi. I’ve always liked the Hitachi stuff but here the newer isn’t as good.

The older Japanese made stuff is the better made stuff JMHO. The newer stuff that is farmed out the china is not as good.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I agree, the older Hitachi tools would take a beating and run forever. The new Hitachi stuff seems pretty cheap.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Well I missed out on this deal.

http://www.idealtools.com.au/articles/2013/10/28/protool-sword-saws-limited-number-at-awesome-price

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Well I missed out on this deal.

http://www.idealtools.com.au/articles/2013/10/28/protool-sword-saws-limited-number-at-awesome-price

Well that sucks. Do you know what the price of those were Red? Looks like something you guy’s could get a lot of use out of.

redwood
    Pro

I think that the article mentions the normal price of around $ 1500 and the sale price was $ 999. Don’t quote me on that, but I think it was in the article.

I was emailed that link this morning and it was already closed.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

I think that saw was in Australia, if I am not mistaken. Very cool saw for timber framing and what not.

I think an OMT would work well more most jambs. It would be hard to justify such a specialized saw. If I used it every day then it would make sense.

Pat — I am not sure on the flush cut saw — I think it would probably be faster than an OMT? Maybe the blades last longer? I noticed it was on the prize list too.

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

When browsing Bosch tools on Amazon, I came across this power hand saw. I wondered why anyone would need it, especially in light of what an OMT can do. Maybe you guys can educate me :)

Pat, I think that it has been discussed here before, but I have had that saw for a long time and it has it’s uses. It will cut a door jamb much quicker then a OMT can. I’ve used it to flush cut 2×8 joists directly against a house wall. It took a fraction of the time a OMT would have taken.

Mine came as a kit and included a miter box attachment. I never used that, but for someone without a more dedicated saws, it could handle small mouldings.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.282 seconds