dcsimg

¿Specialty Saws?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Do any of you have any Specialty Saw for a kind of work not often done? I have one it’s like a huge jigsaw. it cuts straight down 14 inches and works great for big beams.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have a jamb saw if that counts as a specialty saw.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

What do those hoses do on it – some kind of lubrication?

I have the Bosch 1640VS Power Handsaw, great for undercutting door jambs and nice straight flush cuts. Also a newcomer to the prize list I noticed this week.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1640VS

I have the Bosch 1640VS Power Handsaw, great for undercutting door jambs and nice straight flush cuts. Also a newcomer to the prize list I noticed this week.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1640VS

Just curious – what is the appeal of that handsaw over an OMT – simply the speed and depth of cut for that particular application?

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes it’s chain lubrication.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I think my favorite specialty saws are the Makita 16″ beam, and the Makita track saw.

Are those specialty saws?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think my favorite specialty saws are the Makita 16″ beam, and the Makita track saw.

Are those specialty saws?

Yes because they only come out at special times.
    I’ve got a pile on 6X beams to hack up on Friday and I’ll need the big Makita.
    Does DeWalt make a saw to cut 6X beams?

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’ve never seen a DeWalt for that. As a matter of fact I can’t think of another saw that’s 16-1/4″

redwood
    Pro

Well I have at least 3 of the saws mentioned on this list, but I don’t have Dirty’s oversized jig saw.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I’ve never seen a DeWalt for that. As a matter of fact I can’t think of another saw that’s 16-1/4″

Mafell makes one, but it is pretty expensive – about 5 times the cost of the Makita.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I have the Bosch 1640VS saw also. Bought it cheap as a reconditioned saw and have only used it a few times. I also have a Stihl chainsaw that I use for cutting logs into bowl blanks for turning. Now that’s a saw. It makes a big mess very quickly.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a makita track saw and a 10 ” Milwaukee that we use for cutting 6 x 6 posts. It is still 2 passes but a whole lot better that 4 with a 7 1/4″ saw.

I bought it when we were building a post frame cabin and had to cut some 8 x 10 timbers for the railings and a couple of other applications. we had sub contracted the timber frame so it was not used for that.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Just curious – what is the appeal of that handsaw over an OMT – simply the speed and depth of cut for that particular application?

You could produce the same result with an OMT, the advantage of the power handsaw is that you’ll be able to get a quicker cut, and it’s always going to be guaranteed to be straight with such a long and wide blade. I believe this came out before the OMT’s were really mainstream so a lot of guys would just go that route – however if you were undercutting jambs every day I think I would go with the power handsaw. I have it on my list to do a review for it soon.

redwood
    Pro

I agree with Matt on the power handsaw. I think that this has been discussed before. I rarely bring it out anylonger, since I’ve gotten the OMT, but he is right, if you had to cut a lot door jambs, it is the tool to have.

I think that I have also mentioned that it was the cat’s meow when I had to flush cut quite a number of floor joists on a 2nd story deck. I wish that I had taken pictures.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I could of used that the other day. I had to flush cut about 5 2×8’s. I ended up using the OMT. It still worked pretty good.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

This is the style jamb saw I have, it doesn’t get used much since I bought my OMT – which I don’t mind, using it was always a little hair raising.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

This is the style jamb saw I have, it doesn’t get used much since I bought my OMT – which I don’t mind, using it was always a little hair raising.

Where is it?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Guess I forgot to attach the pic – mine is a cheapie that I bought off of Amazon, it’s buried away in a toolbox somewhere in the garage.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Attachments:
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Wow Dirty, another worm drive…

I can’t get over how much those jam saws look just like an angle grinder with a saw blade.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Wow Dirty, another worm drive…

I can’t get over how much those jam saws look just like an angle grinder with a saw blade.

That’s basically all they are. That’s one of the reasons it is stuck in the garage on a shelf instead of in the job trailer.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.291 seconds