dcsimg

Source(s) for buying a Lamp Post or build my own? Install Included.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

We need to replace our nearly 20 year old three light lamp post that illuminates our otherwise darkish at nite front driveway. The old one is all scaling and I don’t want to paint it and it has always been a dog to keep the glass lamps clean and to change the bulbs in it.

I am also relocating the current lamp post just a foot away from where the existing one is, but this time with a proper concrete 4 foot deep pier to it. The old one had a MaGyvered arrangement with some old 6X6s that surprisingly lasted a very long time, but would be a bugger to entirely remove. Moving the conduit with the feed over to the next one will be a bit of a dog in itself.

The hole for the pier was dug last fall but I was holding off dealing with this for a variety of reasons, one of which was I was hoping with some work to replace our water lines on our street would either be prudent to wait til that work came along as the water main and feed work are real near to where the existing lamp post is, and to maybe enjoy some benefit in doing the work as a result of the work the town was going to do with the water main work. Well, I just found out that the water main work won’t happen til next year as we are now getting to close to winter for comfort.

Regardless, what I am having trouble finding, is actually who sells lamp posts here in Canada other than the two models I can find online at Costco.ca or on Amazon.ca. Wifey doesn’t like much anything I’ve shown her thus far, but I don’t know where else to look.

I’m also not sure what is the best type to go with. I certainly want to go LED, but I think even older models that are set up for old style incandescent or CFL bulbs should be OK anyways with just putting in LED bulbs instead. But what about the material of choice for the body? Is aluminum the way to go, or what?

But I have thought also of maybe building my own. Thought of maybe something like a lighthouse decorative theme/structure. Any thoughts on a do-it yourself light standard for a front driveway?

There may a time saver of sorts in building a lighthouse style of structure in that I would need the footprint concrete mini-pad for it to be of a significantly larger size than what would be required of just a standard lamp post. The pad for a lighthouse could cover over the existing feed line to be inherent in it from the existing light post placement once removed, and that way I wouldn’t have to move it at all. Just have the existing lamp post’s feed to go thru the base of the pad from where it comes up now.

Here’s some pics of the existing one there right now.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

You could contact a welding fabricating shop to weld you up post and you could put your own light fixtures on it. If you showed the fab shop a picture or a sketch of what you wanted. I am sure they could help you out.
    Aluminum has it advantages. It is lighter and there is no painting. It does cost more.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I use Build.com for stuff like that.

Same as Lighting Direct.

Here’s the link for their section with post lamps.

https://www.build.com/post-lights/c108928?f19213=multi%20head%20post%20lights&r=48&s=Best%20Selling&p=1&categoryId=108928

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie

Thanks for that link SD41. Man do they have a lot of variety, but unfortunately they are gonna be real expensive for me to import here to Canada.

It may all be a moot point as wifey decided now just to get this OVE made one available at Costco.ca.

https://www.costco.ca/OVE-Milton-III-LED-Oversize-Post-Lamp.product.100349099.html

I had shown it to her a month or so ago and she had dismissed it. She said she definitely didn’t want me building my own DIY style lighthouse on our front lawn although I plan on a bunch of light house themed things in our backyard around our pool. She felt doing such just doesn’t work for the front of the house. Who am I to argue. I do participate in the decision making process, but I’m the builder with wifey the person to please with what I do style wise.

The nice thing about this lamp at Costco is its an easy return should it not work out. This model is also a larger light than normally available which wifey said would be nicer than the one we currently have which is almost a foot shorter in height.

I went to the manufacturer OVE’s website and found the installation manual. I was a little shocked to find the base needs to be nearly 20 inches wide. This may actually prove to be beneficial with cutting down on some of the work involved if I can avoid having to move the feed conduit over and just tap into where it is running from the existing post being replaced as I thought would be an advantage going to a large footprint base of doing a light house lighting tower.

https://www.ovedecors.com/en/milton-3.html

I need to get started on prepping that area and figuring out this install in that regard once it arrives. New lamp post from Costco has been ordered and should arrive in 7-10 days.

Doobie

New lamp post from Costco has been ordered and should arrive in 7-10 days.

Wow, that was quick. Light got here Monday. Yesterday I unpacked it and next I’ll start work on site prep but it’s likely raining for most of the rest of this week. I’ll update as I work further on this.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow, that was quick. Light got here Monday. Yesterday I unpacked it and next I’ll start work on site prep but it’s likely raining for most of the rest of this week. I’ll update as I work further on this.

Don’t let the rain slow you down..

Doobie

It would just be a muddy mess doing this in the rain. There’s still a bunch of digging to do.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks for that link SD41. Man do they have a lot of variety, but unfortunately they are gonna be real expensive for me to import here to Canada.

It may all be a moot point as wifey decided now just to get this OVE made one available at Costco.ca.

https://www.costco.ca/OVE-Milton-III-LED-Oversize-Post-Lamp.product.100349099.html

I had shown it to her a month or so ago and she had dismissed it. She said she definitely didn’t want me building my own DIY style lighthouse on our front lawn although I plan on a bunch of light house themed things in our backyard around our pool. She felt doing such just doesn’t work for the front of the house. Who am I to argue. I do participate in the decision making process, but I’m the builder with wifey the person to please with what I do style wise.

The nice thing about this lamp at Costco is its an easy return should it not work out. This model is also a larger light than normally available which wifey said would be nicer than the one we currently have which is almost a foot shorter in height.

I went to the manufacturer OVE’s website and found the installation manual. I was a little shocked to find the base needs to be nearly 20 inches wide. This may actually prove to be beneficial with cutting down on some of the work involved if I can avoid having to move the feed conduit over and just tap into where it is running from the existing post being replaced as I thought would be an advantage going to a large footprint base of doing a light house lighting tower.

https://www.ovedecors.com/en/milton-3.html

I need to get started on prepping that area and figuring out this install in that regard once it arrives. New lamp post from Costco has been ordered and should arrive in 7-10 days.

Buying a lamp post from Costco might be the best choice. It is a pretty good price with free shipping. Making your lamp post might have got expensive.

Wow that was fast shipping! Got to love that.

LOL!! Yeah I have worked in the rain before. Also pour concrete in the rain too. I remember it wasn’t fun either.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

did you look at any ideas for building your own??

Doobie

did you look at any ideas for building your own??

Sorry, but that looks totally not what I want. Wouldn’t give off any decent illumination either. The original lamp post was installed for the primary reason of safety. My street and sidewalk are too dark at nite without it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well I didn’t mean to copy that one just thinking a home built option would be nice..

Doobie

This is actually what I had in mind, except I would have made it 7-8 feet tall instead.

But wifey nixed that idea.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Didn’t think of that.

Do most companies charge extra to ship to Canada?

I guess I’ve always just kind of thought of Canada as sort of 51st State. 😮

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This is actually what I had in mind, except I would have made it 7-8 feet tall instead.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Making a Wooden Lighthouse (Part 2 of 2)” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/1R4uaILeaLQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Now you’re talkin!!! Maybe incorporate a bird house into it and bang,,,

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Making a Wooden Lighthouse (Part 2 of 2)” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/1R4uaILeaLQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Now you’re talkin!!! Maybe incorporate a bird house into it and bang,,,

Maybe John could make one for Kevin , he’s made some pretty nice bird houses.

Doobie

Didn’t think of that.

Do most companies charge extra to ship to Canada?

Yes, but the shipping costs aren’t that terrible most times. It’s the exchange rate of our dollar vs the Greenback and the potential taxes and duties along with brokerage fees that are a hit and miss with buying stuff from the US. Add it up and it can cost us here anywhere from 35% more to almost double sometimes in Canadian dollars to have things bought and shipped direct from US retailers to us here in Canada.

Other than the exchange rate, which can’t be avoided, the rest of those elements can be a real hodge podge as to whether we get nailed on them. And you don’t know when you order and pay for something til it arrives whether the delivery will require those additional costs and even then, sometimes it’ll arrive and a few weeks later you get an invoice in the mail from the shipping company to pay additional fee(s).

Along the same subject, I just read something yesterday that as part of the trade war going with the US and other parts of the world, that one of the things that was listed was ‘tools from Germany’ coming into the US will be hit with a 25% tariff.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/us-to-impose-tariffs-on-eu-products-after-wto-victory.html

Not sure, but maybe brands like Festool, Bosch, and the likes may suddenly cost a lot more here in NA as even if this trade war is with the US, most companies from overseas ship to the US and distribute across the border here in Canada for sales here. I’m just not sure what ‘tools from Germany’ consists of. Is it things like small power tools in the trades, or is only for things large machinery/industrial stuff?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What about returns? If you ordered stuff from USA and paid tariffs, duty, delivery etc…if you need to return it due to defects, or less than expectation, do you get those fees back? If it arrives damaged and needs to be resent do you pay double fees?

Tools from Germany means German branded or German made? Lots of German branded tools are made in China.

Doobie

What about returns? If you ordered stuff from USA and paid tariffs, duty, delivery etc…if you need to return it due to defects, or less than expectation, do you get those fees back? If it arrives damaged and needs to be resent do you pay double fees?

It’s never happened to me, but if you did send it back to the US, you wouldn’t get your duties and fees back, that I’m certain. But the returned item would likely be exempt going back and forth for exchange provided it is done right as it is not being sold again which is where the duties/taxes/tariffs come into play.

Now when it comes to the ‘Brokerage Fees’ I’m not sure about that part of it. Brokerage fees are charged by ‘customs brokers’ who handle processing as a third party cross border paperwork and such. That, you might get dinged every time it crosses the border potentially, I’m not sure.

One thing that also makes it cost prohibitive now is the shipping costs potentially. Shipping costs from the US into Canada is typically not bad as I said before, but shipping from Canada to the US is not cheap. I’ve sent single box shipments of things to people in the US that weigh less than say 10 lbs and paying close to $50 CAD to ship is about what I recall the few times I’ve done it.

One way that some Canadians can get around a lot of this with buying stuff from the US is if they live close to the US border, there are places set up near border crossings on the US side that will accept a shipment for a Canadian who sets up an account with them to do just that, and all you do is go over the border and pick it up for a reasonable fee from such places. But then when you go to cross back into Canada, now you may need to declare what you bought in the US to Canadian Border Services Agents and you could be subject to federal/provincial sales taxes and/or tariff duties on the way back in. It’s a mixed bag of tricks with that also. Myself, I won’t do this as I live almost 3 hours away from the closest border crossing for me which would be Buffalo NY.

Doobie

Tools from Germany means German branded or German made? Lots of German branded tools are made in China.

I would suspect it would be the country of origin, meaning that the tool would have to have been made in Germany itself.

But the whole ‘made in’ definition differs from one country to the next from what I’ve read on this in the past.

There’s a lot of Made in the USA stuff for example that only gets most of its final assembly in the US with most or all of its parts being made and shipped from another country. Where the threshold is with what is ‘Made In”, I can’t recall and I don’t think it’s a plain and simple way these things are determined.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just read something yesterday that as part of the trade war going with the US and other parts of the world,

This “Trade War has been going on for many many years. It’s good to see the US is getting a handle on it now.

One way that some Canadians can get around a lot of this with buying stuff from the US is if they live close to the US border, there are places set up near border crossings on the US side that will accept a shipment for a Canadian who sets up an account with them to do just that, and all you do is go over the border and pick it up for a reasonable fee from such places.

I would think canada would shut this down, everyone needs to pay for all that free stuff you get.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.543 seconds