dcsimg

Some barn doors for your pleasure .

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Try less than $200 jponto07! Lol!

I can’t believe how the wood cost so much less over there,, like it grows on trees or something….

If you ever get the chance to travel across Canada Like I have, you quickly realize how much lumber we have. We have tons! We also have a lot of fresh inland water. Then of course we also have miles and miles of uninhabited land too which are very boring travelling thru at times. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. ;(

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m sure canada has lots of timber. NC has a lot of timber but 90% of it yellow pine which is grown in harvested forests.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

redwood
    Pro

We have ton’s of trees in No. Calif. as well, but mostly unwanted species (pine) or protected species (redwood)

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We have ton’s of trees in No. Calif. as well, but mostly unwanted species (pine) or protected species (redwood)

Do you have any hemlock up there..

So the 8/4 poplar was less than $60 for the door!! Here is the hardware. Nice stuff. Very well built and machined. Not sure if it is worth $900 but it isn’t cheap materials. Made in Germany.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

We have a fair bit of hemlock where I live , All of the old houses and barns including mine were all built with hemlock . The new houses are now all made with spruce .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

So the 8/4 poplar was less than $60 for the door!! Here is the hardware. Nice stuff. Very well built and machined. Not sure if it is worth $900 but it isn’t cheap materials. Made in Germany.

That looks very fancy and pretty solid too. Is it all stainless steel?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

that is some fancy machined hardware, looks really modern

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Not sure if it is worth $900 but it isn’t cheap materials. Made in Germany.

Andrew that hardware is very well made and nice machined. It should last a lifetime.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We have a fair bit of hemlock where I live , All of the old houses and barns including mine were all built with hemlock . The new houses are now all made with spruce .

The Hemlock is a nice wood. I worked with a lot of it lately.

@Austin it is stainless. Today we assembled the door frame. I made the door 1-9/16″ thick and used 10mm dominos for the joints. It is within a 1/32″ for square…I can live with that.

Andrew

JerrySats
    Pro
    Garnet Valley, PENNSYLVANIA

@austin it is stainless. Today we assembled the door frame. I made the door 1-9/16″ thick and used 10mm dominos for the joints. It is within a 1/32″ for square…I can live with that.

Looking good , what are you putting in the middle ?

@JerrySats it will get 1/4″ clear, tempered glass. This is going in an office so they will probably have their logo put on the glass as well.

Andrew

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@jerrysats it will get 1/4″ clear, tempered glass. This is going in an office so they will probably have their logo put on the glass as well.

That’s gonna look very nice.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Today we assembled the door frame

Andrew the door frame is coming along nice. Painted or stained?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

austin it is stainless. Today we assembled the door frame. I made the door 1-9/16″ thick and used 10mm dominos for the joints. It is within a 1/32″ for square…I can live with that.

@overanalyze
    Looking good Andrew.
    Is that a Bronco I see tucked away in the corner?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@58Chev yep that’s my Bronco. It is a 1968. I actually might sell it…not sure when I will ever have the time to do what I want to it.

Here is the door installed less the glass. This hardware was awesome! Very smooth…probably the smoothest I have installed. Beefy and solid. Well thought out parts.

The client needed to lock the door with a key. I found a pocket door latch that had a keyed cylinder. I made a simple stike plate to work with the lock. I am going to find a different screw for the plate…maybe a socket head cap screw…

I planed the casing down and I had just enough clearance for the hardware to glide past.

The other thing I did was route a groove in the bottom of the door so that tue guide is hidden. It worked out very well.

I also am going to change the light switch out to a gray colored one. They don’t use the switch as it is a 4 way switch and the lights usually get turned on elsewhere.

Andrew

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

That is looking pretty good. maybe you mentioned but are you using clear glass of frosted?

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I like it a lot. Never seen a barn door that had a lock on it. Very nicely done I will have to remember that. Thanks for sharing

Thanks @crotalusco! It will be clear with the company logo on it I believe.

Thanks @austin! The lock was $100 but works very smooth. I wish it was a Schlage style cylinder but it is a Kwickset style.

Andrew

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.777 seconds