dcsimg

Some barn doors for your pleasure .

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Yes I use 3/4″ maple plywood with 3/4″ clear pine. Assembly is brads and glue nothing fancy. Below you can see how I miter the edges to hide the plywood core. I’ve been doing doors like this for over 3 years and had no problems

I’ll be staining these doors .

Antique mirrors are either old mirrors that have started to fade or they make them now a days to look old and faded .

I like that! Nice work, Jerry.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yes I use 3/4″ maple plywood with 3/4″ clear pine. Assembly is brads and glue nothing fancy. Below you can see how I miter the edges to hide the plywood core. I’ve been doing doors like this for over 3 years and had no problems

Antique mirrors are either old mirrors that have started to fade or they make them now a days to look old and faded .

Why maple and pine together? They stain a bit differently and could give you nightmares when it comes to finishing.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

JerrySats
    Pro
    Garnet Valley, PENNSYLVANIA

Why maple and pine together? They stain a bit differently and could give you nightmares when it comes to finishing.

Jon because I use a plywood called Tiger lite it only comes in maple.
    It’s much lighter in weight then regular 3/4″ ply. It does take stain different then the pine but you don’t notice that much. I use a preconditioner under the stain to even everything out.

All the finishing is with water borne products.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Tiger lite…never heard of it. Is it made by the TigerPly people? With a little extra care I’m sure you could get maple and pine to stain similarly. I guess I was more curious why the whole door wasn’t maple…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

JerrySats
    Pro

Cost was the only reason I didn’t use maple 1x material . I don’t know who makes the plywood .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

With a little extra care I’m sure you could get maple and pine to stain similarly.

I’m sure too. With a little mixing and using 2 different colors it could be made to look like all one wood.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Definitely a nice solid way to build a door. Do you notice any warping after they are built or does the ply keep everything pretty stable?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I like it, nice way to finish the door edge.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like it, nice way to finish the door edge.

Real nice touch to hide the plywood core. Very nicely done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I”m building two barn doors for a customer . These will slide on an over head track . The upper section of the doors will have a mirror that will have a false grid to give a 3 over 3 look . I’ll post some pics of the finishing process and the final install of them if you guys are interested in seeing more let know .

The doors measure 89×39 and 2 3/16″ thick , pretty big doors .

Looks great, nice way to build the doors, and as far as the stain. I guess it’s probably even better if it’s not exactly, especially if they are going for an antique look, looking forward to seeing the end product. Thank you for sharing.

Those look like nice and sturdy doors. I am interested to see the track system once you get them installed.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

here is the barn door hardware I used earlier this year. Way more than I needed for the job but a fraction of the cost of household product.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

nice work on those doors Jerry. they are looking fabulous

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

JerrySats
    Pro

Definitely a nice solid way to build a door. Do you notice any warping after they are built or does the ply keep everything pretty stable?

No problems with then warping at all. The plywood keeps it pretty flat and I hand pick all the pine 1x material .

Thanks for all kind words .

I”m building two barn doors for a customer . These will slide on an over head track . The upper section of the doors will have a mirror that will have a false grid to give a 3 over 3 look . I’ll post some pics of the finishing process and the final install of them if you guys are interested in seeing more let know .

The doors measure 89×39 and 2 3/16″ thick , pretty big doors .

Looks great, nice way to build the doors, and as far as the stain. I guess it’s probably even better if it’s not exactly, especially if they are going for an antique look, looking forward to seeing the end product. Thank you for sharing.

My thoughts too , dings and imperfections are ok for this look.

Great way to get a nice beefy door. Looking forward to seeing it all finished.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Any issues with staining the doors with dis similar woods? or are they painted after?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

here is the barn door hardware I used earlier this year. Way more than I needed for the job but a fraction of the cost of household product.

that is interesting, where did you get the hardware? I was looking at lee valley and the hardware was around 330 bucks canadian.

JerrySats
    Pro

Any issues with staining the doors with dis similar woods? or are they painted after?

I’m staining these doors, the maple plywood takes stains different then the pine does . It’s not that bad I just blend it best I can.

I need to build a 46 inch wide barn door. Any suggestions for an affordable set of hardware? Id need an 8 or 9 foot rail, I figure, which rules out most of the choices available

JerrySats
    Pro

I need to build a 46 inch wide barn door. Any suggestions for an affordable set of hardware? Id need an 8 or 9 foot rail, I figure, which rules out most of the choices available

I’ve found once you go past 36″ the companies that make longer track aren’t many . You can easily spend $1000 or more . If you have a metal supplier close by just buy some 1/4″or 3/8″ thick x 2″ wide flat bar stock and buy the hardware (rollers and spacers and other hardware ). This is what I’m going to do for these set of doors .
    I’ve seen guys make the hardware ( rollers, straps and such) but I’m not about to take time to do that. The last doors I did my customer spent over $1000 for hardware .

Depending on the location of door you could use sliding hardware used on real barns , that’s usually pretty cheap compared to nicer hardware . Don’t know if you have a tractor supply where you are .

http://www.tractorsupply.com/

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.654 seconds